PDA

View Full Version : noise from passenger brake asap

black05ep
06-28-2012, 02:41 PM
Im getting a crazy noise from my pass.brake. sounds like jingling change randomly.and goes away when i push the brake. Happened before and change the pads(brand new) and it stopped for a few months until now. Is this what is referred to as brake chatter? I thought it was the pad sticking but i had someone tell me its probly my brake hose.need help asap. Is there anything i can do to temporarely fix it til next week?

tinman5
06-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Assuming you did not, rotate the caliper up and make sure the shims are in place and squeeze some brake pad anti-rattle silicone stop squeak stuff.
I find myself renaming things alot lately...getting old sucks...

black05ep
06-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Ok ill try that. First before i order some braided lines.i remember putting the pad clips/shim thing on the pad,but ill check that again.thanks

tinman5
06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm talking about that silicone goop you can get from the parts counter. They run like $1.99 for a small packet a bit bigger than an average ketchup packet from any fast food joint.

Also, you may want to remove the caliper sliding pins and regrease them as well as do a visual check around the hub area. Make sure you dont have any loose bolts or suspension pieces, check the ball joint boots and what not. Hell, I had sqeaking brakes for a few months now with no discernable reason. Replaced the pads and after a couple weeks, the same thing. Turns out the driver side axle nut was about 1/3 of a turn loose. I discovered that simply out of desperation. Sure enough, that fixed everything.

Irrelevant story, I know, but hopefully it will give you an idea or thought you may have missed. Good luck.

black05ep
07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Welli was desparate. This past sat i went to c iron maiden a 2 hour drive north of me and i was freaking about the noise. After i got tires i bought that stop squeak stuff put that on a regreased the sliders.didnt work. I did find out that my brake fliud was super low. Fillled it up. Helped alot. Still geting the noise though.. maybe bleed the brakes? Idk what to do now? Besides buy a new hose and pads. The rotor doesnt seem warped because it squeaks randomly not in a rhythm.

black05ep
07-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Now if it squeaks i can tap the brake and it will stop for a pretty good while.

rd02SiR
07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Try to bleed the brakes.

I know this sounds stupid, but check the part number for the pads. See if it's the proper pads.

Or jack the car up and spin the wheel and try to find the noise that way.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

black05ep
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
yea the pads are correct i know. bleeding the brakes is the next thing im going to try, seeing as i added fluid and it helped. i also thought about jacking it up and spinning the wheel. but now it happens less frequently. it could b an hour before i hear the noise again and thats when im driving. it could take longer spinningthe wheel. thanks though im going to try those next.

black05ep
07-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Still getting the noise. Stopped fora few days then came back.it seems to happen more wen i hit bumps.. Today i jacked the car up spun the wheel and compared it to the driver side. Something is binding on the passenger side for sure.took the brake caliper off again. Pushed the piston back regreases the pins and rechecked my brake fluid again. Went for a ride. Think i heard it once for a moment but unsure. Im just trying to narrow everything down. Next i will try to bleed my brakes. Does anyone know the order to bleed. Is it RR LR LF RF? If that doesnt work then ill try for some braided stainless brake lines.

tinman5
07-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Front left, front right, rear right and then rear left.
Backwards I know, has to do with the ABS system.

black05ep
07-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Ok thanks. Ill try that next. And ill look for loose bolts.its more prominant on left hand turns. And when i tap the brake it goes away then when i turn or hit a bump it comes back. Next it will be rotors and brake lines.any other suggestions?

rd02SiR
07-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Could be a dust shield? Or the brake line is not attached to the shock.

Are you able to make a video and post it?

Can you describe the noise in more detail?

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

black05ep
07-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Brake line is attached i saw earlier. Right now i cant make a vid because my camera on my phone jacked up.all i can saay is it def sounds like something is rubbing. Similar to how it sounds when you run your brakes to the warning marker thing or dirt in a skateboard bearing.i dont think it could be a wheel bearing. But then again i dont know what that sounds like on a car. And why it would stop when i tap my brakes

tinman5
07-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Verify the axle us fully inserted, its a stretch I know, but it wont hurt to check.
Double check the torque on the axle nut or at the very least confirm the little tab is notched on the axle nut.
I asked a couple guys I know and the one thing we all suspect is a binding caliper piston. You mention earlier in your post your fluid level was super low, was the cause discovered and repaired?

black05ep
07-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I hav e no idea what the cause was for the low fluid. I refilled it.i kno a honda mechanic that said it might have got so hot it burned or boiled out.thats all i know. Ill check teh axle nut when i get a chance when i bleed my brakes.

rd02SiR
07-08-2012, 05:25 PM
check your wheel bearing. whith the tire off the ground, grab at 12 and 6 and wiggle back and forth, do the same at 9 and 3. if there is play, your wheel bearing is going.

DA9_GSR
07-08-2012, 05:58 PM
This sounds like the backing plate is rubbing against the rotor.

black05ep
07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Will do the wheel bearing check tomorrow. What is the backing plate? You mean the brake shield? Ill check for that to. How much is a wheel bearing and how much to replace.. i just feel like my car isnt old enough for that to go out. Im not hard on my suspension

black05ep
07-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Ok so. I went to google just to see how much a bearing costs and found a couple videos and its def either a rock behind the rotor and brake shield or a b ad wheel bearing. And i also saw another post with the same problem just turning the other direction. Im def going to check these tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help. Let me know where the least expensive bearing is if anyone knows.

tinman5
07-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Rock auto maybe? Something like that I would buy locally though. As for brands in specific, I use Timken when available, Moog may offer something. I would buy locally simply for the warranty. At some point down the line I would replace the other side and simply do an exchange under warranty.
Unscrupulous I know, but hey, thats how I gets down.

black05ep
07-09-2012, 02:14 AM
My warranty wentbout a long time ago. But timkin was a brand i saw and everyone on here seems to trust moog as well. Ill double check the problem today and confirm what it is. Thanks for the help.

black05ep
07-09-2012, 06:35 AM
But though it seems lik its my bearing. Ibstill dont understand why my fluid ran out. My wheel feels like its binding a little. Unless thqts commen with a bearing. And why theres a ton of brake dust on my pass wheel.

tinman5
07-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Binding and brake dust=caliper issue.
Doesn't necessarily mean the caliper us binding, but that is what I feel the issue is.
If you dont mind getting dirty and can have the car down for a bit you can re-seal the piston and clean out the calipers housing. Or simply replace the caliper.
A seal kit will run about $5-$8. Wish I could give a more exact quote, pricing varies from one side of town to the other I cant imagine price differences from state to state.

black05ep
07-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Thank i appreciate it. I cant afford to have the car down though.by anychance would a bad bearing maybe cause the rotor to contact the pad more often causing the excessive brake dust issue?

black05ep
07-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Liek i said ill check for the rock. And bad bearing. Then ill go to bleeding the brakes,then next i would assume new rotors incase mine may be warped. I did have a huge problem with that side,and at one point the wheel got so hot it started to smoke. But after i changed the pads the issue went away untill the last few weeks.

black05ep
07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
So i checked the wheel for play. None at all. Checked the axle nut still onn and the groove is still punched in it. Looked for rocks behind the rotor between the brake shield. None. Forgot to check and see if the shiled is rubbing. It didnt look like it but i may be wrong. The only thing i noticed (and this may be normal) when i moove the wheel back first i hear a click and when i move it back forward i hear a click.that may be the transmission idk ,maybe someone can confirm this. I didnt notice anymore brakedust today.so that may be fine now.possibly mayb a rock got stuck to the pad and its still there.althought i figure that would have worn down by now. Im running out of options aside from replacing the rotors pads and brake lines( assuming thats what the noise is from) im going o gte a friend whos a mechanic on hondas look at it thurday hopefully. And maybe he can figure it out.the car shifts fine. Drives fine. Despite out of alignment and neg camber drives straight as an arrow. Its just the noise. Maybe the driver side bearing is going and it just sounds like passenger. Ill check that tomorrow as well as the shield.

black05ep
07-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Bump for more help please

black05ep
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Another update. Had a friend ride with me. It is passenger side for sure. Also found out that the noise is still there under soft braking. And stops as far i can tell under hard braking. The wheel doesnt move when i shae it.,still have brake fluid,pads are good( possibly the wrong pads but why did they work fine for a few months), ill try and getbthe wheel off today or tomorrow if the mechanic doesnt get to look at it and see if the rotor is rubbing the shield.although i touched the shield and its not hot. So i would assume it would be hott if it was rubbing. Still getting the brake dust

black05ep
07-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Ok well i found 2 of the 3 problems ive been having. The noise turned out to be my rear passenger brake. The pads were low. Didnt think to check that because it sounded like the front. I had 3 people ride and say it was the front to. And on a wim i was like lemme check the back. .the pads are wore down to the indicator. Sadly i couldnt compress the rear pistons with my brake compressor so i just broke the tabs off til monday..2nd was a smal fluid leak by the rear pass brake tighted up the screw a little. Still dont know what is binding my front wheel up a little and causing all the brake dust. Hoping if i bleed the brakes that will do the trick.

KaeDu
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Do that. I also would suggest after you should seat the brake pads.

I am not sure if this is just a rule of thumb or something that I do but I always have good results:

Drive in an empty parking lot and maybe do 25 then slam on the brakes so your abs kicks in.

Let me know how that goes.

black05ep
07-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks. Yea usualy when i change pads ill do 20 then stop 5wice 40 twice aand60 twice with hard braking. Never needed to change the rears seeing as i never had a car long enough except this one. Still unsure whats up with the front pass brake though. Ill find out monday.