PDA

View Full Version : Air intakes and gas mileage...

Popeye
06-30-2012, 09:58 AM
What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting with their intakes? Is everyone seeing a very noticeable increase in gas mileage?

doubledouble
06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I get no more then 280 miles a tank. Not sure what my mpg without the intake would be. Never had the stock piece on.

Popeye
06-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Word. I was just wondering. I was gonna ask how to get better gas mileage, but I read through some of the same kinds of threads, and some people get upset if you ask it. lol Someone earlier today told me that someone significantly improved their gas mileage after installing a V2 intake. Was just wondering if anyone saw any kind of a decent gain is gas mileage with theirs.
All people seem to mainly talk about is power gains. In todays economy, I'm surprised there arent more conversations about fuel economy with older cars.

ep3k20
06-30-2012, 03:37 PM
When my ep still had the a3 and I put a Cai on it I went from about 340miles a tank to damn near 370+

Blah1219
06-30-2012, 05:34 PM
If you're worrying about mpg and gas prices in a Honda. Simply don't mod the car -_-

Edit: when I get 20+ mpg, gas prices are no problem especially when everyone I know drive v8s. Once my supercharged killer vtec build is done, Ill still get better gas milage. Just get a better job!

I may be the odd one out here, but I never saw a significant change in gas mileage between intakes.

I've had a V2, Injen CAI, SRI, and now a Comptech with 3 different drop-in filters (Comptech, K&N, OEM).

I can usually go about 260-280 miles on a tank and get between 24-26 mpg around town.
On long highway trips I can get about 28-29 mpg.

Any significant change I saw was due to driving style and outside conditions.

Popeye
06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
If you're worrying about mpg and gas prices in a Honda. Simply don't mod the car -_-

Then why do I keep reading that intake and exhaust lets a car's engine run more efficiently? If a motor runs more efficiently, wouldnt it HELP gas mileage, even if just a little?

Blah1219
06-30-2012, 06:11 PM
It's not that big of a gain in mpg. 300 for a v2 and 700 for a decent exhaust. How long will it take for you to make that up? Go buy a prius..

Popeye
06-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Or the K&N drop in that I already have with an airbox mod and $100 for an Ebay exhaust. You show me where I can buy a Prius for $1,000 and I'll drive it wearing a pink and purple tutu...

Blah1219
06-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Or the K&N drop in that I already have with an airbox mod and $100 for an Ebay exhaust. You show me where I can buy a Prius for $1,000 and I'll drive it wearing a pink and purple tutu...

I see that you dont care how the car sounds with the horrible welds on a eBay exhaust. So I see that you bought your civic, k&n filter, and egay exhaust for a grand. Nice find! Don't mod if you can't do it right. Silly people trix are for kids!

Popeye
06-30-2012, 08:02 PM
So I see that you bought your civic, k&n filter, and egay exhaust for a grand. Nice find! Don't mod if you can't do it right.

Huh? I didnt say I already had the exhaust. Learn how to read home skillet.
I know I'm not an ASE certified master mechanic like you, but I thought that even a $100 Ebay exhaust would let the exhaust gases out just like a $700 exhaust. I guess I'm not a part of the "cool" crowd with an expensive exhaust.
Way to hyjack the thread and show your ass...

Blah1219
06-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Just saying treat your car better than that. Down the road you're going to have an exhaust that's going to rot and have a massive exhaust leak. You also must have never heard an egay exhaust. Sounds ugly. I'm using a Megan midpipe right now till I can afford a custom 2.5" mandrel bend pipe to mate to my spoon muffler. I'm in the middle of an engine rebuild. If youre going to build a car, do it right. If you're going to cry about the mpg/ gas prices in a Honda, find yourself a Prius anal tampon.

sleepy ep3
06-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Once I installed a bigger motor, turbo, and injectors, my gas mileage went down. Hope this helps.

lemonhead228
06-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I think it all depends on how you drive. I drive like a granny. Shift at 2.5k every gear unless i have to catch up with traffic like interstate or hyw ect. and cruise control everywhere I get a chance. I get 300 on a full tank with a v2 intake and rh.

And if I drive shifting at 3k+ every gear I notice my gas meter goes down a lot faster.

ep3k20
06-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Once I installed a bigger motor, turbo, and injectors, my gas mileage went down. Hope this helps.

lmfao

Popeye
07-01-2012, 06:36 AM
We actually have ONE gas station that has gas with no ethanol. Well, 89 and 91 dont have it. What sucks is that the regular is $3.18, and mid-grade is damn $3.58! What happened to the days where they were all 10 cents apart? I might start paying the extra $4 or so a tank to see how much that helps my mileage. I have been shifting around 4k most of the time, so I'll try sooner. I appreciate the advice ya'll, even you, Blah. lol
When I bought my car I was looking for a Civic. The truck that I had, which my dad left me when he died, had caught on fire when I was at a restaurant. Being in a small town, and on a 2-lane road right in the middle of town, let's just say people noticed. lol It was a pretty nice truck, and for a 1980 truck, I still got $9100 from the insurance. So, I looked at Civics, and this was the nicest one I could find. I didnt use all of the $9100 because I needed a new laptop for school, blah blah blah. So, THAT is why I have a Civic, and why I have THIS Civic. It was the best available at the time.
I would say that a majority of people on here really enjoy their car, and knew about the gas mileage when they got their cars. Sure, 28 or so mpg's aint bad. I dont feel that there is anything wrong with wanting BETTER gas mileage. Dont get me wrong, I would LOVE to modify my car a bunch. Being in school, and having to pay my bills, I dont have the luxury of extra money to do so. But, being full time in school, having to drive 30 minutes over a "mountain" to get to school, and will have to start driving who knows how far for clinicals as well, gas mileage is a VERY large concern for me. And trust me, if I could sell my car and buy a Prius, I would do it. That's why I'm in school, so I can afford shit like more expensive cars. That and how else am I going to afford that pink and purple tutu?

tinman5
07-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I never really paid attention to the fuel mileage when stock. Of course it wasn't very long at all before the Type S swap went in.
With the A2 and a recently modifyed V2 intake I average about 295-305 miles before the fuel light comes on. About 90 percent of those miles are highway running from 70-80ish with random bursts higher than that. Keep in mind I am also running the wrong O2 sensor. So I guess I am doing alright, 93 octane is about $3.45 a gallon and I will fill up once a week in the neighborhood of $40.

Popeye
07-01-2012, 11:08 AM
That's pretty decent! I wish I had the money for any kind of swap. I have been thinking of trading this car for a regular EX or something. I just havent been able to pull the trigger because I would love to have this car for when I get done with school. THEN I could modify it as I please. Until then, saving money is more important to me than making power.

jdmjay27
07-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Back to the question..
I normally had 28 MPG's with my stock intake driving regularly with hw and city driving. I don't accelerate that quick or drive all that fast either. I dropped in a short ram intake a few months ago and I get around 26-28 now. It's probably because I like to speed up a lot more to hear the sound of my intake once in a while. Haha. The difference of MPG didn't seem too noticeable though as I mentioned, so don't expect mind blowing results with a new intake.

tinman5
07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
That's pretty decent! I wish I had the money for any kind of swap. I have been thinking of trading this car for a regular EX or something. I just havent been able to pull the trigger because I would love to have this car for when I get done with school. THEN I could modify it as I please. Until then, saving money is more important to me than making power.

Thats good on you though, keep your eye on the REAL prize. If nothing else you will learn patience from this time in your life. Use it to learn what you really need, temper your wants. If the EP is paid for, stick with it.

sleepy ep3
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Maybe I'm just really irresponsible with money, lmao. I modded my civic while I was in school, and even more after I got out. This is while going to school, taking care our newborn (at the time, she's 2 now) and paying mad bills. I remember eating ramen for like 3 months so I could buy my turbo lol ($1399.00) and so I could afford everything my daughter needed. It's possible to mod your ride and still take care of business, just depends how important it is to you. Now I have the clunker for the mileage, and the Ep for the thrills. (although....there is a beautiful pearl red 07 Si around the corner for sale that has caught my eye in a major way.... )

Popeye
07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
What sucks is even when babying my car, I still get crappy gas mileage because I live in the mountains. EVERYTHING is uphill or downhill, which impairs gas mileage.
Nah, I cant eat ramen to boost my car. If I did, I wouldnt be married any more. haha

Blah1219
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe I'm just really irresponsible with money, lmao. I modded my civic while I was in school, and even more after I got out. This is while going to school, taking care our newborn (at the time, she's 2 now) and paying mad bills. I remember eating ramen for like 3 months so I could buy my turbo lol ($1399.00) and so I could afford everything my daughter needed. It's possible to mod your ride and still take care of business, just depends how important it is to you. Now I have the clunker for the mileage, and the Ep for the thrills. (although....there is a beautiful pearl red 07 Si around the corner for sale that has caught my eye in a major way.... )

Hmmm quit drinking, quit buying random accesories, and eat straight ramen while risking my heart from exploding from all the sodium for acouple months to pay for a spoon header... Sounds painful but at the same time very profitable. My liver would thank me also.

doubledouble
07-01-2012, 06:34 PM
When my ep still had the a3 and I put a Cai on it I went from about 340miles a tank to damn near 370+

dafuq?

must be at sea level crusining hwy.

Silvercard
07-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Hmm I got close to 328 miles when the fuel indicator kicked in. From San Diego to Phoenix. Started with a topped off full tank. Then again the indicator is off because of the 144k+ mileage. I only put in 3 gallons and it rose close to half full lol after I got the warning light. In the city I try to granny shift when I can.

Popeye
07-02-2012, 05:38 PM
I can't find the link, and yes, I have looked through the DIY section forwards and backwards, and have looked through the How-To section. If there honestly isn't a DIY or anything, I would be more than willing to do one. I just need to know HOW to do it, first!

sleepy ep3
07-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Hmmm quit drinking, quit buying random accesories, and eat straight ramen while risking my heart from exploding from all the sodium for acouple months to pay for a spoon header... Sounds painful but at the same time very profitable. My liver would thank me also.

Problem was, I like the good Belgium beer, and that costs more. Build might have been done sooner. But there is more to come, just catching up on bills now. BTW I didn't mean JUST ramen lmao

ep3k20
07-03-2012, 05:11 AM
dafuq?

must be at sea level crusining hwy.
Nope not at all. Just took a fairly long road trip (170+ miles one way) and went there and back on one tank and by the time I did get to the gas station in Denver my light was not even on and it took 10.8 gallons to fill. granted this is irrelevant now cause i don't have the a3 anymore ...and am boosted so lol not sure on that one. I didn't get on it the entire trip so possible that had something to do with it.

StimulisRK
07-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm pretty sure you get worse MPG with higher octane fuels because the compression ratios of the A3 aren't set for it - that's what I was told, I could be wrong though!

I avg 31 with my Si, and around 35 when I had my EX. Last week I somehow managed 36.5.

I've noticed little things help too; fresh oil, correct tire pressure, non-summer tires, excess weight in the car, etc. it all adds up!

Popeye
07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Im gonna do the air box mod later today and see how that helps. I probably wont find out until next month anyways because I need new motor mounts. Mine are "popping," and I dont want to drive it too much with the car like that. I wont be able to afford new ones until the end of next month.

lucky7
07-23-2012, 04:20 AM
I somehow managed this the other day.
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/547969_10150930137072414_270609601_n.jpg

I put 11.8xx gallons in it when I filled it back up. Calculated to roughly 41.3xxmpg. I put 89 octane in my car for the first time on that tank because I've been driving 100 miles / day for work, and I've been trying to figure out how to squeeze more miles out of a tank. I also make sure my tire pressure is around 40-42psi. I really hate paying for gas, so I figured I'd try anything. Windows up whenever possible, drive behind trucks and keep the speed to a minimum, etc. My previous best calculated mileage was about 34.6. I can't explain it, however, I'm not complaining. Perhaps this was a fluke, but I was extremely happy with it.

Oh, and it's just a stock A3 with a short ram and 153k on the clock.

EUB44
07-23-2012, 06:09 AM
^^^ 34.6 is pretty good, but it is not a good idea to drive behind trucks. :crazy: I`d pay more for gas and dont get any rock chips on my bumper and hood.

lemonhead228
07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
^^^ 34.6 is pretty good, but it is not a good idea to drive behind trucks. :crazy: I`d pay more for gas and dont get any rock chips on my bumper and hood.

Agreed^

Popeye
07-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I guess if I'm getting 28mpg's in the mountains, I shouldnt complain. lol

lucky7
07-23-2012, 05:15 PM
I don't follow trucks too frequently, however, I'm really not too concerned with rock chips. It's one of the few cars i've owned that is just a car to me. I'm not attached in the least bit, and I plan on driving it until it doesn't work anymore. :rofl: it's a "step" that separates my old E30, and my future M3. I got a pretty good deal on it, and I needed a car. Always liked 'em, but it's not as good as my old EK was. More functional and comfortable, but not as raw/fun. I like it, I just don't love it. Anyhow, 41.3mpg is my new record. This current tank is WAY behind the last. It's been a lil' more fun though. :)

ZeoMaX
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure you get worse MPG with higher octane fuels because the compression ratios of the A3 aren't set for it - that's what I was told, I could be wrong though!

I avg 31 with my Si, and around 35 when I had my EX. Last week I somehow managed 36.5.

I've noticed little things help too; fresh oil, correct tire pressure, non-summer tires, excess weight in the car, etc. it all adds up!

i've been doing most of that myself, still at 28mpg, guess more weight is gonna have to come off, bye bye back seats

ep32424
09-30-2012, 10:29 PM
dame 34 is pretty good.

ep32424
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
i don't see the different in my car i have injen cai.

el_puncho
10-09-2012, 08:13 PM
I have an AEM CAI and it improved over the SRI. Ive never had the stock box but between the SRI and the CAI, the CAI gave me better milage. now im up to 28mpg. Both city and hwy.

tlikethedrink
11-30-2012, 10:05 AM
ive noticed (maybe its my driving habits) but with the stock exhaust and intake ive had my best MPGs per tank, my avg was about 30mpg mixed. 32 hwy keeping it on cruise at speed limits (75).

kpro i/h/tp/e + kpro im seeing around 26 mixed- havent taken a hwy trip on kpro...

ebay exhaust sounds pretty ok with the stock cat and header btw lol.

klik
11-30-2012, 12:30 PM
I work 10 miles from my house, i never really fill up the ep so i wonder how good the mpg is. I drive a scooter to work lol.

02ep3413
12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
I felt like i had better gas mileage with my comptech parts in. I ran about an average of 27 mpg, with the icebox and exhaust it went up to about 29-30. mot a huge difference but never had to worry about pricing out my gas tank,