PDA

View Full Version : Balance

JohnR
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM
I haven't posted for awhile but have started to autox my ep3 again. Current setup incluse rsx-s trans with oem helical lsd, k20a3, aem ems series 2, crower cams, k&n sri, ctr rear sway bar, tein flex coilovers, 215/40-17's on enkei nto3+m. Currently the car has a tendency to oversteer in higher speed corners. This is much better than stock however I would like the car a little more balanced for street driving. Will upgrading to the 06 rsx-s 26.4mm front sway bar make much of a difference or is it not worth the effort. If this bar isn't worth it what is the best solution to get close to neutral handling, meaning all four wheels brake traction at the same time?

Popeye
07-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Dont know a whole lot about your coilovers, but can the dampening be adjusted in them? If so, maybe it could be as simple as changing your settings. Im sure you could get the desired effect out of changing your front sway. But, I would try other things before spending money that dfoesnt need to be spent. What about tire pressure? Maybe increasing the front and decreasing the rear? Which side breaks first? Maybe it's a weight issue that can be solved by maving some weight around.

gtolio
07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Dont know a whole lot about your coilovers, but can the dampening be adjusted in them? If so, maybe it could be as simple as changing your settings. Im sure you could get the desired effect out of changing your front sway. But, I would try other things before spending money that dfoesnt need to be spent. What about tire pressure? Maybe increasing the front and decreasing the rear? Which side breaks first? Maybe it's a weight issue that can be solved by maving some weight around.

This. Stiffen up those front dampers. What settings are you on right now?

Zzyzx
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Couple of things to help you have a dual use car.

#1 Neutral handling is a myth. It is up to you the driver to control the cars handling balance through steering, brake & throttle inputs.
The reason neutral handling being a myth is because a cars handling balance is dynamic, it changes as speeds change. Ultimately you are the part that makes the car handle neutrally. So if you are running in to handling issues on the street, then its telling you that you are driving too fast and too hard for the conditions as the only time you'll find a car to handle neutrally is when you are not driving it any where near its limits.

#2. Couple of things you can do to make the car a bit more manageable on the street with out harming your handling on track that are easy to do. #1, soften the rear dampers and stiffen the front dampers. #2, find a welder and tack on some extensions to your rear anti-roll bar to allow you to make the rear bar softer. I would do as much as possible to NOT install a stiffer front anti-roll bar. and #3, Drive slower on the street.

makavelibranded
07-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Couple of things to help you have a dual use car.

#1 Neutral handling is a myth. It is up to you the driver to control the cars handling balance through steering, brake & throttle inputs.
The reason neutral handling being a myth is because a cars handling balance is dynamic, it changes as speeds change. Ultimately you are the part that makes the car handle neutrally. So if you are running in to handling issues on the street, then its telling you that you are driving too fast and too hard for the conditions as the only time you'll find a car to handle neutrally is when you are not driving it any where near its limits.

#2. Couple of things you can do to make the car a bit more manageable on the street with out harming your handling on track that are easy to do. #1, soften the rear dampers and stiffen the front dampers. #2, find a welder and tack on some extensions to your rear anti-roll bar to allow you to make the rear bar softer. I would do as much as possible to NOT install a stiffer front anti-roll bar. and #3, Drive slower on the street.

:yeahthat: oversteer is great for a FWD just need to learn how to handle it better, perfereably not on the street but I understand. Everytime I do something new I test it (not often), but as safe as possible, no traffic late somewhere it does not matter if I screw up. I really have mine setup to oversteer, but am doing minor downforce mods for the high speed turning that I will see hopefully see at PIR next year.

JohnR
07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
I appreciate balance is driver controlled however when I autox the car has a slight tendency to oversteer which is great fun. Although when the wife has it on the street I would like a slightly less overteer tendency. Currently I have the coilovers two clicks softer than middle so I believe setting 6 in the front 8 in the rear. I generally never push the car hard enough on the street to make this happen although sometimes in the rain it can suprise you. Tire pressures are 36 front 33 rear. I will try playing with the settings on the dampers and tire pressures to see if this will change things, I thought that the bar is only 100 dollars and easy to install it might be worth trying. Neutral handling is not a myth acura managed it with the NSX, and yes I know I will never spend the R&D they did.

Zzyzx
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
I would say modifying your rear anti-roll bar would be your best bet as stiffening up the front bar will also be reducing the maximum amount of grip that end can make... And really, for a car that's being used for competition there is zero reason not to have an adjustable rear anti-roll bar.

Note: The NSX understeers at its limits, as designed by Honda.