PDA

View Full Version : Hit 1000 miles, my review

rgGolf4
01-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else had their rear defroster not work. Although it is under warranty, I was wondering if this was a common thing, or just isolated. Are the rear defrosters on Honda's good...or are they weak. I was in a couple of snowstorms this year and drove for roughly 45 min each time with the defroster on the whole time and nothing. The only way to get the window to clear up is to crank up the heater and aim it to the back.

My only other gripe is the fuel guage. My gas light came on and I filled up. I only put about 8.5 gallons in! I thought these things hold like 13 gallons...that means my "reserve" is 5 gallons...WTF?

Other than that my car is fine. I just need to find a dash kit for my headunit. I bought the 2001 - up Civic one, but it doesn't come close to fitting, unless I hack my OEM dash (which i will not do)

Just wondering...I still love my new EP!

jaydub
01-08-2003, 02:04 PM
You're absolutely right about the fuel gauge, very very inaccurate.

sonic imperial
01-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Same problem with the fule gauge here. I usually fill up when it says I've got a quarter tank left and normally I can only fit 7 gallons which leaves 6 in the tank. That means I could probably drive alot further but it makes me a little nervous for some reason so I just fill up anyway.

civicSIracer
01-08-2003, 03:49 PM
OMG that drives me insane!!! i hate that fuel gauge light! when i first got my car, when the light came on i thought. oh no.. brand new car is going to run out of gas on the freeway.. i make it to a gas station and i only put in 8 gallons.. i was like what??? only 8.. i look in the manual and has a 13.something gallon tank.. what the hell is wrong with it.. stupid idiot lights!!!!

DownTheHatch
01-08-2003, 03:55 PM
Yea my gauge has been spastic too, but this tank seems to be right on the mark, I think the gauge works better in cold weather. I got 200miles out of my tank when it hit half full, the warning light came on at 280 and I'm at 300 now, should fill up next time I go out and I'll see how much was left in the tank.

Actually I just checked it and it's still above E, so I could get about 20 more miles out of it.

civic hatch boi
01-08-2003, 04:33 PM
my light used to come on at about 9.5gal used.. but now my light comes on later. like at 10.5 :)

K20A3
01-08-2003, 04:44 PM
There are kits for the stereo that are painted silver for sale on ebay.

IceD out N CALI
01-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
my light used to come on at about 9.5gal used.. but now my light comes on later. like at 10.5 :)

same here it has gotten better with time, which is good:)

TomR123
01-08-2003, 05:07 PM
I find things like parking the car on an incline, sharp turns and hard stops all affect the gas gauge. Im not sure but i think this is a honda thing because my moms grand prix and my dads lexus dont do this. Ive also seen the gas light come on and when I fill it up it only take about 7 gallons and I top it off like a moron thinking it can hold 5 more

cbecker333
01-08-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rgGolf4

My only other gripe is the fuel guage. My gas light came on and I filled up. I only put about 8.5 gallons in! I thought these things hold like 13 gallons...that means my "reserve" is 5 gallons...WTF?

I actually like the guage - I have a habit of driving until the needle is beyond the bottom of the E. Its not any less accurate, I don't think, its just calibrated different than what you are used to. I do think its silly that the light comes on when I still have 4 gallons left...makes it pretty pointless because now I just ignore the damn thing.

rgGolf4
01-08-2003, 06:15 PM
So, what would be a better thing to go by? The idiot light, or the actual guage? After posting this I noticed that the guage is about 1/4 full, but the light is still on. I'm guessing a better estimate would be the guage. Is this something the dealer can fix?

IceD out N CALI
01-08-2003, 06:43 PM
I'd say use the gauge as an estimate. When the idiot light comes on then jus remember to get to a gas station next time u get a chance, but its not like an emergency situation:)

EP33
01-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Ditto. The fuel gauge is controlled by the ECU. It is an estimated reading. If your light comes on, start shifting at like 2200RPM it will go off (ECU thinks it will go further on the same amount of go go juice)after about 10 miles and come on again later. I've had my car down to like .8 gallons left (about 305 miles). My girls 2002 LX does the sheeat.

I have about 11400 miles on my Si.