PDA

View Full Version : clutch/brake fluid change too fast?

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-11-2012, 03:40 PM
I went to a shop for a clutch and brake fluid change.

He did it in like...less than 10 minutes

As I was coming out to look he was finishing up.
The clutch feels much better and so does the brakes....or maybe it's just in my head and he really didn't do anything?

Only charged me $20 bucks o.O

AttarixEp
07-11-2012, 03:55 PM
If they use a vacuum bleeder, it takes me maybe 5 min for the rears per side, another 5 for the fronts per side, filling in between. Maybe a few more for the slave cylinder. Pump up the pedals. Bleed if necessary. Seems pretty quick, maybe he just sucked fluid from the reservoir and refilled it.

MIGEEZY
07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Getting rid of air bubbles in your lines would make a big improvement in performance, could of been that. And maybe your fluids were bad already. Either way thumbs up for your EP!

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-11-2012, 04:03 PM
i figured he did it using some kind of quickbleeder cause i saw a big machine thingy on wheels that he was dragging away as I was coming over.

just making sure lol.

it'd be retarded to have someone not change out my fluids and me somehow thinking my clutch and brake feel better

AttarixEp
07-11-2012, 04:09 PM
It's possible to be done fast, I wouldn't have thought that fast, but I guess it depends on the machine. My shop just has a little air powered bleeder.

I've always wanted to test that with a customer, bring in the car, say we fixed it, give it back with nothing done and see if they think its better. lol (I would never actually do that though, I'd be a HUGE dick)

I'd say your're safe though.

tinman5
07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Vacuum bleeding is the shizz.

I say that hesitantly because I am old fashioned. Theres a guy at a smaller independent shop that will knock out all three of my cars for $60 clutch and brake master cylinders. Between him and an assistant they knock out each car in about 15 minutes working deliberately and always conscious of the paint. I respect that they respect my cars. They treat my girls well, they get my business.

rd02SiR
07-11-2012, 09:53 PM
Vacuum bleeding is the shizz.

I say that hesitantly because I am old fashioned. Theres a guy at a smaller independent shop that will knock out all three of my cars for $60 clutch and brake master cylinders. Between him and an assistant they knock out each car in about 15 minutes working deliberately and always conscious of the paint. I respect that they respect my cars. They treat my girls well, they get my business.

its good that you have somewhere that will take car of your car. most places i've been to don't give a rats ass about anything.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-12-2012, 09:12 AM
yeah I usually take my car to my dad's friends shop

but this time...he didn't want to change my fluid....he kept insisting that I buy a whole new clutch and do the fluid and clutch at once...

so I called my friend and asked where he takes his car and went there instead

They do tuner cars mostly there was a dumpt s2000 and a couple fg si's being worked on where I went.

It was just strange for me that the fluid change went by so fast, and it was my first time there so I didn't know if I got ripped or not...and not to mention it was only $20 o.O for both brake and clutch fluid (yes I know they're both brake fluid)

Her-Name's-Ally
07-12-2012, 09:27 AM
its good that you have somewhere that will take car of your car. most places i've been to don't give a rats ass about anything.

agreed, shi sucks, buuut butt butt I dont think its that unusal IMHO, are you exagerating a little on the time or was it 20 min exactly cause as dumb as it sounds there is a difference in 20 min and 27 min or in inverse 20 min and 15 min.

btw did you give them the fluid or did they use their own? a big bottle is like 7 or $8 hmm a $12 change thats pretty good.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
i'd say it took a little over 10 minutes

like maybe 12-13mins tops

but it was fast...

I gave him my keys I sat in the lobby and read an article on my phone...went outside stood around for a minute or two then walked to the back to see what they were doing and he was finishing up at that point

they used their own fluids

the clutch for sure feels better I know it's not in my head anymore.

tinman5
07-12-2012, 04:20 PM
There are some places (cough NTB cough) that charge as much as $70 just for the brakes and damn near $40 for the clutch.

Finding a good shop is hard, and its not often I outsource work, but flushing the brakes can get messy. Between the three cars though, the dub sees more shops. I sometimes cant stand looking at those wackass triple square fasteners. They make the assembly look...I dont know...frail. I have been building up my tool crib though.