PDA

View Full Version : Am I Rubbing? What's This Noise??

StimulisRK
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Just put on the HFP Fit wheels, 16x6.5. Drove it home and there's a wierd noise whenever I turn left. The rear is loaded with my old wheels and tires in the back.

VIDEO >
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65549405@N06/7515671522/ < VIDEO

It's only when I turn left, and it sounds like it's the back right wheel well. 16x16.5 with 205/50/16, I don't think I should be rubbing... I'm gonna go take it out now with the old wheels out of the back.

mitchlikesbikes
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
sounds like you're rubbing somewhere. did you do ANYTHING aside from just bolting the wheels on- playing with the spashguards, etc?

and what's the offset of those wheels? even with that tire size if the offset is high you could be rubbing somewhere

HFPcivicSI
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
What suspension you on? Reason I ask - you and I bought the HFPs at the same time (remember?).

I have not put mine on yet.. waiting for a huge install day (or 2 days) of a shitload of parts. Ill be running the HFP suspension, which should actually raise my car back up a 1/2 inch from the ricer suspension on there now from the previous owner.

You got any side shots that show off the rims? Also what tires did you get? I got the falken ziex 912's from Discount Tire - they were $299 SHIPPED for 4 tires, then I got $100 in a rebate visa card. I wanted to stay away from stupid low-pro tires, because I would like a comfy ride, and lo-pro's are more prone to destroy the rim from potholes too.

StimulisRK
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
sounds like you're rubbing somewhere. did you do ANYTHING aside from just bolting the wheels on- playing with the spashguards, etc?

and what's the offset of those wheels? even with that tire size if the offset is high you could be rubbing somewhere

Just bolted the wheels on, nothing else. Offset is +55

What suspension you on? Reason I ask - you and I bought the HFPs at the same time (remember?).

I have not put mine on yet.. waiting for a huge install day (or 2 days) of a shitload of parts. Ill be running the HFP suspension, which should actually raise my car back up a 1/2 inch from the ricer suspension on there now from the previous owner.

You got any side shots that show off the rims? Also what tires did you get? I got the falken ziex 912's from Discount Tire - they were $299 SHIPPED for 4 tires, then I got $100 in a rebate visa card. I wanted to stay away from stupid low-pro tires, because I would like a comfy ride, and lo-pro's are more prone to destroy the rim from potholes too.

I'm on H&R springs, which are supposedely a 2" drop. I got Sumitomo HTR Z II's, they're a straight summer tire. I didn't take any pics yet, everythings pretty dirty haha.

I just took the car out with everything out of the back, but i'm still getting the same noise. It's definitely coming from the rear right side, and only when I turn left. No noise at all from the rear left when I turn right. This kinda makes me think it's my exhaust hitting my tire? Ik my exhaust is kinda jiggly and moves around alot

epcivicboy08
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Dude, now you got me worried about a rubbing issue since I'm gonna be putting on the same wheels with same tire specs tomorrow :mfrown:

mitchlikesbikes
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
it must be your exhaust if it's only on the one side. if someone can run 245/40s without rubbing i think you'll all be just fine on 205/50s haha

StimulisRK
07-06-2012, 01:25 PM
it must be your exhaust if it's only on the one side. if someone can run 245/40s without rubbing i think you'll all be just fine on 205/50s haha

That's what I'm thinking too, I don't see how i'd be rubbing with 205/50

Dude, now you got me worried about a rubbing issue since I'm gonna be putting on the same wheels with same tire specs tomorrow :mfrown:

Lemme know how it goes tommorow. I honestly think you'll be fine! I'm pretty sure it's just my exhaust, it's not fully in place right so it moves around alot

EUB44
07-07-2012, 02:47 AM
You shouldnt be rubbing with those wheel specs. But it sounds like rubbing

whatsvtec
07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
You could be rubbing. +55 is a very "sunk" offset.

Is the sound in the front or rear John?

tinman5
07-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Damn, thats a crazy high offset. I would check the clearance with the rear section of the control arm.

EUB44
07-07-2012, 02:48 PM
If you have +55 offset . That is the problem. Like he said ^^^^^^^^^. Its probably rubbing

StimulisRK
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
You could be rubbing. +55 is a very "sunk" offset.

Is the sound in the front or rear John?

It's definitely only from the rear, and only when I turn left.

Damn, thats a crazy high offset. I would check the clearance with the rear section of the control arm.

I'll go take a look at that

epcivicboy08
07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
It's definitely only from the rear, and only when I turn left.

Got these on today. No running here. Only confirms it must be your exhaust or some other part.

StimulisRK
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Found it. You can see where the wheel is getting scraped here

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8006/7523871476_860f15c671_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8292/7523873236_acfac5db6c_z.jpg

And it looks like it's from this bar the the shock mounts to (what exactly is it?) There's barely any clearance between it and the rim of the wheel.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7523875012_6b8af4c051_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8004/7523869766_ff33996124_z.jpg

That's all on the rear passenger side - there's no scraping on the rear driver side, yet everything is just as tight.

I'm guessing I need spacers then? Or running more camber would bring the bottom the wheel out too I guess.

tinman5
07-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Unless you have not had the car properly aligned, it may be your toe is out of whack. But some longer wheel studs and like three inches worth of spacers would help. +55 offset? Good Lord man. I apologize, but I just can't see the appeal of these wheels.

I am glad however that you found the problem.

StimulisRK
07-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Unless it was rubbing before I think he would have noticed. Usually the exhaust hangers go through a long wearing proccess before breaking down, so if this is the issue buy new hangers and put a worm style hose clamp around the hanger for support. Hell, you can install the worm clamps now. Just out of curiosity, you mentioned your exhaust was moving around some, care to elaborate? Obviously if the wheel is not rubbing your exhaust will be the culprit barring some magical bearing failure.

One of my hangers was broken, but I just checked and there's a new one in there so I'm guessing my uncle fixed it last time I had it at the shop. I just posted some pics above, I found scraping.

tinman5
07-07-2012, 06:08 PM
Yup, you posted the pictures just as I submitted my reply.
Dont mind the comments about the wheel choice, different strokes for different folks and all that. But I would at the very least eyeball the alignment. I have found the majority of alignment houses in town will not touch a lowered Honda. Its not that big a deal as I do my own alignments, but I like to have the data printout from a Hunter as a base point.

StimulisRK
07-07-2012, 06:49 PM
No worries dude! They're not too bad for being +55.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8168/7519114694_53bf8776f8.jpg

I'll see if I can play around with the alignment tommorow. I guess bad alignment would explain why I'm having trouble on only one side and why other people aren't having any trouble at all with the same wheels.

Do you know what the offset is for the stock 15"s?

whatsvtec
07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Unless you have not had the car properly aligned, it may be your toe is out of whack. But some longer wheel studs and like three inches worth of spacers would help. +55 offset? Good Lord man. I apologize, but I just can't see the appeal of these wheels.

I am glad however that you found the problem.

3" worth of spacers?!?!?

Try 10mm :mrolleyes: LMK if you want to meet up tomorrow John. There's a car show early in the morning, Webster, if you want to come. Afterwards, we can try some 5mm spacers in the rear to see if that will give you the clearance you need.

The OEM offset on the 15x6 wheel is +45.

tinman5
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Dont go too crazy with spacers on the factory studs, you need at least the width of the stud worth of thread engagement. Which for the Honda would be about 12mm divided by....somewhere around eight complete turns.

I tried the ARP studs, but at 3 inches that was just to much. I ordered up some Ichiba studs in a 45mm length just waiting to install them. As for the alignment, your tire wear should be very telling. If the toe is out of spec like I think it is, your tires should have feathering on the shoulder blocks as well as the tell tale signs of camber wear, but the feathering will be more pronounced.

j.lai
07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I have 17x7+52 and am running 20mm spacers with no issues. You should be fine with 10mm spacers tho.

EricP3
07-29-2012, 01:02 PM
I am having this exact same issue with h&r springs and OEM wheels. I just looked at everything and I don't see any signs of scraping on the wheel or anywhere else. Could this be a wheel bearing? Let me know if you guys have any ideas.

StimulisRK
07-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I had to put a spacer on the back right wheel, because the inside rim of the wheel was scraping on my subframe, and you could visually see it. Before, I was on H&R with OEM wheels and had no problems at all, so you might have a bearing issue like you said...

EricP3
07-29-2012, 05:02 PM
I went back and looked at it with the wheels on the ground. There is hardly any clearance between the wheel and the arm. I think my camber/toe could be the problem. I may get an alignment and see if that fixes it. Has anyone else had this issue with OEM wheels?

poeticfinesse21
07-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I went back and looked at it with the wheels on the ground. There is hardly any clearance between the wheel and the arm. I think my camber/toe could be the problem. I may get an alignment and see if that fixes it. Has anyone else had this issue with OEM wheels?

You probably need an alignment.....how low are you dropped and what size tires are you running? And what year EP?

jared07
07-29-2012, 10:40 PM
rubbin is racin...

EricP3
07-30-2012, 07:29 AM
2002, dropped about 2" on H&R springs. running factory spec tires i believe which are 195/60/15?

I'm going in for an alignment today, hopefully that fixes the problem.

jared07
07-30-2012, 07:31 AM
if not a small spacer will be fine...5mm

iamBT
09-01-2012, 01:23 AM
im getting the same problem i think, only when i turn left it makes a sound. i JUST got it back from the shop today too.
im a '02 SIR, dropped about 2" i think, on 16x7 +38 wheels with 205/45/16 dunlop z1-ss's. the rear passenger side is a lil bit lower than rear drivers side it looks like. trying to decide whether to roll rear fenders, take it back to the shop, or raise it up a tiny bit (worried about alignment that was just done tho)

dirtyMETHOD
09-01-2012, 06:40 AM
I ran the UA5 wheels on mine for a little while ( '03 TL type S) which is a 17x7 +55 offset and I would clunk the trailing arm on hard turns.

A 10mm spacer is ideal for both looks and function IMHO for those wheels since EP3 HFP wheels are 17x7 +45