PDA

View Full Version : installed HFP suspension, creaking up front - need haaallp :D

HFPcivicSI
07-20-2012, 08:31 PM
OK so I got my HFP suspension installed this week. Front end makes a little noise.... So I got my HFP 16" rims and tires mounted and balanced and an alignment. I asked the tech to check the springs, because I had a similar problem before in another car (and after checking the springs they were not seated in their notch, so springs were just turned and then clicked in).

He can back with the answer that my HFP's did not have the rubber spring "seats". I want to order them from honda.. I would imagine that it doesnt matter what springs as HFP is really OEM spec stuff..

Here is the part # I think I need - 51402-S5A-701 RUBBER, FR. SPRING MOUNTING $23.68 $16.77

But, do I need anything else? Is there a top, or just bottom section? Do I need this part too?:
51688-S5A-701 SEAT, FR. SPRING (UPPER) $18.35 $12.99 2

I am not sure why my brand new hfps did not come with out it, someone most likely jacked it :( But I think the stock OEM stuff would fit... I just need something to stop the front end creeking.

HFPcivicSI
07-22-2012, 11:49 AM
bump. Would like to get it straightened out this week, any input?

HFPcivicSI
07-23-2012, 06:05 PM
I might have to post this in the main section of the forum, doesnt seem to get much action in the subforums. i gotta find this answer out, and need some help from you guys. :)

I just need to know if I can purchase the front "spring seats" that are rubber and compress the springs, and put them on each front shock. I see tein sells them, but also the OEM honda parts are available. I would most likely buy the aftermarket tein ones though. (or another aftermarket company).

Thanks!

ragebomb
08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Bump for you. If I knew the answer I'd help you out for sure. But I can help you narrow down the problem.

1. Are you sure your HFPs are new? I would think that Honda would include seats with their HFPs. That's really odd.

2. Where in the front is the squeak? Only 1 side or both?

3. You may want to remove your wheel and take a look at the strut/spring assembly. You should be able to tell for yourself if the top, bottom or both seats are missing.

4. Try to find pics of a full/new HFP suspension -- that should tell you if the seats are included in both upper and lower.

5. Are you sure your end ties are not blown? That can cause a metal clunk (not really a squeak).

My guess would be that adding the oem upper and lower seats would be fine to do. Not sure if the Teins will fit properly, the springs may have a different diameter.

Andrew
08-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I might have to post this in the main section of the forum, doesnt seem to get much action in the subforums. i gotta find this answer out, and need some help from you guys. :)

I just need to know if I can purchase the front "spring seats" that are rubber and compress the springs, and put them on each front shock. I see tein sells them, but also the OEM honda parts are available. I would most likely buy the aftermarket tein ones though. (or another aftermarket company).

Thanks!

to be honest that is not needed. the spring seats are more for luxury than anything. you dont need them. give it a week or two before you take any actions imo and see if it still creaks. remember you just got them installed and that means that everything needs a little settling. good luck.

HFPcivicSI
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Its just one side (passenger side) that creeks. I am thinking it is something else, and not the HFP setup, as it was doing it before I replaced the new suspension now that I think about it.

HFP was def brand new when my friend installed it for me - I am betting its something with the steering rack/tie rods or something. I am wonderng if the steering rack was under a lot of stress when the guy before me had a super low setup on the car. With the new HFP setup on there, it doesnt sound as bad as it did before, but I want it to sound like a brand new car. Guess its time to start replacing things :)

Are the tie rods a good place to start?

Thanks Drew!

HFPcivicSI
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh yeah, and it is more of a clunk than a squeak for sure. I still would like to add the tein spring accessories to the car though if it will quiet it down a hair more once I get teh "real" problem fixed. I want the car to be creepy quiet :)

ragebomb
08-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Its just one side (passenger side) that creeks. I am thinking it is something else, and not the HFP setup, as it was doing it before I replaced the new suspension now that I think about it.

HFP was def brand new when my friend installed it for me - I am betting its something with the steering rack/tie rods or something. I am wonderng if the steering rack was under a lot of stress when the guy before me had a super low setup on the car. With the new HFP setup on there, it doesnt sound as bad as it did before, but I want it to sound like a brand new car. Guess its time to start replacing things :)

Are the tie rods a good place to start?

Thanks Drew!

Oh yeah, and it is more of a clunk than a squeak for sure. I still would like to add the tein spring accessories to the car though if it will quiet it down a hair more once I get teh "real" problem fixed. I want the car to be creepy quiet :)

Hey man, based on this info it *does* sound like your tie rod ends are bad. That's a good place to start. No need to replace the entire tie rods just yet, start with the ends (which are like $30-50 on eBay). I have the same clunk and I just bought 2 ends via this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300546987714?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649. They came with the castle nuts and cotter pins. They look fairly well made but I haven't had the chance to install them yet.

You can also check your end by taking off the wheel at that corner and pressing the rubber boot. If it leaks, looks torn/cracked on any side, or you can see into it, it should be replaced. The clunking is coming from the boot being "dry" of the fluid that should be inside it.