PDA

View Full Version : 1st world problems: A/C acting weird...

frankdogg
07-22-2012, 09:45 PM
so i recently did a DYI recharge on the A/C system, but now when the A/C is on my car does this little jerk as if the motor is stuttering. It's kind of hard to explain. I tried researching and my guess would be its the compressor.

can anyone help a brother out? socal is real hot these days.

thanks!

TheKone
07-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Does it do this just as it turns on or constantly? If it just happens when it turns on then it just means your compressor actually has something to pump now since you did a recharge. On the EP3 you can really tell when the a/c is on becasue the engine feels like it lost half its power.

bchaney
07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Sounds like its just the clutch engaging. When the system kicks on, the compressor will put an extra load on the engine so the revs may drop for a bit but thats normal. If its constantly studdering that could mean your compressor is going bad.

frankdogg
07-23-2012, 09:40 AM
this happens while its constantly on. I'll be driving on the freeway a/c has been on for some time and it start to stutter here and there.

i'm not a noob. i know that when the a/c initially turns on there is a slight hesitation. I'm not talking about that. sorry if i wasn't clear about that.

POOPTOOTH
07-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Maybe the compressor/Clutch/pulley is on the way out and is intermittently seizing up? Hope you figure it out!

sunshine
07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm assuming you've already ruled out that it's not the A/C relay. I would say from your description that it's the compressor. Good luck!

bchaney
07-25-2012, 06:00 AM
this happens while its constantly on. I'll be driving on the freeway a/c has been on for some time and it start to stutter here and there.

i'm not a noob. i know that when the a/c initially turns on there is a slight hesitation. I'm not talking about that. sorry if i wasn't clear about that.

I wasn't implying that you're a noob. To me that just sounds like the correct operation of the A/C system. The compressor will kick on when the system needs to be pressurized. Maybe something happened during the recharge? What caused you to need to recharge it? Is everything sealed up now? Did you vac out all the air and recharge with the spec'd amount of refrigerant (17-19oz IIRC)?

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
07-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Check to make sure u have the right amount of charge in the system. If u over charge it, it won't run right.

frankdogg
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Check to make sure u have the right amount of charge in the system. If u over charge it, it won't run right.

so if i did overcharge it, is my best bet to release the overage amount?

frankdogg
07-25-2012, 05:28 PM
I wasn't implying that you're a noob. To me that just sounds like the correct operation of the A/C system. The compressor will kick on when the system needs to be pressurized. Maybe something happened during the recharge? What caused you to need to recharge it? Is everything sealed up now? Did you vac out all the air and recharge with the spec'd amount of refrigerant (17-19oz IIRC)?

haha. i know you weren't implying that I was a noob. You were asking all of the right questions. =)

btw, i think what caused all of this was overcharging it. I was refilling it and the gauge kept telling me i had more, so i did more. then all of the sudden, it went into the red zone.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
07-25-2012, 06:30 PM
I would release some and see what happens, i know when i did my ac i didn't pay attention and i over charged it, i realized when my ac compressor wouldn't stay engaged. After i released some pressure it started to engage and stay engaged. Moral of the story let some out and see what happens

frankdogg
07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
I would release some and see what happens, i know when i did my ac i didn't pay attention and i over charged it, i realized when my ac compressor wouldn't stay engaged. After i released some pressure it started to engage and stay engaged. Moral of the story let some out and see what happens

after reading your first post, i tried it and so far so good. 1st world problems resolved...=)