PDA

View Full Version : fully gutted airbox ( both chambers)

black05ep
07-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Has anyone gutted both chambers and opened them upbtogether? Im in the process of gutting mine and im also tryin to lighten it up a bit and while cutting piece from the first chamber i was wondering if it would be even more efficient and lighter if if removed the middle piece at the top and the fins in the 2nd chamber on top? Want a few replies then ill do it and post pics and my thoughts on it.

black05ep
07-17-2012, 06:25 PM
So i ran into a few issues with th both chamber thing. I already knew the fins in the 2nd chamber held the filter in place.so i pretty much just cut out the wall inbetween and grinded as many ridges as i could from the topp half. Looks pretty good so far.going to see if i can cut a little bit more out and knock some more weight out. Then ill repaint it and wrap the outside in head reflective tape.

gribly
07-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't bother doing more than cutting the main center wall out plus the top of that first tube kinda part (just like on the hondata website), and then grinding the fins along the outside walls off with a dremel. Only took me an afternoon of screwing around while cleaning the engine bay. Heat reflective tape won't make much of a difference, the air isn't going to be there long enough to pick up much heat, and plastic is not very heat conductive at all. All you'll do is make your engine bay look tacky.

black05ep
07-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Well i see most people never work on th top half. So ive been working that out mostly.and im not heat tping the whole box,just the side the header and engine are on..i already hav e a spoon air filter. Just trying to get as much as possible out of the airbox..seeing if i get more from it than the intake..the signal auto dc5 r uses the factory airbox.as well as plenty others. So its good for something right?

gribly
07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Don't touch the top half. I looked it over, it's the equivaent of a nicely bent tube. The chamber in it off to the side is a resonator, it doesn't really impact flow much, other than some turbulence in that area. Anything you do here is going to increase turbulence, other than simply blocking off the resonator. If it bothers you that much, just get a CAI or short ram.

black05ep
07-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a short ram. The airbox is an expirament. Just a project.i havent messed with that tube running thru the top. I opened up the resonator area.

Blue03Si
07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Here is the link to the Hondata info also.

http://www.hondata.com/techkseriesairboxmod.html

black05ep
07-18-2012, 11:57 AM
yep ive seentn it. but i just havent seen anyone make any mods to the top. and if cutting the fins from the bottom half help. then why the hell wouldnt cutting them from the top half. fyi once again. i have not cut out any of the fins that hold the filter in place. just pretty much all the dead unused plastic from the resonator chamber and part of the separating wall.