PDA

View Full Version : hid's on projector headlights only??

queso
06-29-2012, 11:47 PM
so just talked to this ep3 owner
told him i wanna get depo headlights and hid's to go with them

he said to go with silverstars cuz hid's work best with projector housing
the other kind of housing wont work as good
ill blind people and just cause problems

you guys think hes right?

advice please

i really dont like the projector headlights there are for the ep3
really wanted the depo ones

ep3k20
06-30-2012, 12:50 AM
so just talked to this ep3 owner
told him i wanna get depo headlights and hid's to go with them

he said to go with silverstars cuz hid's work best with projector housing
the other kind of housing wont work as good
ill blind people and just cause problems

you guys think hes right?

advice please

i really dont like the projector headlights there are for the ep3
really wanted the depo ones

well.... DEPO's are projector headlights, and plenty of guys here run the tsx HID without problem minus the block plate makes ir=t really hard to adjust accordingly, but i run this setup without "blinding" people. The "stock" lights within the depo's are bright as is, and yes they do focus the light offset to the left, it's nothing horrible i just say run stock depo's and see how you like them

PatrickJamesYu
06-30-2012, 01:07 AM
well.... DEPO's are projector headlights, and plenty of guys here run the tsx HID without problem minus the block plate makes ir=t really hard to adjust accordingly, but i run this setup without "blinding" people. The "stock" lights within the depo's are bright as is, and yes they do focus the light offset to the left, it's nothing horrible i just say run stock depo's and see how you like them

Just to clarify.
Depo is a brand.
They make both projector, non projector, oem replacement, and angle eye headlights.
MOST of your ephatchers are referring to the projector headlights when they say DEPO.
If you're getting the projectors, I'd just go ahead and get HID's.

gamma6
06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Its true about blinding ppl using hid's with stock headlights BUT ive had hids on both my 02-03 usdm and jdm headlights... As Far as i know i never blinded anyone for yrs... No flashing of lights and when ive followed ppl and asked they said no... So id say just try them and if they dont work out just sell the hids

Draw7Seven
06-30-2012, 09:54 AM
As with all car mods, there is simply a right way to do it, and a wrong way. The right way is to adjust your lights to make sure that they project light in a horizontal plane instead of tilting up. You also want to pick a temperature of bulb that's not uselessly purple (high temp) or blinding white (low temp). If you have projector headlights, I recommend 4300K, and if you don't, go just a little higher than that to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. The people who are ruining it for everybody are the ones who buy the $40 plug-n-play HID kit and slam that bitch into the stockers and don't adjust them.

gamma6
06-30-2012, 10:24 AM
As with all car mods, there is simply a right way to do it, and a wrong way. The right way is to adjust your lights to make sure that they project light in a horizontal plane instead of tilting up. You also want to pick a temperature of bulb that's not uselessly purple (high temp) or blinding white (low temp). If you have projector headlights, I recommend 4300K, and if you don't, go just a little higher than that to prevent blinding oncoming traffic. The people who are ruining it for everybody are the ones who buy the $40 plug-n-play HID kit and slam that bitch into the stockers and don't adjust them.

Yup like me with 3yrs of no problems, i got a pure white
Didnt have the need to adjust...

lhhs0102
07-03-2012, 03:09 AM
I meet an ep owner who got a ticket for running hids on his oem headlights. I sold him my halos projectors to sign his tticket off and got myself some nice depo projectorsmy out of it. Just a thought :)

Drunken Yak inc
07-03-2012, 05:17 AM
There are Halogen projector and HID projector lenses, I'm not sure which version the Depo are. If your concern is just about blinding people, as stated previously HID will technically work in any housing. However, HID is considered illegal in any non-OEM HID specific housing if I'm not mistaken.

queso
07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
thanks for the info guys

i just found some depo projector headlights that i really liked, ill just buy this with some 4300k hids
best setup i can have!

Zatarra
07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
What's up ep3!

Only go HID with Projectors. Do not use HID bulbs in stock OEM housing OR in aftermarket halogen housings.

HID bulbs have completely different shields from Halogen headlamps. When an HID bulb is in a Halogen housing, the light is not reflected properly - You need a clear cutoff to avoid putting light into peoples eyes on the road plus the range of good useable light is probably equal if not better for Halogens in the stock housings vs. a set of HID's since the stock lamps were made specifically for Halogen.

Look at the difference between the shielding on the Halogen and HID headlights!!

Notice the HID has a shield to one side while the Halogen has a cap on the end. No stock Halogen lamp housing is setup to correctly reflect HID light. These are the headlights that blind us when we're cruising down the road. :)

Now HID's in projector headlamps? PERFECT!!

http://betterautomotivelighting.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/hid_bulb_halogen_bulb.jpg

Draw7Seven
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
There are Halogen projector and HID projector lenses, I'm not sure which version the Depo are. If your concern is just about blinding people, as stated previously HID will technically work in any housing. However, HID is considered illegal in any non-OEM HID specific housing if I'm not mistaken.

The Depos are halogen projectors, making them a step up from standard halogen housings but not quite as suitable for the high output of HID's. The projector components within the Depo lamp are plastic, whereas everything in the projector of the TSX setup is metal and glass.

queso
07-15-2012, 09:31 PM
What's up ep3!

Only go HID with Projectors. Do not use HID bulbs in stock OEM housing OR in aftermarket halogen housings.

HID bulbs have completely different shields from Halogen headlamps. When an HID bulb is in a Halogen housing, the light is not reflected properly - You need a clear cutoff to avoid putting light into peoples eyes on the road plus the range of good useable light is probably equal if not better for Halogens in the stock housings vs. a set of HID's since the stock lamps were made specifically for Halogen.

Look at the difference between the shielding on the Halogen and HID headlights!!

Notice the HID has a shield to one side while the Halogen has a cap on the end. No stock Halogen lamp housing is setup to correctly reflect HID light. These are the headlights that blind us when we're cruising down the road. :)

Now HID's in projector headlamps? PERFECT!!

http://betterautomotivelighting.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/hid_bulb_halogen_bulb.jpg

like :)
gotta save up money now!

Draw7Seven
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Meh, plenty of people on this forum have been very pleased with the result they get from PnP kits with the "x-clips" that hold them into Depo projectors, even though the projector housings in the Depo's aren't specifically designed for HID's. It's a good middle ground for budget and quality. It can be done in a perfectly functional manner. Here is my list of "acceptable" headlight solutions on EP's:

1) EDM (LHD) HID Projectors from the Civic Type-R (even better if they have the optional leveling motors, ballin)-- appx 900-1200 dollars USD
2) JDM (RHD) HID Projectors from the Civic Type-R (but you need to reverse the cutoff so you're not blinding oncoming traffic)-- appx 800-1000 dollars USD
3) Depo Retrofit with TSX/CTR HID projector components so that you have a gorgeous TSX headlamp cutoff inside of an EP3 headlamp housing-- appx 750-900 dollars USD
4) Depo projectors with X-clips and PnP HID kit, not a perfect cutoff but far better than PnP in a stock housing-- appx 250-300 dollars USD
5) Depo projectors with halogen lamps, or stock lights with halogen lamps

The only thing I consider unacceptable is PnP kits stuffed into halogen housings, especially 02-03 housings since they might as well be solar ovens as far as design. You're just going to shoot the light of the HID all over the place and blind people, and not even get a good view of the road since the light is unfocused.