PDA

View Full Version : Noise from Wheel

civicsidrvr
07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
I had this noise a little over a year ago and then had my brakes replaced and it either disappeared or wasn't as noticeable. Now it's coming back. It's a very faint "whiskwhiskwhiskwhisk" when making a right turn (sounds like the front left wheel). The radio has to be off, very little traffic noise, etc. to hear it. It sounds similar to applying your brakes lightly right after it rains (when they're rusty) but it does it all the time whenever I make a right turn (I can't hear it at high speeds because there's too much engine, road, and tire noise). It's only noticeable under about 10mph. I assume something must be rubbing on something. I jacked the car up and rotated the wheel and don't feel anything (but there's not weight on the wheel when I do that). Any particular locations to stare at? Otherwise it's easy to overlook things.

Thanks for the help!

xx_civic_si_xx
07-19-2012, 12:51 AM
same here...bump

sistealth02
07-19-2012, 03:53 AM
I had this noise a little over a year ago and then had my brakes replaced and it either disappeared or wasn't as noticeable. Now it's coming back. It's a very faint "whiskwhiskwhiskwhisk" when making a right turn (sounds like the front left wheel). The radio has to be off, very little traffic noise, etc. to hear it. It sounds similar to applying your brakes lightly right after it rains (when they're rusty) but it does it all the time whenever I make a right turn (I can't hear it at high speeds because there's too much engine, road, and tire noise). It's only noticeable under about 10mph. I assume something must be rubbing on something. I jacked the car up and rotated the wheel and don't feel anything (but there's not weight on the wheel when I do that). Any particular locations to stare at? Otherwise it's easy to overlook things.

Thanks for the help!

Try checking your brake dust shield on your wheels. It most likely got bent, and is coming into contact with the brake disc. Just go ahead and bend it away from the brake disc. This SHOULD solve your problem. What probably happened was whoever replaced you brakes last (or whoever worked in that area last) leaned on the dust shield, or bent it somehow.

I had this same exact issue when my whole brake assembly was off my car (same exact wheel too). This is how I fixed that problem. No more weird noise issues after that.

Let me know how this works out for you guys.

black05ep
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM
I recently just had the same problem and after spending 2 weeks taking the wheels and brakes off the front checking for a rubbing shiled or rock stuck. It turned out to be my back brakes. Check your rear brakes and your brake fluid i had a leak which probably didnt help either.

civicsidrvr
07-22-2012, 10:00 PM
It looked like the dust shield MAY have been rubbing. Not much if any. But, I gave it a good bend the other direction. If the noise is there, it's been quieter. Hopefully that was the issue and now I can just worry about resetting my SRS light every few days. Anyone know how to cause a diversion, use the Honda dealer's scan tool quickly, and not get caught? LOL! Just joking. Well, unless you have a fool proof method. Ha!

b_ron
07-23-2012, 07:03 AM
what wheels are you running?

sistealth02
07-26-2012, 02:56 AM
It looked like the dust shield MAY have been rubbing. Not much if any. But, I gave it a good bend the other direction. If the noise is there, it's been quieter. Hopefully that was the issue and now I can just worry about resetting my SRS light every few days. Anyone know how to cause a diversion, use the Honda dealer's scan tool quickly, and not get caught? LOL! Just joking. Well, unless you have a fool proof method. Ha!

Awesome.