PDA

View Full Version : Hawk brake pads or OEM pads?

poeticfinesse21
07-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I just want some opinions based on other people's experience. One of my rear calipers is seized so since I gotta change that, I'm gonna change my front pads too. I've heard a lot of good things about hawk hp plus pads but what's the difference between hps pads and hp plus pads? Are the hp plus worth the extra $20? Or should I just get OEM pads? I don't track or autox, the car's just my spirited daily driver and I want something that'll be a little more responsive

Her-Name's-Ally
07-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Corsport has a deal on hawks right now plus 5% off until the 27th if its the extra 20 that's stopping you

fdnyjon
07-24-2012, 12:48 PM
in for brake pad difference as well

poeticfinesse21
07-24-2012, 01:15 PM
It's not the price, I just wanna know if there's a huge difference between the two

lemonhead228
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM
I have hawk hp+ and from experience its a very aggressive pad. I bought brand new dimpled ebc replacement rotors along with brand HP+ pads. I been driving around for a year on them and the pads still have plenty of life on them but my rotor's dimples are gone. It's smooth like stock now so if you run these pads, you have to get better rotors like stoptech.

But driving experience wise, its very safe compare to stock. After 2-3 stops its ready to go. I was going 100 mph and tested them out and it went to 50 mph pretty quick. Ima get the hps next since its less aggressive and more rotor friendly. Hope this help out.

poeticfinesse21
07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Good shit :thumbu: I think I'll go with hawk hps, thank you sir

Popeye
07-25-2012, 03:52 AM
I dunno man. The HPS's may be pretty cool, but I have read on here that a lot of people complain about the INSANE amount of dust, glazing, etc.

.colin
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
I just picked up some stoptech pads from Rock Auto, 30 for the rear, 40 for the front

tinman5
07-25-2012, 10:44 PM
The Hawks are great pads, but my personal preference is the Axxis Metal Masters. For the driving that I do and my experience with both, I run the Axxis, the Ultimates if I can find them. Especially when I know I will be taking the car out, usually the Nissan though. Maybe on longer runs than I go through the Hawks superiority becomes more apparent, but again, for the driving I do, the Axxis are plenty good.

The Metal Masters also dust a lot less than the Hawks and dont beat up the rotors all too bad. But being semi metallic means you will be going through some rotors. Just throwing another option out there.

lemonhead228
07-25-2012, 11:52 PM
Good shit :thumbu: I think I'll go with hawk hps, thank you sir

Glad I can help out.

I just picked up some stoptech pads from Rock Auto, 30 for the rear, 40 for the front

Definitely let us kno how they are!

fdnyjon
07-28-2012, 04:26 PM
brake dust FTL

EUB44
07-28-2012, 04:55 PM
I was asking the same question for myself and I decided to go with stock pads. We hear different stories about aftermarket pads. Usually most of them cause brake dust. If you are not going to track or anything , I would go with stock pads. Keeping the wheels clean is pain in the ass, especially if you have white wheels.

lemonhead228
07-29-2012, 01:27 AM
I was asking the same question for myself and I decided to go with stock pads. We hear different stories about aftermarket pads. Usually most of them cause brake dust. If you are not going to track or anything , I would go with stock pads. Keeping the wheels clean is pain in the ass, especially if you have white wheels.

lol so true brake dust and white wheels! The funny thing is mine wasn't brake dust, it's the dust from the rotor since the HP+ pads ate it all up!

I have to say the good things about them is they are really responsive and is very safe..

I never track before, just dd my car and even when I get done with my set, I still won't go back to stock pads even tho it tore up my rotors..

jared07
07-29-2012, 07:05 AM
OP did you end up getting the hawk's? If so what is your experience with them so far?

fdnyjon
07-29-2012, 10:59 AM
But does't Hawk make a performance set that has very minimal brake dust?

tinman5
07-29-2012, 12:35 PM
I do believe Hawk offers a ceramic pad.

But much like EUB44, I run standard issue stock replacement pads for daily driving. Wagner ceramics from Advance Auto Parts work perfectly fine and can take some mild thrashing on occasion. Very easy on the rotors as well.

poeticfinesse21
07-29-2012, 09:29 PM
OP did you end up getting the hawk's? If so what is your experience with them so far?

I didn't get the pads yet, turns out my passenger rear caliper had been seized a lot longer than I thought and the pads on the one good rear caliper were worn down to the metal and fucked up my rotor :frusty: so the new caliper, new rear pads and new rear rotors means......now I'm broke :mfrown: I got it all from autozone so nothing fancy. I used to work there so at least I got a discount but I'm definitely getting the hawks for the fronts before winter comes around.