PDA

View Full Version : Weird idle - P0505 & P1457

larryo108
07-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a 2003 Honda Civic Si with almost 170,000 miles. I need some help from the gurus. My car has been idling weird. Surging up to 2k RPM at times. Most of the time it bounces between 1.5k and the stock 850 RPM. I was first getting the P0505 code and I have been battling it for a couple of months. First I tried to clean the IACV and it helped a little, but after a day or so, the idle problems started again.

Last weekend I repalced the damn IACV. In addition to the IACV, I replaced the PCV elbow and the rubber vac lines to the EVAP canister from the throttle body and the motor. I also replaced the coolant lines to the throttle body because the previous owner had bypassed it. I am trying to keep the motor stock because this is my DD.

The same thing happened. It worked for a day or so, but now I am throwing the P0505 code AND the P1457 code. I have continued to try to research what more I need to do. I am going to double-check all of my connections and make sure the throttle cables do not need to be adjusted. Both things I have read. I also read about the P1457 and read that it is usually because of the gas cap. However, that would be a hell of a coincidence given that I just messed around with the connections on the EVAP canister. So I am going to start by checking those connections.

At the same time, my AC has started blowing hot air at times. It will start cold then eventually start blowing hot air. I can turn off the AC for a couple of minutes and then get cold air for a little longer. I do not know if this is connected, but I figured I would throw it in. I am going to be recharging the system today as well.

Could a bad throttle position sensor be causing the problems? Also, is there a vacuum diagram somewhere for a 2003 Si. I would love to replace all of the vac lines, since the car has almost 170,000 miles. I would appreciate any help that the gurus on here could provide though. Thanks in advance.

larryo108
07-08-2012, 01:50 PM
OK. I am starting to think that MAYBE this DOES have something to do with the AC. I took two videos and posted to youtube.

I first started the car and turned on the AC full max. I adjusted the gauge to the ambient temperature (90+ degrees here, so I put it to the 85-110 degree setting). When I first connected the refrigerant bottle, it was registering about 250-psi. Well below the acceptable range. I charged the system following the instructions for maybe two minutes while preiodically checking the pressure. Then the compressor kicked and the pressure gauge jumped into the red. Now the pressure will continue to build until the compressor kicks, then the engines stalls, the pressure drops just into the green and the whole process starts over.

I have uploaded two videos to youtube. The first one is with the AC completely off and the idle holds steady at about 850 RPM. The second video is with the AC on and you can see the pressure spikes and hear the erratic idle. Any help greatly appreciated.

AC OFF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDXU_B7UwSo&feature=plcp

AC ON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq5NNfukCpU&feature=plcp

Finally, I did run an AC Diagnostic this morning and got no blinking recirc lights, so if there is a DTC, it is not registering. Thanks in advance again for any help. It would be greatly appreciated.

larryo108
07-11-2012, 12:25 PM
So can noone help me with this? I am fairly certain the idle surges have nothing to do with the IACV, and are because of the AC and the pressure releases. Are there any AC isues than be causing my codes?

larryo108
07-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I hate replying to my own thread and bumping it up, but I really do not want to start a new thread. I also hate being whiny, but I am hoping someone can help me with this before I break down and just a let a shop fix the issue. Can a bad TPS be causing this? I will also let you know that when I cleaned everything/reaplced the IACV, I put some dielectric grease on all of the electrical connections before reconnecting everything. Could this be causing my issue? I don't think so, but I thought I would ask.

I have been trying to figure out if it is truly the AC or something else. With the AC on, I get the idle surges when coasting in neutral or at a complete stop and they are the same exact thing as shown in the second video. With the AC off, I do not get the jumpy RPM, but as I come to a stop, the RPM will be up around 1500 and when I stop completely, they will drop to the normal 850 and stay there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What else should I be looking for/at. Thanks in advance.

MyRevival
05-12-2015, 09:01 PM
Resurrecting, sorry.

I have the exact same issues. 03, 174000 miles, P1457 and P0505 that come on at the same time. I'm pretty sure my A/C is unplugged because I was screwing around the other day at the front bumper opposite the battery and had a one pin connector come apart in my hand.

I was up there near the overflow bottle because I had my cooling system boil over on me the other day, likely unrelated. I was going to make sure my A/C compressor got plugged back in this weekend, and try cleaning the IACV. Previous owner installed a AEM cold air tube (down into the front bumper), and got into a front end wreck that sheared off the top of the radiator.

So I'll be trying to diagnose my issues over the next couple days, but would love some direction. I also have the Shop Manual that I'll be referring to but haven't looked in yet.