PDA

View Full Version : anyone have problems with short shifter?

sincityep3
07-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Hey.. New member here, was looking into buying a short shifter and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with them? Grinding, popping out of gear? Just was wondering if it was worth it, I'm already buying hybrid racing's shifter cable bushing's.. Is a short shifter worth it? thanks.:msmile:

tinman5
07-08-2012, 07:00 AM
I am running the Buddy Club SS, no complaints, no negative results from having it installed. It is kind of a pain to actually install the damn thing, but I was able to knock it out in about an hour or so.

Now is it worth it? I could not answer that for you. Its a subjective question. I have this huge soda mug I picked up from a truck stop years ago that I keep loose change, petty cash, bonuses and whatever cash I make working weekends. Thats where all my car things get bought from. If theres cash in the mug, its worth it. As long as I dont have to draw from my salary to buy something I'm alright with the purchase.

Draw7Seven
07-08-2012, 07:19 AM
The BCSS is widely considered to be one of the best mods you can put on our cars. I never had any problems out of mine in the 4 years I had it.

sincityep3
07-09-2012, 07:26 PM
thanks for the feedback guys, i doubt i will be picking up one doesnt seem to do much for me atleast. just picked up hotchiks 27mm sway bar though.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I have a BCSS also and i love it, takes some getting used to, but once u do its mint.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
I have the neuspeed. I payed 50 but brand new its only 80. Honestly it feels way better then what i was expecting. Took like 25 min. to install. worth every penny IMHO. cuts throw up and down by "30%" feels like 50% installing MTEC spring as soon as my new CAI comes in

differentK
07-10-2012, 06:31 AM
ive had both the neuspeed short shift adapter and now the BCSS- ive been happy with both... both are worth the money and do what they are supposed to

ohdamngetit
07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Call me ridiculous but I did both... together hahaha

Super short shifting and had no problems at all.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Call me ridiculous but I did both... together hahaha
Super short shifting and had no problems at all.

wow really? a lot of people were asking about that..awesome

1st
07-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I heard that the BCSS is discontinued is this true?

Draw7Seven
07-10-2012, 05:00 PM
I heard that the BCSS is discontinued is this true?

hyfr

whatsvtec
07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
wow really? a lot of people were asking about that..awesome

Forkin' yessss! Finally a confirmation on compatibility..... *logs on to ebay*

sistealth02
07-10-2012, 08:22 PM
thanks for the feedback guys, i doubt i will be picking up one doesnt seem to do much for me atleast. just picked up hotchiks 27mm sway bar though.

Matt....I love you. No homo.

Who did you order it thru, and how much?

Also, when you start tracking your car you should think about getting a BCSS....but until then, just hang with the regular shifter.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Forkin' yessss! Finally a confirmation on compatibility..... *logs on to ebay*

Wasnt it you asking on CEP3?? thats who I was thinking of, almost posted the thread on there haha

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 07:33 AM
I have also hear that the BCSS is a piece of crap....any body also hear this?

Draw7Seven
07-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Lol I've never heard anybody say that. I've heard it was a bitch to install but other than maybe HID projectors it seems to be one of those "I'M SO GLAD I DID THIS" mods.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-16-2012, 08:45 AM

hahah agree with below never heard of anyone disliking it.

tinman5
07-16-2012, 04:18 PM

I also have never heard such a thing. I would not go as far as other users and say its the best upgrade I've done, but I certainly do not regret the cost nor the install.

That is my opinion and somewhere someone probably disagrees with either it or my wording of my own sentiment so my opinion may in fact be erroneous. Take said commentary with a grain of salt.

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm not trying to dog on Buddyclub....I have many of their upgrades installed on my car. SO I love my Buddyclub, however I was just stating from some other threads that I have read that others complained that the BCSS broke a lot because it has a lot of small plastic pieces, and that it sucked, etc.

I was just merely trying to see what the general concensus was and what other's experiences were with the BCSS. Main reason being, is because I was trying to do some research cuz I was thinking about getting a BCSS and swapping out my Neuspeed SS for it.

I do have a question though, anybody have the metal shifter cable and shifter base bushings (either from Hybrid Racing or Corsport)??? If so, how do you like them? Any problems noticed?

whatsvtec
07-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I have Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings, and corsport shifter base bushings paired with my BCSS. I LOVE how it feels. Very little play in the system compared to the OEM bushings and shifter assy.

It's like going from driving a Chevy Tracker to driving an Integra. The difference in throw and feel is amazing. Short up/down and left/right. Solid feeling going into and leaving every gear. In between gears at first it didn't want to center(between 3rd and 4th), but after a few months the springs are worn in and everything feels as good or better than the day I installed the BCSS.

So far, to be honest it's the best $$$ I've spent on my car.

tinman5
07-16-2012, 06:11 PM
It's like going from driving a Chevy Tracker to driving an Integra. The difference in throw and feel is amazing. Short up/down and left/right. Solid feeling going into and leaving every gear. In between gears at first it didn't want to center(between 3rd and 4th), but after a few months the springs are worn in and everything feels as good or better than the day I installed the BCSS.

I had the same issue after first installing, but also with use, the shifter has worn in very nicely. I have noticed the benefit of the SS more so in those random occasions I go to the hill country with lots of shifting. I cant express myself any better than saying it simply feels "right".

While this is how I feel about this particular product, it is highly suggested you take said commentary with a grain of salt.

sincityep3
07-16-2012, 06:27 PM
things went the other way man ending getting kmods complete kpro k24a1 head a2 cams (looking for internals) and most likely will be going with whiteline's rear sway. lol love ya too brah haha
Matt....I love you. No homo.

Who did you order it thru, and how much?

Also, when you start tracking your car you should think about getting a BCSS....but until then, just hang with the regular shifter.

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys, anybody previously had the Neuspeed SS and went to the BCSS and notice any differences there?

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM
things went the other way man ending getting kmods complete kpro k24a1 head a2 cams (looking for internals) and most likely will be going with whiteline's rear sway. lol love ya too brah haha

I went to Whiteline's website, and it looks like the one they have is a 24mm bar??? It's fine bro, just keep in mind, if you are not able to get your suspension dialed in right with that bar combo'd with your coilovers to get enough oversteer, you may have to look at getting a bigger bar. Just food for thought. But hey, that bar might be perfect with the way that you will drive, or how your setup currently is. :) hope you will be happy with the stuff you got. :)

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I have the neuspeed. I payed 50 but brand new its only 80. Honestly it feels way better then what i was expecting. Took like 25 min. to install. worth every penny IMHO. cuts throw up and down by "30%" feels like 50% installing MTEC spring as soon as my new CAI comes in

That MTEC spring that you speak of....is that a spring that gets replaced on the shifter box itself, or what???

sistealth02
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
I have Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings, and corsport shifter base bushings paired with my BCSS. I LOVE how it feels. Very little play in the system compared to the OEM bushings and shifter assy.

So far, to be honest it's the best $$$ I've spent on my car.

I want to know more about these metal bushings, cuz a few of my friends said that they had broken shifter cables before cuz they previously had metal bushings installed (not the HR spherical ones)....anybody got any info on that??? Again, I am just trying to do research.

differentK
07-16-2012, 07:39 PM
i just went from the neuspeed adapter kit to the BCSS- it feels alot better. both up and down and side to side play has tightened up a bit. i am also using corsport cable bushings/ base bushings/ and mtec race springs- along with the BCSS it shifts perfectly.

the things you have heard about the BCSS may not of been against the EP shifter- i have heard that the DC5 shifter box is crap.

Her-Name's-Ally
07-16-2012, 07:51 PM
That MTEC spring that you speak of....is that a spring that gets replaced on the shifter box itself, or what???

goes on the shifter mechanism, waiting for my CAI to come in before I install but Ive heard a lot of good things. Site also has a DIY
http://www.mtecind.com/diy/shift-spring-install/
$40 shipped

ctxmaginsk
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Dont SS increase the probability of destroying synchros?

sistealth02
07-17-2012, 11:11 AM
i just went from the neuspeed adapter kit to the BCSS- it feels alot better. both up and down and side to side play has tightened up a bit. i am also using corsport cable bushings/ base bushings/ and mtec race springs- along with the BCSS it shifts perfectly.

the things you have heard about the BCSS may not of been against the EP shifter- i have heard that the DC5 shifter box is crap.

Have you noticed less "2nd gear grind" with those bushings and race springs?

sistealth02
07-18-2012, 11:11 AM
I just ordered a BCSS, Hybrid Racing Shifter cable bushings, and Hybrid Racing shifter base bushings. Still want to see if anybody has any more info on these MTEC springs. $40 bucks ain't bad at all though...

Euroyellowep3
08-26-2012, 05:25 PM
My EP has the BCSS, and I am trying to sort out the slop in the shifter. I have considered the corsport shifter bushings, but then I saw they sell new complete hybrid shift cables. Has anyone purchased these new shifter cables?

sincityep3
08-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Hybrid racing. Stealth si did a write up on his set up. Considering this lance
My EP has the BCSS, and I am trying to sort out the slop in the shifter. I have considered the corsport shifter bushings, but then I saw they sell new complete hybrid shift cables. Has anyone purchased these new shifter cables?

ep11
08-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Hey.. New member here, was looking into buying a short shifter and I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with them? Grinding, popping out of gear? Just was wondering if it was worth it, I'm already buying hybrid racing's shifter cable bushing's.. Is a short shifter worth it? thanks.:msmile:

I was told by the shop that did my swap
That short shifters would damage the gears...

I mention if the the hybrid Link cables , The transmision selector lever spring , the billit shifter washers
Would help get rid the 4th gear grind
He told me they where all crap ...

lbk02si
08-30-2012, 09:56 AM
nope, nobody has ever had any problems. its just you...

sincityep3
08-30-2012, 02:10 PM
I dont have one. just the oem. started this thread to get some information back when i didnt know too much about them
nope, nobody has ever had any problems. its just you...

sincityep3
08-30-2012, 02:11 PM
my buddy lance has no problems just buttery shifting.
I was told by the shop that did my swap
That short shifters would damage the gears...

I mention if the the hybrid Link cables , The transmision selector lever spring , the billit shifter washers
Would help get rid the 4th gear grind
He told me they where all crap ...

poeticfinesse21
08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
My EP came with a neuspeed shifter already installed so I have no idea what the stock shifter feels like. I thought the EP came with short throws from the factory until I took the shifter console off to install my stereo and saw the neuspeed lol

lbk02si
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I dont have one. just the oem. started this thread to get some information back when i didnt know too much about them

i was just joking around when i replied :)

sincityep3
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Haha i know buddy! just clarifying.
i was just joking around when i replied :)

sincityep3
08-30-2012, 02:35 PM
i cant take jokesssss. my butt gets too hurt.... lol

whatsvtec
08-30-2012, 02:52 PM

Don't you dare say "it doesn't do much"

If you tried one out, you would love it :msmile: Get it, you won't regret it. I enjoyed the results more than kpro, we'll just put it that way.

sincityep3
08-30-2012, 02:55 PM
thats an old comment i feel different about that now. id love one. and your right.I haven't tried one yet but when I do I know i'll love it. Haha I love my kpro dude I can comprehend what you mean by trying out the short shifter.
Don't you dare say "it doesn't do much"

If you tried one out, you would love it :msmile: Get it, you won't regret it. I enjoyed the results more than kpro, we'll just put it that way.

sistealth02
08-30-2012, 07:43 PM
My EP came with a neuspeed shifter already installed so I have no idea what the stock shifter feels like. I thought the EP came with short throws from the factory until I took the shifter console off to install my stereo and saw the neuspeed lol

Alright guys, here I go spreading love and knowledge over the next couple posts. The Neuspeed shifter is just as sloppy as the OEM shifter. The Neuspeed is an adapter that just bolts to the stock shifter. The only thing it does is change the lever angle, but ALL the slop still remains. The BCSS shifter will eliminate most of this slop. So, Poetic, get the BCSS, you will get an Insta-Boner when you swap it. The shifting will be WAYYY more precise, and direct.

poeticfinesse21
08-30-2012, 10:09 PM
BCSS is definitely of my list of things to buy but I wanna get the hybrid racing shifter and cable bushings at the same time. I like to do it big, not a little at a time :mbiggrin:

rd02SiR
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I've had the bcss for about 4 years now, bought it used from a local guy. It made a huge improvement, but feels "normal" to me since i've had it so long.

I hvae the corsport aluminum shifter base bushings, and i'll prob stop there. I have heard from several local techs, who said that the stiffer bushings will actually make it worse for the tranny than the oem rubber ones. Something about the shifter linkages need a bit of play or shit will start binding, something along those lines.

sistealth02
08-31-2012, 10:06 AM
BCSS is definitely of my list of things to buy but I wanna get the hybrid racing shifter and cable bushings at the same time. I like to do it big, not a little at a time :mbiggrin:

If you have the cash, you would be able to get the HR shifter CABLES...this would be a better upgrade than the cable bushings.

sistealth02
08-31-2012, 10:13 AM
I've had the bcss for about 4 years now, bought it used from a local guy. It made a huge improvement, but feels "normal" to me since i've had it so long.

I hvae the corsport aluminum shifter base bushings, and i'll prob stop there. I have heard from several local techs, who said that the stiffer bushings will actually make it worse for the tranny than the oem rubber ones. Something about the shifter linkages need a bit of play or shit will start binding, something along those lines.

They need 2 degrees of play to be exact. When HR was developing their shifter cable bushings, they noticed that SOLID aluminum cable bushings (from other companies) were causing cables to snap, etc because at most the solid bushings would only allow a maximum of 1 degree of play. So, when they developed their Spherical shifter cable bushings, they incorporated that the bushing had to have the required 2 degrees of movement, but they didn't want them to be flimsy or give TOO much play like the rubber shifter cable bushings. This is why they developed their shifter cable bushings to be SPHERICAL, meaning that the bushing is all metal, but the spherical bushing inside the bushing would allow the 2 degrees of required play.

sistealth02
08-31-2012, 10:16 AM
Matt...I didn't know that HR made shifter cables for the EP3, otherwise I would've gotten those. -___-

Here's the fun info i've been waiting to share all day. Euro, get the HR shifter base bushings. They will eliminate the play and slop that is produced from the rubber shifter base bushings. I have the BCSS, Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings, HR shifter base bushings, and MTEC Race shifter mechanism springs. I also did a tranny fluid change (which you need to do when you do this set up) when I did these upgrades, and I have to say....WOWZERS. The feel is very direct, and precise. I have noticed minimized notorious "2nd gear grind" and no more missed shifts. It's just a very direct, in control, feel with your car. This set up is a real He-Man set up. This set up is Chuck Norris approved, in fact, it's the set up he runs in his EP3.

As far as the HR shifter cables, this would be an even better upgrade than just the shifter cable bushings. The HR shifter cables are thicker (won't snap under high stress shifting such as seen in racing), they have aluminum twist lock bushings (the part of the cable that attaches to the shifter) instead of the OEM plastic bushings. There are also other parts of the HR cable that are made of steel or aluminum rather than rubber or plastic on the OEM cables. This means that you won't have to worry about your shifter cables snapping at any given point on the cable due to weak materials....just shift away.

sistealth02
08-31-2012, 10:24 AM

As far as the MTEC Race shifter mech springs, the springs make your shifter stay in the centered-Neutral position a lot better than the OEM springs. This means that since the stronger springs are pushing harder against the shifter lever (the rod that drops down into the transmission) then it means that it will be easier to shift to some gears than others. For example, when upshifting AWAY from Neutral, say, from 4th to 5th (or from 3rd to 2nd), then you will feel the strong resistance from the shifter springs. However, if you downshift TOWARDS Neutral, from 5th to 4th (or from 2nd to 3rd), the shifter resistance will be non-existent. All you would have to do is flip the shift knob down, and the springs would do the rest...snapping the shifter back to neutral like a rubber band. BOING. If you would like to read more info on the MTEC shifter springs, you can check out my good friend Alex's review of the MTEC springs over at CRSX... for some reason, I have tried copying the link, but EPHATCH server won't work. So, just go to CRSX and search "chota endorsed" and it should be the first thread that pops up.

sistealth02
08-31-2012, 10:37 AM

I will say this, the HR shifter cable kit comes with new shifter mechanism springs. If you can close the HR shifter mech springs all the way by hand (like I was able to in this video... in the video below), then I would go with the MTEC Race springs instead.

By going with these upgrades, you will feel in more control of your car. The shifting will feel very buttery as Matt (sincity) stated. If you don't already have a big forearm from beating off a lot, you will definitely get some strength with this shifter set up. You can call all your friends girly men (with Arnold accent) when you show them your new shifter set up, and they can't move the shifter cuz its so F*ing stiff.

http://youtu.be/yMoYGCDHQ98?hd=1

Eddie Murphy
05-22-2013, 04:41 PM
sistealth02 (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/member.php?15010-sistealth02) I have the BCSS, aluminum base bushings and aluminum cable bushings. I am having the common problem of not getting CENTERED back to N. Will theses MTEC Race springs fix? I've heard that the white caps from the BCSS need to be switched back to the ones from the stock shifter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ep3 fam...

OZZYG_EP3
03-27-2014, 07:00 AM
i just installed my bcss yesterday and i love the way it feels. unfortunately my buddy who was helping me with the install dropped the oem white caps down into the black abyss under the shifter somewhere so i have to stick with the ones from buddy club. I tried to spray it down with some silicone spray and work it in but it still doesnt center when it is in neutral. the shifts feel great but its just weird having it so tight and not centered when its in neutral. will this break in eventually? or do i need to take out my whole center console to get underneath to find the oem caps. and is anyone sure if the oem caps will fit with the new version of the bcss? i was trying to get one of them on and it would not budge. any advice would be helpful

mattst3r
06-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Matt...I didn't know that HR made shifter cables for the EP3, otherwise I would've gotten those. -___-

Here's the fun info i've been waiting to share all day. Euro, get the HR shifter base bushings. They will eliminate the play and slop that is produced from the rubber shifter base bushings. I have the BCSS, Hybrid Racing shifter cable bushings, HR shifter base bushings, and MTEC Race shifter mechanism springs. I also did a tranny fluid change (which you need to do when you do this set up) when I did these upgrades, and I have to say....WOWZERS. The feel is very direct, and precise. I have noticed minimized notorious "2nd gear grind" and no more missed shifts. It's just a very direct, in control, feel with your car. This set up is a real He-Man set up. This set up is Chuck Norris approved, in fact, it's the set up he runs in his EP3.

As far as the HR shifter cables, this would be an even better upgrade than just the shifter cable bushings. The HR shifter cables are thicker (won't snap under high stress shifting such as seen in racing), they have aluminum twist lock bushings (the part of the cable that attaches to the shifter) instead of the OEM plastic bushings. There are also other parts of the HR cable that are made of steel or aluminum rather than rubber or plastic on the OEM cables. This means that you won't have to worry about your shifter cables snapping at any given point on the cable due to weak materials....just shift away.

I noticed on HR's website that they have HR shifter base bushings, but it states on the bottom that it is only for RSX Type S and 01-05 civic NOT CIVIC SI. Are these compatible with our EP3?

http://www.hybrid-racing.com/store/hybrid-racing-k-series-shifter-base-bushings.html

I'm planning to do the same setup as you, but just want to double check that these shifter base bushings are the right ones?