PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding a header-back exhaust, any suggestions?

Reaper27
06-25-2012, 02:57 AM
Like the title says I'm looking for header back exhaust that will fit without modification. I have a skunk2 RH and a hacked up DC sport exhaust on it right now that I'm really wanting to get rid of. I got a quote from a local shop for a custom stainless exhaust to matchup but it was over $900 and I'm not looking to spend that much. I've found that most catbacks won't bolt up directly to a RH without modding it. I called skunk2 to see if their mega power R exhaust would bolt up to their RH and all the douche would tell me was that he wasn't sure and that there would probably have to be modification. It was like pulling teeth to talk to him, he would just say No or Idk and then sit there, no help nothing. It really pissed me off cause I'm like dude its your damn product at least you could do is point me in the right direction. But anyway that enough of my rant on that, please guys any suggestions or current set-ups that ya'll have or have had? Thanks

bchaney
06-25-2012, 05:37 AM
If your header is ep3 spec any ep3 catback should bolt right up. Personally I'd stay away from skunk2... never heard anything good about them and your story sounds familiar.

Reaper27
06-25-2012, 06:53 AM
See that's the problem, I had a DC sport cat-back on their when I put the header on and the exhaust was too long for it to fit, hence the hacked up exhaust that's currently on it. Now as far as skunk2 products go the header it awesome quality and works great, all the skunk2 products that I have used, I have had no issue with but their customer serivce sucks horribily bad. I think the issue may lie with the adapter that they send with it I bolt from the two bolt flange to the three bolt flange (why it can't all be the same idk). Does anyone like
Vibrant make a flange that is short it shorter if you've had experience with this header?

differentK
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM
sounds like the skunk2 header is an RSX specific header- hence your ep exhaust is too long. if you want to keep that race header then your going to need a RSX specific mid pipe- then a ep axle back.

Reaper27
06-25-2012, 11:44 AM
I never thought about that. When u ordered it it said it was EP3 specific but are the RSX headers longer than EP3 headers? Or could I just do a RSX cat-back with it?

tinman5
06-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I am running a DC race header with a Mugen twin loop catback, perfect fit.

bchaney
06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I think the skunk2 header is made for both ep3/dc5 so the difference must be the test pipe section (piece w 2-bolt flange on one end, 3-bolt on the other). If you can buy just the ep3 test pipe section from skunk2 then you can bolt up any ep3 catback. It sounds like you have the dc5 test pipe now so you could also follow differentK's advice. A full dc5 catback will not fit as the axleback is too long for the ep3 chassis.

Reaper27
06-25-2012, 05:47 PM
But a RSX midpipe will tie the header and the axel-back in like it's suppose to?

bchaney
06-26-2012, 05:02 AM
Yes - rsx header + rsx midpipe + ep axleback will fit the ep chassis.

Reaper27
06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Ok, sorry guys but I'm still having a little trouble. All the midpipes and test pipe that I find are made to bolt up to a shorty header and delete the cat. Since this is a RH this is already done so what do I need to get? Just te middle section of a stock RSX exhaust or something else?

whatsvtec
06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
As stated twice before. You need an RSX-S midpipe. Sheesh

sistealth02
06-26-2012, 09:58 PM
As stated twice before. You need an RSX-S midpipe. Sheesh

Calm down homie. lol. He's obviously new to the figuring out how to fit up headers and exhausts idea on our cars...give him a break. We're all family here.

sistealth02
06-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Ok, sorry guys but I'm still having a little trouble. All the midpipes and test pipe that I find are made to bolt up to a shorty header and delete the cat. Since this is a RH this is already done so what do I need to get? Just te middle section of a stock RSX exhaust or something else?

I currently have a Buddyclub race header and buddy club spec 3 exhaust....all direct bolt on and perfect fitment. You can go with a spec 4 if you so desire. The spec 3 is a little more expensive than the spec 4. You will be very happy with the turn out.

And about your problem with Skunk2... I do all (or most of) of my parts gathering and research through Brandon at Inline4....he is great to talk to and get advice/info from....no problems with him or the company whatsoever. Just food for thought.

gamma6
06-26-2012, 10:08 PM
What ever u do, id avoid going to a shop to get a custom exhaust... Might as well buy it from ebay... Only thing u sacrifice is fitment and quality but u can go around that by working on it, or if ur lucky everything will be right on... Both exhausts ive bought from ebay fit perfectly fine and held up for a while but like i said its a gamble

Reaper27
06-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks for all the help guys, I understand how it works my problem is actually finding the midpipe to buy. Everything that I find is either a test pipe that I don't need or a mid pipe that bolts to a shorty header. I can find just the middle section of the exhaust. I was trying to avoid buy a entirely new exhaust because money is a little tight so if I can buy just the midpipe that would be great but I'm just having a hard time finding one.

whatsvtec
06-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Ill pm you with some links later, there are tons of midpipe options

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

los
06-27-2012, 11:43 AM
@whatsvtec can you share the info please !!!!! im looking for a mid pipe too i have a cat back just sitting cuz i dont have a mid pipe

Reaper27
06-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Ill pm you with some links later, there are tons of midpipe options

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

That would be great man cause for some reason I can't find them

whatsvtec
06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
@whatsvtec can you share the info please !!!!! im looking for a mid pipe too i have a cat back just sitting cuz i dont have a mid pipe

A "cat-back" should be a midpipe and an axleback muffler.

A "cat-back" exhaust for our cars will meet directly to a race header as well

(RSX-S race header will require an RSX-S midpipe, but still keep an ep3 spec axleback.
Some exhausts are the exact flange fitment of OEM(they are interchangeable) and some are not. Knowing this is important in determining if a midpipe is.. A)Going to fit at the Race Header flange or "CAT" flange. AND..B) If the axleback is going to meet up with the OEM spec midpipe.

On to the pipes.
For Reaper27
T1R - Great sound, I love my EP spec t1r catback, amazing quality. !!OEM FITMENT!!(The linked product is RSX-S SPEC)
http://www.speedstar-racing.com/store/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/34_69_139/products_id/506

Another midpipe option
Megan(the link is EP3 spec)
http://thmotorsports.com/i-129990.aspx?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_content=129990NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GoogleShoppingSeanNOFITMENT&gclid=CJbu5_S877ACFUlN4AodZjd7tQ

los
06-27-2012, 04:34 PM
so if i have an axle back im best off with race headers ? right

whatsvtec
06-27-2012, 05:04 PM
no.
You still need a "catback" exhaust. The raceheader replaces the original header and cat-con section of exhaust.

Reaper27
06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
Ok, I'm liking the price of the Megan mid section but I need the RSX-S spec pipe instead of the EP3 pipe right?

los
06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
oops my bad i ment cat back not axleback i have a skunk cat back so now i can just run a race header

whatsvtec
06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Ok, I'm liking the price of the Megan mid section but I need the RSX-S spec pipe instead of the EP3 pipe right?

Correct

I think you'll like the quality of hte T1R :mwink:

sistealth02
06-28-2012, 12:38 AM
no.
You still need a "catback" exhaust. The raceheader replaces the original header and cat-con section of exhaust.

+1

sistealth02
06-28-2012, 12:53 AM
whatsvtec....i hope thats not you in ur avatar pic...lmao. that's hilarious.

Reaper27
06-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Correct

I think you'll like the quality of hte T1R :mwink:

Ok, haha I bet I would too the issues the funds right now and it's kinda a priority. It sounds like I have a helicopter taking off in my car when I idle.