PDA

View Full Version : My '03 Si has 104K miles on her...what should I start worrying about?

03-Honda-Si
07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Howdy Honda experts. My 2003 Si has a little over 100K miles on it and I'm not sure what preventative maintenance I should be doing at this point. Apparently this model has a timing chain instead of a belt, so I assume I can let that go indefinitely? Or at least until 200k or so before worrying about it? It says in my manual that spark plugs are replaced at 110K. Never had one of these fancy cars that only needs a tune up every 100K miles, so a little confused on what I should be looking out for other than normal consumables like oil changes, filters, serpentine belts, O2 sensors etc. Anything to keep an eye on like fuel pump etc that can let you down on the road after 100K?

Thanks for any advice in this area, I hate break downs and unreliable service. Want to do my part to avoid problems on the road.

PS>> I replaced my transmission oil with Redline MTL back at 60K miles, so I should be good to go there.

mitchlikesbikes
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
i would consider doing trans fluid again soon.

spark plugs

possibly a valve adjustment

do some injector/fuel system cleaner through a tank just to be safe

and make sure whatever air filter you have is cleaned or replaced

oh and new cabin filters never hurt anyone either

sleepy ep3
07-09-2012, 10:46 AM
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke"

tinman5
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
"Don't fix it if it ain't broke"

That.
I would however be more detail oriented about maintenance though. By that I mean check for potential leaking gaskets, remove the wheels and clean off suspension pieces, check bushings and axle boots that sort of thing. Be prepared for the random accessory to give out. The alternator should be fine for a couple more years, but then you have just entered the window for some of these items to start showing their age. You may have a window regulator or door lock actuator give out at some point.
Other than that, if it aint broke...

03-Honda-Si
07-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like I don't have lot to worry about. I'll probably swap out my trans oil again soon and maybe also replace my serpentine belt. All my filters and oil is good. How about flushing brake fluid? Manual says do it every 3 years. I've only done it once since owing my car so far (once in 9 years). Do I have to use Honda fluid? I used synthetic valvoline fluid last time. Thanks again...

MIGEEZY
07-11-2012, 05:27 PM
You don't have to use everything that honda makes for our cars, lots of other brands are actually better than honda products IMO.

Silvercard
07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
You don't have to use everything that honda makes for our cars, lots of other brands are actually better than honda products IMO.

I agree!

tinman5
07-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Castrol LM-GTA...I'm sure theres more letters, but yeah, the Castrol synthetic brake fluid.

I, personally, replace the oddball fluids every two years. Tranny, brake, clutch m/c, coolant and replace the hoses serpentines, NGK's and light bulbs as well. It annoys me to see new or late model cars driving around with a light out. My sleds are oldies but I take some pride in making sure I dont get rear ended for a tail light being out.

No bad things to say about the Valvoline synthetic, used it for a bit. Only switched to the Castrol because O'reillies stopped carrying the Valvoline.

03-Honda-Si
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree about not having to use Honda fluids (or any other car manufacturer's stuff), but the brake fluid seemed to be particularly pointed out in my manual. It warned (from memory) specifically not to use any other fluid other than Honda fluid. It was specially formulated specifically for the Honda braking system, otherwise the sensitive components in the ABS system could be damaged etc. Normally I scoff at BS like that, but I didn't want to risk defying the Honda gods and fark up my system. But I came on here a few years back and asked around. Seemed like it was worth risking using the Valvoline synthetic (a particular type I don't remember what it was). Anyway, I flushed and replaced with the Valvoline fluid and I haven't had any trouble with my brakes in the 4-5 years since I replaced it. Just wanted to double check here and see if anything more was known about it.

epheist04
07-12-2012, 11:11 AM
my door lock actuator gave out a few weeks ago lol how much do those cost?

hyu
07-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Door actuators are about 60.xx. If I wasn't so lazy I'd pull the part number lol

Draw7Seven
07-12-2012, 11:25 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2003+civic+si+door+lock+actuator

Draw7Seven
07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
OP, I second that a valve adjustment is good preventative maintenance at your mileage. Other than that as long as your plugs, fluids, etc are all within range then you're doing fine. An A3 with a good owner can push 300k miles easily.

3dkahuna
07-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Instructions to replace the actuator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heRnJWXixdk

epheist04
07-13-2012, 10:40 AM
thanks

Grookes
09-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Worry about the Oil Sending Unit. My '02 has $110k on her, oil sending unit failed, drained my oil all over the street, freeway, parking lot, underside of my car. CEL came on only after I came to a stop after driving on the freeway 20 miles. Fix was only $200, compared to...well, how much is an engine replacement? I was lucky.

Her-Name's-Ally
09-29-2012, 07:25 PM
i feel like my struts and springs are getting pretty warn but im at 130k