PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! More spring install problems

Beachya
01-08-2003, 05:47 PM
What the frick, okay now Im so frustrated im laughing. Tie rod deal is no longer a problem, popped that bizzsnatch right off with a tie rod separator. Springs go on no problem, bu now I cant get the brake set up to sit flush so I can put the upper of the two large bolts back in to support the brakes to the strut. Just to let you know I have been out there with three other people for over 3 hours and we're stumped, the brake sits at a 45 degree angle and wont budge. yesterday it went back in no problem. Please help if you can b/c my car is sitting out front on jack stands and I feel like a jackass.

Thanx,

The guy who is having multiple problems with his spring install and should have just gone to the mod shop like Hondaman said.

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 06:04 PM
I posted a funky drawing for someone else with the same problem a while back, I'll try and find it. But basically, your driveshaft has been pulled out. There are three bearing that sit on the end of the shaft in a Y config that are supposed to line up perfectly so they can be pushed in. Try rotating the roter and fondling the rubber boot by the tranny and see if you can shove it in there.

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 06:07 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5913
the pic wont show so I'll try and find it

Beachya
01-08-2003, 07:23 PM
your awsome brudda. After doing this for what seems like forever Im calling it quits for the night and will jump on it first thing morning style. I think I know what you are refering to, but if you do find that pic I would love to check it out...thanx for the help!!

David

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Beachya
your awsome brudda. After doing this for what seems like forever Im calling it quits for the night and will jump on it first thing morning style. I think I know what you are refering to, but if you do find that pic I would love to check it out...thanx for the help!!

David
:D yeap, just push in and turn at the same time. You might want to push in and turn counter clockwise for a couple notches and then go clockwise...works for me everytime...that I forget to keep it from falling out :)

chunky
01-08-2003, 08:15 PM
What the frick, okay now Im so frustrated im laughing. Tie rod deal is no longer a problem, popped that bizzsnatch right off with a tie rod separator. Springs go on no problem, bu now I cant get the brake set up to sit flush so I can put the upper of the two large bolts back in to support the brakes to the strut. Just to let you know I have been out there with three other people for over 3 hours and we're stumped, the brake sits at a 45 degree angle and wont budge. yesterday it went back in no problem. Please help if you can b/c my car is sitting out front on jack stands and I feel like a jackass.

Thanx,

The guy who is having multiple problems with his spring install and should have just gone to the mod shop like Hondaman said.

wait, so the top bolt won't go in, but the bottom bolt will?

hmm, sounds like you need to get a c-clamp and push the piston back in on the brake caliper . . . if you're a brute, you can probably push it in by hand ;) but a c-clamp is the easy way.

otherwise check the driveshaft and make sure you didn't pull it out. you'd be able to tell immediately if the inner CV boot is really stretched out.

Beachya
01-08-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by chunky

wait, so the top bolt won't go in, but the bottom bolt will?

hmm, sounds like you need to get a c-clamp and push the piston back in on the brake caliper . . . if you're a brute, you can probably push it in by hand ;) but a c-clamp is the easy way.

otherwise check the driveshaft and make sure you didn't pull it out. you'd be able to tell immediately if the inner CV boot is really stretched out.

LOL I feel a little stupid right now, i just walked out there and did like 02SilverSiHB did, a little counter clock, then back and it just slid right in. Only took a minute vs. my 3 hours of (dunno what I'm doing) routine, but once I put one on I had to do the other. Just grabbed some attic lights, placed them around the car and went at it. So, Im only done with the front right now b/c Im sure my neighbors have had enough of my clinging and clanging for the night. Will finish it tomorrow. But thank you everyone for your help, it's much appreciated.

David

LazyAzzAzian
01-09-2003, 12:20 AM
i know this is kinda late but i have read a install of springs in HCI mag, and they say to unscrew the nut in the center of the front brakes, that will prevent the shaft from popping out

02SilverSiHB
01-09-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by LazyAzzAzian
i know this is kinda late but i have read a install of springs in HCI mag, and they say to unscrew the nut in the center of the front brakes, that will prevent the shaft from popping out
hahah, yeah, just take it out and put it right back in :D that's more trouble than it's worth. It's easier to just keep it from falling out by using a bungie cord type of deal, to keep it secured

chunky
01-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

hahah, yeah, just take it out and put it right back in :D that's more trouble than it's worth. It's easier to just keep it from falling out by using a bungie cord type of deal, to keep it secured

or support it with a floor jack.

HondaMan
01-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Wow, a lot of good info has surfaced lately...would have come in handy when I did mine back in July! ;)

I've updated my "How To" page < http://pryor.ws/honda/gallery1.htm > to include these very informative threads!

Feng
01-10-2003, 12:23 AM

i just did this tonight installing my neuspeeds. at first we were like what the fuck why isn't this top bolt moving up to match with the hole anymore, so after three hours off hammering down and screw this and screw that, ended up taking everything out and calling random guys at 9 30PM at night. we solved it. the drive train poped out of its socket, all you need to do it turn counter clockwise and push in, it doesn't take hammering, just a little push, if you are pushing really hard, that means its not lined up correctly. well i'm not the best at explaining things but if you still have trouble give me a PM and i can explain it. i'll post pics of my car FINALLY about sunday or so, the back springs haven't been replaced because we spent the whole nite on the passenger side front springs. but the second one took only 5min since we knew what we were doing. the back will be easy too.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Feng

, all you need to do it turn counter clockwise and push in, it doesn't take hammering, just a little push, if you are pushing really hard, that means its not lined up correctly. well i'm not the best at explaining things but if you still have trouble give me a PM and i can explain it. i'll post pics of my car FINALLY about sunday or so, the back springs haven't been replaced because we spent the whole nite on the passenger side front springs. but the second one took only 5min since we knew what we were doing. the back will be easy too.
Beachya already got it in.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 05:53 AM

So, Im only done with the front right now b/c Im sure my neighbors have had enough of my clinging and clanging for the night. Will finish it tomorrow. But thank you everyone for your help, it's much appreciated.

David
yeah, definitley get your rest :D I had more of a problem with the rear than the front. the rear comes right out...but getting it lined up to get that one fat bolt in is a little tricky. I had the car up on jacks...of course...and then used the lift with a piece of wood to push the shock up some more, and at the same time used a screw driver and slide it in between the shock and some where near the rotor (I shoulda took some pics to explain this better) and pivoted the shock to help align it more. Then the bolt went right in. It took me 45 minutes to figure out this trick :D before that I couldn't get the damn bolt to slide in :o hope you don't have the problem I had :)

Beachya
01-10-2003, 03:40 PM

yeah, definitley get your rest :D I had more of a problem with the rear than the front. the rear comes right out...but getting it lined up to get that one fat bolt in is a little tricky. I had the car up on jacks...of course...and then used the lift with a piece of wood to push the shock up some more, and at the same time used a screw driver and slide it in between the shock and some where near the rotor (I shoulda took some pics to explain this better) and pivoted the shock to help align it more. Then the bolt went right in. It took me 45 minutes to figure out this trick :D before that I couldn't get the damn bolt to slide in :o hope you don't have the problem I had :)

LOL, yeah actually I did have the same problem, place the rear shock back up and it wasnt lined up right to place the bolt in. But I loosened the top nut on the shock all the way to the top of the thread so the pressure wasnt there and it turned finally. I love the drop though, only had a little bit of noise from the front but it's gone now. Lots of thumbs up today. Thanx again for your help.

David

andyrsxs
12-27-2003, 03:43 PM
We are installing Neuspeed springs and the drive train on the front left popped out of its socket. We've tried following your directions posted but cannot seem to get it back in. We get it to where it wont move and spins the other wheel but are unable to level out the rotor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HondaMan
12-27-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by andyrsxs
We are installing Neuspeed springs and the drive train on the front left popped out of its socket. We've tried following your directions posted but cannot seem to get it back in. We get it to where it wont move and spins the other wheel but are unable to level out the rotor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's a bitch...keep at it and it will go in. PM me tonight if you still can't get it in...I just so happen to be in STP tonight and headed back to ATL tomorrow morning (very early...before 8AM) and could swing by there and help for a few minutes, since it is on the way.

2003EPHatch
12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Hondaman,

I am one of Andyrsxs's friends an I was "semi-helping" on the install an it took some time but we eventually got them in on both sides. We did the install on a friends Black 02 Si. Just wanting to reply back now that I got on an noticed your reply. Truly appreciate the offer to drop on by.

Btw for anyone, future reference, the spring install on my friends EP3 were Neuspeed Sports for a 2002 RSX (S). They seemed to seat themselves well on the shock from what I saw. They were supposed to be I believe a 1.5 inch drop for the RSX yet on the Si they did drop it about 2 - 2.25 after an estimate measure with the tape measure. Shocks will be coming quite soon I do believe but nevertheless for now it's a nice looking drop. Props to andy for taking charge in the install.

Later.