PDA

View Full Version : Time to change timing chain... How to?

Jacksond
06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
So I believe at 110k miles I should pry change my timing chain. I've done some searching but found very limited info. First off I know I should change chain tensioner and guides but what else? Can I change this without removing my engine? I've found mixed info on that as well. Are there any other ""better" chains besides the 200$ toda chain? Are there any DIY's for doing this ? Please any I for would be great

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Yes u probably should change ur tensioner. No u dont have to remove the engine, only a small cover over the tensioner. Save ur money and but an oem tensioner (unless u have crazy cams).

civicSIracer
06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
there is no need to replace the chain on a maintenance schedule..

MIGEEZY
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
IIRC the timing chains on k series should last the lifetime of the motor.

los
06-26-2012, 09:03 PM
yea dont change it but if you do its not too easy to take the crank pully off its actually a bit*h i snapped a bunch of tools and failed so yeah either way its sposed to last the life of your engine do what the other guys suggested they are right good luck wit it

Jacksond
06-26-2012, 10:24 PM
The reason I'm ranking it's time for timing chain work is my car gives the gasping noise when turning off the car. I also have pretty bad ticking during warming up and below vtec (thinking the tick is apparent before vtec but persists all the time but engine noise drowns out the sound any higher) I am going to check valve lash before I buy anything. So change tensioner and guides as well? Car has 103xxx on the clock, I just don't want to out off something as important as this if it is getting "time " to check it all out. Car is mostly stock Side from aem v2 short ram. Thanks.

303EP
06-27-2012, 06:33 AM
The reason I'm ranking it's time for timing chain work is my car gives the gasping noise when turning off the car. I also have pretty bad ticking during warming up and below vtec (thinking the tick is apparent before vtec but persists all the time but engine noise drowns out the sound any higher) I am going to check valve lash before I buy anything. So change tensioner and guides as well? Car has 103xxx on the clock, I just don't want to out off something as important as this if it is getting "time " to check it all out. Car is mostly stock Side from aem v2 short ram. Thanks.

Sounds to me like you need to do a valve adjustment. Do that and change your oil as well

jri93
06-27-2012, 10:35 AM

the gasping sound you hear is due to your aftermarket intake. I used to have a V2 also and it made the same sound. Now i have a cold air and its not as loud but you can still hear it.

dj addicted
06-27-2012, 04:00 PM
156K here and still running the original timing chain. I had a valve adjustment done around 100K and the motor still runs strong. Wish I could say that about aftermarket clutches. lol

bchaney
06-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Yea there's no need to replace the timing chain... thats the beauty of a chain over a belt. If you want to replace the tensioner that's not a bad idea. I'd go with the TSX tensioner unless you have aftermarket cams. I also wouldn't spend 200 bucks on a chain that is prob lower quality than OEM.

Download the service manual for your DIY. You will also find the maintainance schedule in there - notice that timing chain / tensioner replacement isn't in there but valve adjustment is. Def do a valve adjustment before trying anything more involved that is prob unnecessary.

USAF EP3
06-28-2012, 02:40 PM
If it makes you feel any better, just remove the chain tensione and check for any excessive wear. Check the ratcheting system and the teeth on the piston for wear. If it checks out good then there's no need to worry about the timing chain. The chain will stretch over a time yes, but it's so minute you can't measure it without precision instruments.

Excessive timng chain stretching usually goes hand in hand with a tensioner that has too much wear thus allowing the chain to slack and constrict too much.

Popeye
06-30-2012, 02:44 PM
+1 on what everyone else is saying. The ticking you are hearing isnt your chain. All you should have to do is replace the tensioner.

We need an emoticon that shows someone beating a dead horse...

Jacksond
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
What is the benefit of a tax tensioner over the ep's oem? Should the guides be changed as well? I imagine if it is fairly easy and if i'll be in that area replacing the tensioner should i just change those as well, or are they fairly difficult to replace (not a big deal, I'm up to a challenge)?

Popeye
06-30-2012, 03:09 PM
I dont think its terribly hard. Not sure, but I THINK there might be a how-to or DIY on it somewhere.

lbk02si
06-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I agree, no need to change the tensioner if the motor is stock. If you just can't stand it and want to do it anyways, the Hybrid Racing tensioner and Today timing chain and balancer chain are great upgrades. BUT again, thats a little overkill for a stock motor. One thing you could upgrade thats easy and cheap is the upper chain guide. Get the one from the 07 Si, its a little longer than the one they used on ours therefore does a better job.

02_epdriver
07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
I just passed the 200k mark the other day on my EP I havent touched the tensioner or chain. Ive inspected but still looks good to what I can see. All engines are different from one another but whatever makes you feel comfortable do it. They always say if it's not broken then dont fix it. I say I may over do it when it comes to maint on my EP but it's lasted this long so it makes me feeler a little safer everytime I drive down the road. I did replace my water pump at 110k though. I may change it again here soon. I change my oil every 5k with a filer change at 3k. I change my tranny fluid every 10k. I use to change my iridum spark plugs every 15k but that became an overkill since these are 75 to 100k plugs. I'm still on my stock original clutch as well. I'll be curious to see how things last when I'm done with my k24a1 build.