PDA

View Full Version : Battery relocation help

captaingamez
06-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I just bought the odyssey pc680. I want to put it under my passenger seat, any problems with voltage drop if I use zero gauge? Where do most people run the pos. cable through and connect it? And lastly, can I use the seat mount bolt as the ground from the terminal.

si.hatch
06-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Zero gauge would be plenty enough. I personally would find somwhere on the chasis to sand down to bare metal and put a bolt through it

roomclearer
06-30-2012, 03:05 PM
question im thinking of relocating my battery. if i do will i lose tune on my kpro or if i even disconnect the battery?

lbk02si
06-30-2012, 03:18 PM
question im thinking of relocating my battery. if i do will i lose tune on my kpro or if i even disconnect the battery?

no you won't.

lbk02si
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I just bought the odyssey pc680. I want to put it under my passenger seat, any problems with voltage drop if I use zero gauge? Where do most people run the pos. cable through and connect it? And lastly, can I use the seat mount bolt as the ground from the terminal.

why would you want it under a seat??? that seems like a PITA, especially if you have to jump it. Why not just put it in the hatch?

roomclearer
06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
ok good just woundering cuz that would suck after getting it perfect.

apexracing
08-23-2012, 09:22 PM
why would you want it under a seat??? that seems like a PITA, especially if you have to jump it. Why not just put it in the hatch?

x2 thats a really dumb spot. Any where in the cabin is dumb really. And that battery is so small you can put it any where under the hood.

captaingamez
08-31-2012, 07:58 PM
I am definitely putting it under the seat, I hate batteries in trunks, I don't jump
People and if I do I can use the distribution block under the hood. So other than supposed difficulty why is it dumb to locate anywhere in the cabin????
I don't want it in the engine bay, it looks cleaner without it, my opinion, my car, I'm doin the work anyway so back go the original point.

I can make a separate ground wire area on the frame, BUT... do I need to run a ground from the battery to the engine Directly, or can I ground the engine to the frame?

Thanks

SC61Boosted
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
I believe you need to run both, a ground from the battery to the engine directly and a ground from the engine to the frame

dble0
08-31-2012, 08:43 PM
It is dumb to put it in the cabin because batteries of that size release small amounts of gas when they are in use(cranking and/charging). From my slight knowledge of 12volt systems, in theory you can ground the engine to the chassis, but you better make sure it is a damn good, clean ground. Then you would ground the battery to the chassis under the seat. Personally if I found my battery to be an issue I would get a smaller, powerful dry cell battery and the battery relocater kit from corsport.(it's actually just a new battery box to mount the smaller dry cell)

captaingamez
08-31-2012, 09:01 PM
This is an AGM odyssey battery, it does not release gas fumes.

So if I make a very good ground, I won't have yo run a separate cable all the way through the car?

dble0
08-31-2012, 09:09 PM
I missed that part. My apologies. But no you should not have to run a neg wire from the cabin to the engine. In fact it would be a terrible idea to do so. You want all grounds as short as possible. Just make very sure that the spot you ground to the chassis is completely clean of paint and debris, and is a good sturdy point that contacts well with the rest of the frame/chassis. I.e. don't use any of the rails in the top front of the engine bay.

ep3moschini
09-01-2012, 06:44 AM
I am definitely putting it under the seat, I hate batteries in trunks, I don't jump
People and if I do I can use the distribution block under the hood. So other than supposed difficulty why is it dumb to locate anywhere in the cabin????
I don't want it in the engine bay, it looks cleaner without it, my opinion, my car, I'm doin the work anyway so back go the original point.

I can make a separate ground wire area on the frame, BUT... do I need to run a ground from the battery to the engine Directly, or can I ground the engine to the frame?

Thanks

1. That is such a stupid fucking idea, It will result in a high amperage draw failure to your power distribution (i.e. shits going to melt)

2. It is illegal in all sanctioned racing to have a battery in the drivers cabin.

3. Look at the battery and I will gaurentee it has an MSDS health code on it for toxic fuems and flamibility, you will die if you park your car outside in the summer. OR if you smoke you could blow the fuck up.

4. the smaller the battery the more likely you are going to kill it running larger gauge wire than factory. You are not powering a diesel truck 0g wire is too big when factory wire is 12g

Ok now that I got that out of the way, What is your purpose for this car? all out race car where balasting the weight is needed? If not, put it in the wheel well, that would allow you to retain your factory charge harness. If this is a street car or a "hard parker" you are going to waste alot of time and money to do something stupid.

:mmad:

captaingamez
09-01-2012, 07:36 AM
1. That is such a stupid fucking idea, It will result in a high amperage draw failure to your power distribution (i.e. shits going to melt)

2. It is illegal in all sanctioned racing to have a battery in the drivers cabin.

3. Look at the battery and I will gaurentee it has an MSDS health code on it for toxic fuems and flamibility, you will die if you park your car outside in the summer. OR if you smoke you could blow the fuck up.

4. the smaller the battery the more likely you are going to kill it running larger gauge wire than factory. You are not powering a diesel truck 0g wire is too big when factory wire is 12g

Ok now that I got that out of the way, What is your purpose for this car? all out race car where balasting the weight is needed? If not, put it in the wheel well, that would allow you to retain your factory charge harness. If this is a street car or a "hard parker" you are going to waste alot of time and money to do something stupid.

:mmad:

This was already gone over, there is no MSDS on odyssey batteries, and these batteries as numerous peopel have said are fully sealed. So there's no danger.
And if that was the case it would not be safer on the wheel well.

My batterywill NEVER GO IN MY WHEEL WELL.
Already said I don't like trunk location.

I do not need my car to pass tech, It already won't cause of my mods ( ball joints)
Buy if I need a separate ground I'll run one.

It doesn't matter what my purpose is, it's my car.

If you have ACTUAL INFO about odyssey batteries being dangerous or non sealed please link me to it.

captaingamez
09-01-2012, 07:51 AM
In fact
http://www.odysseybattery.com/msds.html

ep3moschini
09-01-2012, 08:22 AM
This was already gone over, there is no MSDS on odyssey batteries, and these batteries as numerous peopel have said are fully sealed. So there's no danger.
And if that was the case it would not be safer on the wheel well.

My batterywill NEVER GO IN MY WHEEL WELL.
Already said I don't like trunk location.

I do not need my car to pass tech, It already won't cause of my mods ( ball joints)
Buy if I need a separate ground I'll run one.

It doesn't matter what my purpose is, it's my car.

If you have ACTUAL INFO about odyssey batteries being dangerous or non sealed please link me to it.

Explain to me why it would not be safet to be in the wheel well out side of the passenger cabbin?

What does the trunk have to do with the wheel well?

I understand it is your car, I was trying to be helpfull. . . But you seem to not need any help, why make a thread? Enjoy burning your car up because you don't know what your doing!

captaingamez
09-01-2012, 08:32 AM
I started this thread to ask questioned I need answered, I didn't ask about alternative locations or for an inaccurate lecture about batteries.

I don't like the wheel well, I don't want it in the wheel well!!!!! I knew that well before I started this project.
I also don't want it in the trunk.

I appreciate your help but telling me it's going to leak and expel fumes when it won't is not helpful.
I am asking these questions so things don't get melted so I obviously don't have all the answers.
So again back to the actual topics at hand, to do this correctly I need to run a ground from battery to engine correct???

ep3moschini
09-01-2012, 09:11 AM
I started this thread to ask questioned I need answered, I didn't ask about alternative locations or for an inaccurate lecture about batteries.

I don't like the wheel well, I don't want it in the wheel well!!!!! I knew that well before I started this project.
I also don't want it in the trunk.

I appreciate your help but telling me it's going to leak and expel fumes when it won't is not helpful.
I am asking these questions so things don't get melted so I obviously don't have all the answers.
So again back to the actual topics at hand, to do this correctly I need to run a ground from battery to engine correct???

NO, you do not need to run a ground to the engine. a short 6" cable to the frame is perfect, you want your ground a short as possible to the chassis. your engine is ground in multiple locations in the harness to chassis.

I was only giving information of locations due to first hand watching a car burn to the ground. all that money spent gone because a battery was located in the cabbin and a wrench slid and welded itself to the pos and neg posts catching the carpet on fire.

captaingamez
09-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Cool, I fully understand the shock danger, and I have also seen fires start this way, on multiple occasions. So for anyone else doing this I should state that I reccomended you use a PLASTIC enclosure for the battery. Not a metal one. I have this covered on mine but this can't be overlooked, even if you don't keep stuff in your cars back seat.

Heck I have one dumb buddy that had a full sized lead acid battery in his trunk with no freakin vent!!!!!!. Now granted he didn't do it, and he bought the car like that, but it was immediately corrected once I saw that shit.