PDA

View Full Version : Bosal Catalytic Converter (part # 099-1107)

bellyrubs
06-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Just installed the Bosal Catalytic Converter 099-1107 to replace my OEM cat with 137k on it, ( was getting the 0420 CEL code). I had ordered it a few months ago from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Bosal-Catalytic-Converter-099-1107/dp/B002E29I3M/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Honda%7C59&Model=Civic%7C752&Year=2003%7C2003&carId=001&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleType=5

When it was shipped, they did not box up the cat to ship, they simply shipped the bare cat with a FedEx sticker on it and taped up the ends. Now, in hindsight, I should have shipped it back for a refund and ordered it somewhere else, but I figured it was made of metal and would be ok, so I stuck it in my garage as is and waited til I had some time off work to get it installed. (meanwhile I'm still running the stock cat with an O2 deflouler to pass inspection and to get rid of the CEL)

3 months pass and I finally get it installed (with the correct OEM gaskets I had ordered) at a reputable shop here in Austin, TX. Once its done and I get in the car and rev the engine, I noticed some vibration from the cat and noise coming from that area Sort of sounds like grinding/ rattling. Its not too bad but i call the shop owner over. He hears it and says, 'its your part, I installed it correctly, and it might make some noise given that its not an OEM part.' He says he can put the OEM cat back on if i want. I understand his point of view completely, he did the work (its just a bolt on part) and hes not going to warranty the part I brought in to install.

The Bosal cat is much lighter than the OEM one, its possible its vibrating due to the weight difference. The plus side is I'm already getting much better MPG compared to my clogged up cat, but the noise at idle is super annoying and can be quite loud during downshifts. I am noticing much more airflow noise thru the header/ cat when gassing it than before, and it does sound somewhat better when revving it past 4k rpm, but I'm not hearing as much of my AEM CAI do tot he increased header air noise.

I guess my question is, does anyone else have experience with this Bosal cat, and could possibly recommend another cat besides the $900 OEM Honda one, or should I just go to a race header and o2 defouler :mtongue:

or, should I take it to another shop to look at the install?

1st
06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
This is a cheap cat if not in the state of California or any other state that does not have smog laws. As far as Amazon sending the cat in no box and just having fedex toss it around via shipping is BS. I would imagine that the inside of the cat probably got rattled up and that’s maybe why it’s making that noise. When I Bought my cat it came in a box within a box vacuumed sealed with bubble wrap oem from Honda. Not sure of smog laws in Texas but if none run race header without a doubt. If you have smog laws how strict is it? Play it safe or not. Hard question to really answer without knowing the consequence I run a cat for the simple fact Cali don’t play impounds, fines I’m good no thanks.

bellyrubs
06-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Ya, I'm in Texas, so the laws arent as stiff as Cali but they do test the exhaust fumes during inspection so I'd rather keep it legal. i'm working with Amazon now and the 3rd party retailer that is was sold from (car part kings) to get it returned and a refund. A race header would be cool but its not really necessary, I've order a direct fit MagnaFlow cat (Magnaflow Direct Fit Catalytic Converter 02-05 Civic Si 2.0L OEM 49142) for a decent price online so we'll see how that goes once it's installed.

My advice would be to stay away from this Bosal cat, at least if you plan on ordering from this Amazon seller as they do not properly package their parts.

This is exactly how the cat was shipped, no box :
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/528888_364356600269226_198610510_n.jpg

bellyrubs
06-20-2012, 11:06 AM
So I got an email regarding my Amazon claim to call Car Part Kings, which I did and they told me that this cat is only for the base RSX and not the Civic SI, even the majority of parts for these cars are interchangeable, and it's even listed on both Bosal's and Amazon's site that this cat is direct fit for the Ep3.

The kicker is that the rep from CPK told me to remove the cat ASAP as it could catch fire. great news...

The only upside is that I can return the cat for a full refund, but I'm out the labor charge ($125) for having the cat installed and I went ahead an reordered new gaskets in case the ones I just got can't be reused ($40)

What's ironic is that for the return back to them, I'm supposed to pack the cat securely in a box, (and pay for postage) which they clearly didn't do went they sent it to me. If they had packaged it in a box in the first place, we might not have this issue.

I guess I've learned that sometimes you just gotta fork over the money for an OEM cat.

RotaryGreg
06-20-2012, 07:05 PM
you know what, it sounds to me like the RSX fitment is the issue, not the packaging etc.

The exhuast is longer on an RSX. I cant be 100% but i thought some of that length is in the cat pipe.

If this is true, then the whole system will be stressed and tweaked trying to cram this cat pipe in place of the stock one. In which case, the flex joint/donut gasket with the spring bolts could be maxed out and leaking as well as the pipe hitting on the floor, frame, or sway bar.

Theres your rattle and your exhaust leak right there. The exhaust shop should check that the part is the correct part before trying to install it, even if they didnt supply it. If its obviously wrong they are going to have a pissed off customer, whether its their fault or not.

Anytime I've ever had to install customer supplied parts before, I always take a little extra time to make sure they are correct before starting. I'll look up the part numbers on google real quick or bust out the measuring tape. Also, compare the old parts to the new ones once you've got them off the car....better business practicies, regardless of fault, would make the world a slightly better place IMO.

tinman5
06-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Unfortunately the latest round of legislation here in Texas requires a visual verification of a cat in the exhaust. They are not testing for emissions (at least not here in San Antonio) but the inspector now has to poke his/her head under the car and under the hood. Sucks for me because I am running a race header and Mugen cat back. I am gonna have to pay a lot for my inspection sticker that is due this month.

Boo I say. Boo...

bellyrubs
06-21-2012, 08:10 AM
you know what, it sounds to me like the RSX fitment is the issue, not the packaging etc.

The exhuast is longer on an RSX. I cant be 100% but i thought some of that length is in the cat pipe.

If this is true, then the whole system will be stressed and tweaked trying to cram this cat pipe in place of the stock one. In which case, the flex joint/donut gasket with the spring bolts could be maxed out and leaking as well as the pipe hitting on the floor, frame, or sway bar.

Theres your rattle and your exhaust leak right there. The exhaust shop should check that the part is the correct part before trying to install it, even if they didnt supply it. If its obviously wrong they are going to have a pissed off customer, whether its their fault or not.

Anytime I've ever had to install customer supplied parts before, I always take a little extra time to make sure they are correct before starting. I'll look up the part numbers on google real quick or bust out the measuring tape. Also, compare the old parts to the new ones once you've got them off the car....better business practicies, regardless of fault, would make the world a slightly better place IMO.

I think you are exactly right on this one, as that is where the noise appears to be coming from when driving the car. I couldn't hear anything with the hood open over the engine noise. The seller (car part kings) also said this cat is for the base RSX, even though Amazon and Bosal say this is a direct fit replacement for the Ep3. Obviously this cat does not work for the Ep3 as confirmed by RotaryGreg and my experience with it installed.

I already have another cat on the way and I can thankfully return this one for a full refund. I was thinking about replacing the cat myself, it can't be too difficult can it? My gf and I have installed an AEM CAI, replaced the door lock actuators, and front component speakers, so we have some experience with working on this car. I've been looking for the write up for this (and the header install one too) if anyone has this handy that would be great!

RotaryGreg
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Unfortunately the latest round of legislation here in Texas requires a visual verification of a cat in the exhaust. They are not testing for emissions (at least not here in San Antonio) but the inspector now has to poke his/her head under the car and under the hood. Sucks for me because I am running a race header and Mugen cat back. I am gonna have to pay a lot for my inspection sticker that is due this month.

Boo I say. Boo...

Well, not that I advocate illegal activities, but I've heard of people with modded cars that will spot weld or clamp a cat converter shaped heat shield onto a straight pipe of their exhaust so that anyone looking under their car might think its a cat. Here in ontario we have to do emission testing so you still need some sort of cat to pass that, but this trick has worked to prevent road side suspensions if you get pulled over.

and bellyrubs, its worth getting under the car and looking at it to see if you think you can do it. theres no telling what the exhaust shop did to get that part on there, but assuming they simply unbolted the old one and installed the new one without any issues, it should be a peice of cake.

Note, I had to replace my donut between the header and cat several times over a few weeks (couldnt get one that fit right) and this ended up messing up the threads on the header to cat pipe flange. so be careful with that.

Also, let us, or at least me, know how the new one fits. Im going to need one soon

bellyrubs
06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
ya, I'm sticking with a cat for now, as its legal and better for the environment, plus this is my daily driver, not trying to take it to the track or anything. I ordered the MagnaFlow OEM 49142, should be here Monday, I'll post some pics up off all 3 cats so we can see the difference. Thanks for all the info!

bellyrubs
07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
So I got the MagnaFlow OEM 49142 cat installed this morning at Muffin Muffler here in Austin. Even though the Magnaflow cat seemed to match up perfectly to the OEM one, there was still a gap between the cat and the catback pip to the exhaust. The shop asked me if I wanted to extend the pipe or the cat, so I choose the cat and they welded an extra piece in there to make it fit. Also, the little hook thing from the cat hung well below the frame so I had them redo that piece so it was not below the frame.

They did it all for $145 which I think is decent considering that was only $20 more than the quoted price for just bolting it in. They even left my O2 defouler in place. Great shop and now no more annoying noise from the engine bay while driving.

If I had to do it all over again though, I would consider just ordering the OEM cat from Honda since I'm not going to mod this car and plan on selling it in the next 1-2 years. The Magnaflow is decent for $330 shipped to my door and if you have a good shop around to extend it to the correct size.

magnaflow cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/snasedog/IMG_2321.jpg

Stock OEM cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/snasedog/IMG_2317.jpg