PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or no?

Jschoch2
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I've just bought an 05 civic si with K-Pro tunable ECU, Megan Racing Catback exhaust, K&N Short Ram intake, MUGEN racing suspension (makes the ride a little more stiff but the handling is amazing. Lowered the car about 1.25".), Motegi FF7 18" rims with Goodyear Eagle GT tires.

The engine has not been motified in any way it still has the k20a3. This is also going to be a long term daily driver and I don't want to be messing with the engine too much other than installing the mod.

I know it sounds stupid but honestly let me know what I can do that this engine can handle so that I can take it another 4-5 years without it dying on me.

ep3k20
06-27-2012, 06:29 PM
i say yes turbo's are a blast especially if you just want a lot of extra power. To maintain a good reliable DD, just dont go ape shit with the boost and you will be fine the a3 is a stout underated motor that can handle a lot of abuse..even from FI. But again reliable and power go hand in hand. Dont go cheap, dont cut corners, do it right and it will treat you right. Do it cheap, and it will cause you headaches

USAF EP3
06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Turbo. :mcool:

AKAahlecks
06-28-2012, 08:35 AM
I know you didn't ask, but I would think that a supercharger would be less of a headache and easier to maintain for a DD.

MugenReplica
06-28-2012, 09:25 AM
What are you going to be using your Ep3 for?

DD?

Highway rolling?

Hard parking?

AutoX?

Twisty backroad fun?

On track participation (aka HPDE, drivers school, etc)?

Do you have lots of time to constantly check your Ep for maintenance?

differentK
06-28-2012, 10:07 AM
^^ figure this out then ask yourself how much $$ and time/ commitment your willing to throw at it. Be honest with yourself though- you dont want to end up with a car packed full of random parts that wont stay together or a garage full of expensive parts with a car you cant put back together.

Jschoch2
07-01-2012, 12:05 AM
This car will mostly be used in the city with the occasional once a week drive about 30 minutes on the highway. I really don't mind saving up and spending the money needed I just want to have a fast and reliable car.

ep3k20
07-01-2012, 12:07 AM
This car will mostly be used in the city with the occasional once a week drive about 30 minutes on the highway. I really don't mind saving up and spending the money needed I just want to have a fast and reliable car.

welp, should have a bought a supra then :mcry:

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-01-2012, 01:03 AM
sounds like you're better off with a different car...or a k24 swap..an expensive k24 swap would be more reliable than if you tried to do it cheaper.

sucks that the ep3 came with a3's

a2 isnt enough power...

I'm assuming you want more than 200hp and more torque

k24 solves that without all the maintainence and reliability issues of FI

just my opinion

makavelibranded
07-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Boost if done right can be great. I got lucky and found a used revhard kit in cali with a EBC, and test pipe for 1500 with 20k on it. Its now 4 years later, on a great street tune, and stock clutch around 7-8 PSI should be sitting around 250- 260 im guessing (a3's usually have issues over 300hp). Im going to seriousy knock on wood, but ive raced my car plenty, autocross, onramp pulls and dead highway pulls, a few street races, safe no traffic, but I still dont condone that, and the worst problems ive had over the past 4 year was I left my headlights on once, and I had a vacuum line pop off once after an autocross event. I definatly should have fully tuned it years ago but now im kind of milking it out till I get a k24a1.

makavelibranded
07-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Also the 2-3 years pre boost I owned the car I redlined it once or twice, never really drove it hard which im sure helped keep the engine healthy and happy.