PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Help

White EP3
07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
I drive an 04 Ep3, and I need some opinions on what brand of coilover sleeves I should buy that rides the best and lasts the longest for the money under a $500 budget. And most importantly what the best brand of struts for an Ep3 is as well for a $200 budget. Im looking to spend $700 in total and not much more. Thanks!

Her-Name's-Ally
07-01-2012, 10:40 PM
Easy..$700 gets you a-spec and tie rods

White EP3
07-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Which year model Acura should I look for for the A-spec coilovers? And could you send me a link of the items, I cant seem to find it.

mitchlikesbikes
07-01-2012, 11:08 PM
you could get a good used set of coils on that budget. i got my next to new BC racing coils for 750 shipped.

White EP3
07-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah but thats the problem, I can never find used coilovers for my Ep or I would go that route :(

mitchlikesbikes
07-01-2012, 11:14 PM
you just have to be patient man.

White EP3
07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I looked at getting Ground control coilovers and just run stock struts, how would that play out? and if I did get ground control coilovers what struts would you recommend?

hyu
07-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Just save the extra 100-200 for new coilovers... Buying used coilovers are hit/miss. Pay the difference for piece of mind and warranty

makavelibranded
07-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Just save the extra 100-200 for new coilovers... Buying used coilovers are hit/miss. Pay the difference for piece of mind and warranty

x2 pick up some megans for a little more and have a far better setup then sleeves/shocks setup.

tinman5
07-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Ground control and some Koni adjustables. May go just over your budget, but thus is an impressive combo on several makes and models.

I prefer coilovers myself, being a Tein man, so there are very few cup kits that catch my eye.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Which year model Acura should I look for for the A-spec coilovers? And could you send me a link of the items, I cant seem to find it.

They are not adjustable and only drop an inch but ive never ever heard anyone complain about the ride.

http://www.curryacuraparts.com/pro.html

only thing is you have to shave the rear bushings 3 inches in the back. 1.5 in on each side or have them pressed.

1st
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Plan B!! Just get H&r springs 2 inch drop for 160$ (brand new) and Ingalls camber kits for the front and rear for about 180 (brand new) and still have money left over. Have it installed on factory oem shocks you will be good.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 09:37 AM
Plan B!! Just get H&r springs 2 inch drop for 160$ (brand new) and Ingalls camber kits for the front and rear for about 180 (brand new) and still have money left over. Have it installed on factory oem shocks you will be good.

If you get springs I strongly recommend putting them on koni yellows

White EP3
07-02-2012, 09:57 AM
That sounds like a great way to go but what if i need to go lower or higher? That's a big reason why i need coilovers =/ I think im going to get Ground Control coilovers for $370 and get ingalls camber kit and call it a day. Thanks everybody! every response was much appreciated to help me research and look around! :)

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 09:59 AM
good luck :thumbu: hope you enjoy the ride

HFPcivicSI
07-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Are you seriously going to be raising your car and lowering your car all the time? I see a lot of people buying coils, and they NEVER touch them after they get the ride height.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 12:21 PM
Are you seriously going to be raising your car and lowering your car all the time? I see a lot of people buying coils, and they NEVER touch them after they get the ride height.

Agree thats why i am going A-spec

HFPcivicSI
07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Agree thats why i am going A-spec

Yeah I went with full HFP (brand new). Installing them tomorrow in this hot as ballz 100 degree weather tomorrow if everything goes ok. I think me and my friend both suffered from heatstroke Friday taking off my BBK, shocks/struts, gutting my full custom stereo, and replacing off a crap load of custom parts on my scion tC. (which is getting turned BACK in to toyota because I sued them and WON.. Finally a lawyer worked in my favor *with the lemon law*).

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2012, 12:36 PM
adjustable height isn't the only reason to buy coils, but it is nice to have. are your a-specs or hfps as light as coils or have adjustable dampening? didn't think so.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 12:40 PM
adjustable height isn't the only reason to buy coils, but it is nice to have. are your a-specs or hfps as light as coils or have adjustable dampening? didn't think so.

cant say they are but dont have them yet. I may change my mind idk I was just agreeing with the fact that I would most likely not be adjusting them frequently

tinman5
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I mess with my ride height every 2 months thats usually when I swap out wheels.

HFPcivicSI
07-02-2012, 04:31 PM

Awesome man you just saved 15lbs!! If I take a shit in the morning I save that much... And do I constantly adjust my suspenion? No.. so what was my benefits again? I didnt get that... Do I care about dialing it down a half inch? No... And maybe, just maybe if you didnt have to have the awesome SUB setup with 2 twelves or whatever that weighs in at 100lbs, that 15lbs wouldnt mean dick to you.

Ive been there, and got the tshirt.. you know how many times I adjusted my boosted scion setup after I got it dialed in and corner weighted at a shop?? NONE.

tinman5
07-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Its so much easier to properly corner weight a car with coilovers.
Its also easier to dial in a car with coilovers. The ability to fine tune height to the millimeter, abundance of spring sizes and rates, from progressive to 1:1.
Of course, once you feel you have your suspension properly set, there is obviously no reason to mess with it. But there is no question that a proper coilover setup is superior to a compareable cup kit.

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2012, 06:51 PM
nobody gives a fuck about your scion. all i'm saying is for the same price you could have coils with MORE capabilities, lighter weight, and most likely better performance.

and i don't have two twelves in the back of my car, so good job on making a shitty generalization in that regard as well.

HFPcivicSI
07-02-2012, 07:43 PM
nobody gives a fuck about your scion. all i'm saying is for the same price you could have coils with MORE capabilities, lighter weight, and most likely better performance.

and i don't have two twelves in the back of my car, so good job on making a shitty generalization in that regard as well.

Are you tracking your car? If so, where, and what is your awesome setup? What class are you running there in Utah? Your talking about high performance? What do you have in your ride that warrants that statement?

Pretty simple here - if the guy is daily driving his car, doesnt want to adjust anything once set up properly, doesnt care about the hellaflush homo scene, and isnt a fat fuck - then your "supreme" weight savings argument is moot. If your the guy counting every ounce, then you pathetic. And guess what? Your suspension is ONLY as good as the person that set it up. You can have the best homomitchelllikescock setup, and if it aint setup right, it aint worth the dick in your moms ass, generally speaking that is.

So you can help this guy make an educated decision on the ultimate coil setup - Please reply back with

a) your awesome setup
b) tracks that you run at, class, and your times
c) how much your car weighs in at, and all weight reduction you have done to save pounds since your keeping track
d) your moms phone number, I lost it.

Thanks Michelle. I'll be over later so we can talk about your real problems.

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2012, 10:08 PM
preferring coils to equally priced struts and springs doesn't make me a track master, and i don't claim to be such.

and i'm not claiming to have the ultimate setup or the "highest performance", so stop putting words in my mouth. all i'm saying is for the same price you could do much better than a spring and strut combo.

and what if coils are what are needed to "set it up properly". there are no height adjustments on springs and struts. so what is there to even "set up"? you just bolt them on and align the car. lots to set up there eh?

way to be creative with the mitchlikescock and your mom jokes by the way, i feel like i've never heard those before.:frusty:

Her-Name's-Ally
07-02-2012, 11:02 PM
OP what are your personal goals?

HFPcivicSI
07-03-2012, 06:16 AM
preferring coils to equally priced struts and springs doesn't make me a track master, and i don't claim to be such.

and i'm not claiming to have the ultimate setup or the "highest performance", so stop putting words in my mouth. all i'm saying is for the same price you could do much better than a spring and strut combo.

and what if coils are what are needed to "set it up properly". there are no height adjustments on springs and struts. so what is there to even "set up"? you just bolt them on and align the car. lots to set up there eh?

way to be creative with the mitchlikescock and your mom jokes by the way, i feel like i've never heard those before.:frusty:

Relax man.. I am only tweaking your nips. I dont really have a problem with you. I DO hope you have a good 4th of July man.

HFPcivicSI
07-03-2012, 06:46 AM

FYI the equipment IS the adjustments. Obtaining spring rates to match your needs, putting miles on them to see if they are what you NEEDED, if not, obtaining different springs with the proper spring rate ect. Your acting like its bolt and go, which it IS, just like anything else - if you dont do anything about it. Some people use different springs in a front back combo, and not everything is "off the shelf" like your picturing in your head. And just so you understand this - just because it says coils on the box - does NOT make it better. I feel sorry for the guys running racelands and other china junk. And for the OP - I would NEVER recommend buying a used suspension. A lot of times, your buying someone else's problems. In the few cases your getting a legit setup, it only takes needing to buy 1 or 2 replacement parts to be OVER the cost of buying the brand new suspension. For the extra $200 - isnt a warranty and piece of mind a lot better than hoping everything comes from a used car (which could of/could not of) been in a prior accident, driven on extremely hard roads, OR raced on? Could you get a faulty brand new coil or shock? Yes.. Most likely the vendor always steps up to the plate to fix this when you buy new, when you buy used - its all on you.

Just like her-name-is-ally said - what are your personal goals OP? Are you going to be hard parking or racing the car every weekend, or adjusting the setup? If so, coils are the answer. If your looking for most bang for the buck, dont care about adjustments, and want something that will improve your cars handling from stock, and dont care if they weigh 3.5lbs more on each side (lol) then get shocks/springs.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
agreed thats why I am most likely going aspec because I have heard that its best for dd but its still pretty good on the track. I dont care that its only 1 inch drop because I care more about comfort. I only plan to track a few times a year to be honest until I get to put more into her. This should be enough for me