PDA

View Full Version : Need some outside opinions...

1GR8EP3
07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Sup peeps, (I hope I put this in the right spot, if not mods please move)

Well I am kind of caught in a dilema on which route to go with Boo (my ep3), I have about a 3k budget that I can add too but would rather keep the cost down. I am currently deployed so I have the time to think about things but now I am at that stage where I need to set it in stone so I can start looking for the best deals. In the end I want it to have the kraftwerks sc kit with around 400whp (if it makes more great). I already have the injectors and fuel pump (which I might upgrade to an aeromotive 340), I plan on having it tuned on e85. I also have a stage 4 clutch installed so I will be saving a little money there.
The reason for this dilema is the rings on my k24a1 started to let go after I made 407whp on 100oct (crazy blowby) right before I left. I already sold the t-kit to a buddy of mine to help set me up for whatever route I choose to go.

Alright here is what I have been thinking so far...

A) I found a k24a1 short block for around $400 which I can add...
ARP Headstuds
type s oil pump
ATI Super Damper
- Then save up for a couple of months then purchase the Kraft Kit and everything that is needed to get it going i.e. piping, intercooler, BOV, etc...
Total est cost: $3500

B) Build my k24 with...
12.5cr supertech pistons (87.5mm)
Eagle H-beam rods
ARP Headstuds and rod bolts
ACL rod, main, and thrust bearings
ATI super damper
kmod type s oil pump
Then get it balanced and blue printed
- The goal with this is to spin it reliably to 8.5k
- Then after a couple years throw the Kraft kit on it and let her run
Total est cost: $2500

C) Purchase a K24a2 (I have found them with about 60 to 70k going for 1800)
Slap on the Kraft kit
Total Est: $4300

So now you know why I have been throwing these set ups around driving my self mad haha... I guess my question is what do you suggest and why?.

Thanks
Q

Ba82Ep3
07-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Open her up... you might can just get away with re ringing it and bring it up to speed for less than $200. Slap the Kraftwerks kit on it and work out the tune and all of the bugs (things you decide you wanna change after pretty much any install) and have fun wheeling it. In the meantime pick up a spare block and rebuild it to choice B specs... win win baby!

1GR8EP3
07-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Open her up... you might can just get away with re ringing it and bring it up to speed for less than $200. Slap the Kraftwerks kit on it and work out the tune and all of the bugs (things you decide you wanna change after pretty much any install) and have fun wheeling it. In the meantime pick up a spare block and rebuild it to choice B specs... win win baby!

Thats a good idea BA... Man I cant wait to get home now haha.

I will prob pick up that spare short block just in case and like you said, build the other one to B specs.

Hows life in mobile BA??

Ba82Ep3
07-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Hows life in mobile BA??

Hot... and humid. lol

1GR8EP3
07-27-2012, 01:18 AM
Hot... and humid. lol

O man that aint to bad... out here there about 50 years behind us, its dusty, smoggy, dusty, and dirty, o and dusty lol. About a week ago this place had an earthquake... man I jumped up and ran out the building hahaha

Blah1219
07-27-2012, 06:51 AM
There's always option D. Budget OEM build:

K24z 11cr pistons
K24a2 rods
K24a2 crank
Modified K20a2 oil pump

F22c valve train
Rockin' the '06 tsx cams

Save alittle on the side and pick up that Kraft kit

Why build a badass block and just slap a stock head on it?

1GR8EP3
07-27-2012, 09:06 AM
There's always option D. Budget OEM build:

K24z 11cr pistons
K24a2 rods
K24a2 crank
Modified K20a2 oil pump

F22c valve train
Rockin' the '06 tsx cams

Save alittle on the side and pick up that Kraft kit

I thought about too and thats actually a good idea... But I wanted to use F20 pistons (they have .25mm over from the factory) but they go for about $700 for a new set. Every thing else would be pretty cheap though, hmmm haha. I just want something that will last me in the long run, which is hard to make a choice because these k blocks stock cant be put through there paces for years haha. I have a buddy who has a k20a2 and making 480whp, and that thing has been going strong for about 5 years. Crazy how relaible they are.

As for the stock head, I am running a k24a1 head with a2 cams, springs, retainers, and seats. Not to worried about building the head because boost will be added into the picture, so if I want more power just change the pulley and add more boost. Also I really dont see spending the money for it either, unless I was building a crazy all motor set up then I would do the head as well.

Ba82Ep3
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I wanted to use F20 pistons (they have .25mm over from the factory) but they go for about $700 for a new set.

You know theyre not designed to be used in an iron sleeve, right?

Ba82Ep3
07-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Cuz the k24a1 head is just that bad ass? lol

Ba82Ep3
07-27-2012, 09:38 AM
O man that aint to bad... out here there about 50 years behind us, its dusty, smoggy, dusty, and dirty, o and dusty lol. About a week ago this place had an earthquake... man I jumped up and ran out the building hahaha

I dont think i could deal with the earth trying to crumble under my feet. Be safe out there... bring that ass home safe n sound bawse.

1GR8EP3
07-28-2012, 02:07 AM
You know theyre not designed to be used in an iron sleeve, right?
I honestly didnt know that... you sure though becouse the hasport k24 used them and it was ok for the season.... Need clarification BA hhaha

Cuz the k24a1 head is just that bad ass? lol
LOL!!! That it is

I dont think i could deal with the earth trying to crumble under my feet. Be safe out there... bring that ass home safe n sound bawse.
O man no worries, besides I have to keep you posted of my build... so I have to come back haha

Ba82Ep3
07-28-2012, 09:32 AM
The f20/22c has a fibrous bore like the h22a engines of years past. The slugs are softer and the k series iron sleeve will eat them up. Hasport got away with them because they put them in a race engine... that would get rebuilt prolly 4 times to your one rebuild. If you arent concerned about longevity you can use them... but be prepared for more work a lot sooner.

; )

1GR8EP3
07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Got you... Learn something new everyday. Got a quick question, are the 04 tsx rods thicker than the crv's? I know that the 06 tsx rods are thicker than the 04's, thats why I am asking. thanks

Ba82Ep3
07-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Yep... very much so. TSX rods look like 200lb woman legs... CRV rods look like crack head woman legs... minus the scabby knees.

1GR8EP3
07-30-2012, 01:02 AM
Yep... very much so. TSX rods look like 200lb woman legs... CRV rods look like crack head woman legs... minus the scabby knees.
LOL well thats a good analogy... Thanks BA