PDA

View Full Version : Engine / Vtec Issue

civicsmoke420
06-26-2012, 04:36 PM
So I have had my '02 Ep3 for about two years now. The only other person to own the car before me took meticulous records of maintenance and repairs so I pretty much know everything that has been done to it and when. It is used as my daily driver and has never had any issues until recently. As of the last week or so whenever I take the car out and drive it before the engine heats up it will redline at 3800 rpm and will not go any further and immediately throw out out a P1259 (Vtec Electronic control malfunction). If I turn off the engine and restart it the engine will go beyond 3800 rpm but will lack power as if it is in "limp mode" and the code stays on. I clear the code and limp mode goes away until I drive the car again cold.

The engine has been religously run on Mobil 1 10w-30 since the day it left the showroom floor (literally) and it is kept in an underground garage which stays around 68 degrees. I seriously do not think it is an oil pressure issue but I could be wrong.

I have an entire extra head and valve train with all the sensors, valves, springs, cams, vtec and vtc systems, etc... in the garage so I have the replacement parts on hand but I need to know if I should just replace a specific part (and which one) or just go balls to the wall and replace the entire vtec and vtc systems?!?

dkid15
06-26-2012, 05:03 PM
How many miles are on the car? It's completely stock? Check to make sure your oil isnt low... Then you can go and inspect the vtec solenoid which is most likely the issue.

civicsmoke420
06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
the car has 130,000 miles on it but, like I said, it has been meticulously maintained. This is the first issue that it has ever had. The oil level was the first thing I checked and it was fine. All of the basics have been checked and are all fine. I am going to pull the solenoid tomorrow and check it with the voltmeter. Its supposed to have between 14 and 18 ohms of resistance so I will check that first.