PDA

View Full Version : OEM rotor replacement

Popeye
07-23-2012, 01:31 PM
I have been slacking off on replacing my rotors, so I will be doing so soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on a couple of good OEM quality rotors? I havent torn into them yet, but do our rotors come vented from the factory? If not, I wouldnt mind spending a few extra bucks to get some. Ebay and Summit have a pair of plain-Jane vented front Brembo rotors for like $75. I can do that. It looks like the rears are a bit pricier though. (Is that even a word?lol)
Also, I have been told that SS lines are all the same. Has anyone had any problems with any particular brands of SS lines?

Popeye
07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
34 reviews and no one has ever changed their brakes before?

Ba82Ep3
07-24-2012, 08:35 AM
OE rotors bro... save yourself the headache. : )

jared07
07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
OE rotors bro... save yourself the headache. : )

Get some good pads...hawk hps

Ba82Ep3
07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
I hated Hawks. Broke them in and everything. One solid 100mph to 60mph... glazed them shits up. They smelled like a cooked clutch with smoke pouring off em. I always came back to OE pads. Even when i did the RSX-S rotor/caliper swap... i still ran OE pads. On a track day i ran OE pads... and swapped in new ones afterwards. lol

(all this on OE brake hoses i might add)

Popeye
07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
The reason I ask is because at AutoZone, they have two brands. I think they are Wearever and Mastercraft or some shiz. I just didnt know if there were certain brands that I should stay away from.
I WANT to go with EBC pads over the Hawk HPS's, but the manager at the Autozone here will actually replace your lifetime warranty pads once they wear down. So, I'll just go with their ceramic pads with a lifetime warranty. lol Still gonna upgrade the lines and fluid though. I can cook the HELL out of my fluid in the mountains, especially going DOWN! lol

tinman5
07-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Just go with the ones with the longer warranty, thats what I do. Replace them at oeast once before tge warranty expires.

Popeye
07-25-2012, 03:50 AM
That's the funny thing about this guy...you can keep replacing them. He seriously thinks that a lifetime warranty means you buy it once, and thats it. lol

Ba82Ep3
07-25-2012, 06:30 AM
Here is what Auto Zone and Advance Auto do to get ya... they promise this lifetime warranty... with certian limitations of course. THEN they change suppliers, after so many years and... when it comes time for a replacement they tell you YOU have to contact the original manufacturer because they no longer support the product or the brand. (They cant replace what they no longer carry).

Its a loophole, and one i have seen piss off more than one person. But they do it and do it often with brake parts, pads, and hard parts. Ive seen them try it with batteries too... saying they no longer carry the Titanium name battery, and it has been changed to Gold or whatever. I watched a store manager nearly come to blows with a customer over a 38$ payout over a warrantied prorated battery for this very reason.

Wearever has been around for as long as i can remember (since i was a kid)... but their blanks warp fairly easily. If you werent bangin them corners in the mountains... like i know you do... i would say snag them up. But im tellin ya... youll have the wobbles after the first month of ownership.

SS lines arent needed. Youre spendin money on bling, considering your uses.

jettadreams
07-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Just my 2 cents but I would not go with autozone rotors, I mean I guess you could just keep bringing them back for warranty but that means having to do a brake job over and over again.
I have Password JDM front rotors and love them. There not all that expensive either for slotted/or drilled.

Popeye
07-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Who makes a solid oe rotor? I dont want to spend a lot of money, and dont really give 2 shits whether they have holes in them or not. I want them to cool decently and not warp sooner than later.
I was reading the stuff on EBC's website, and they said that sometimes they will source rotors from other companies (which means other countries), but still run them through their QC. I'm not terribly concerned where the parts are made. I am concerned with getting the best rotor I can for a cheap price. There's no reason for a completely stock car to have Brembo or Wilwood cross-drilled and slotted rotors, you know?
And hells yeah I drive the shit out of it in the mountains every now and then! I'd take your sorry ass with me over to the Dragon if you can get off of your lazy ass and bring that POS Civic up here....haha

dj addicted
07-25-2012, 07:59 AM
just my 2 cents. When you see brembo (non big brake kits) rotors that are drilled and/or slotted, generally it is done by another company and not actually brembo. You can buy brembo blanks that are an OE replacement which should work great. Granted I do not know about the price so no help there.

Popeye
07-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah, Ive checked those out. The fronts are like $75 per pair for Brembos. WHat I dont get is how you can get the fronts for less than $100 PER PAIR, yet the rears are like $100 EACH. WTF? (This goes for several brands. e.g. EBC brake rotors.)

dj addicted
07-25-2012, 08:20 AM
gotta make their money somehow I guess since generally you don't need to change the rear brake parts anywhere near as much as the fronts.

Ba82Ep3
07-25-2012, 08:31 AM
And hells yeah I drive the shit out of it in the mountains every now and then! I'd take your sorry ass with me over to the Dragon if you can get off of your lazy ass and bring that POS Civic up here....haha

haha! This piece of shit EJ will pWn your EP... in 4th. LOL And the dragon sounds so good... but it will be a lil while longer before i have time off from work to go and do anything. Makin that skrilla...

.colin
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
I just bought rotors from Rock Auto - got some cheap ones and paired them with good pads. The fronts are vented and the rears are solid. From what I've read, you want to stay away from drilled rotors. Slotted or solid is the way to go.

Popeye
07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
haha! This piece of shit EJ will pWn your EP... in 4th. LOL And the dragon sounds so good... but it will be a lil while longer before i have time off from work to go and do anything. Makin that skrilla...

Nuh uhhh!!! For reals man, come up here during leaf season. The wife and I are gonna go camping at Fontana Dam the 19th and 20th of October. Hell, maybe we can get a mini-meet. Either way, you're MORE than welcome to come. Shit, so is anyone else for that matter.