PDA

View Full Version : intermittent check engine light (camshaft position sensor, knock sensor)

txephatch
07-27-2012, 07:08 AM
My check engine light has been coming on intermittently for the last month or so. The first time i was really low on gas and the car started rough, and would not accelerate much at all, and felt like trying to drive with the parking brake on. Turned the car off, and back on, and it drove fine, and after adding gas, and heading to autozone, the light turned off before i got there.

Now, the car drives fine, but once a week the light will come on for about 20-30 miles before turning off again.

Finally got in with the light on, and codes say problems with the knock sensor and camshaft position sensor, possible causes being a bad connection.

because the problem is sporadic, is this likely the case? or could it be something more?

AttarixEp
07-27-2012, 07:50 AM
What's the code?

txephatch
07-27-2012, 08:16 AM
P0325, p0341

AttarixEp
07-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Clean the vtc solenoid with brake clean, it may be clogged. P0341 is a generic code Honda used for a bunch of the cylinder head problems. Possible that the p0325 came up in conjunction with the other code. Clean the vtc, make sure your oil is clean and full. I would even pull the valve cover and set TDC to make sure your chain didn't jump, just to be safe. If all is well, reset your codes and drive.

txephatch
07-27-2012, 08:35 AM
dumb question, where/what is the VTC and TDC?

AttarixEp
07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
VTC solenoid is on the passenger side of the engine bolted to the timing cover. Has one plug to unclip and a 10mm bolt. Wiggle it loose and pull, it's a tight fit. TDC stands for top dead center. There's a marking on your crank pulley and your timing cover. Spin it with a ratchet until those markings line up. Pull the valve cover. Both gears have markings on them as well. If it is in time, there will be an arrow on each gear that points at one another. --> <-- similar to that. There are also 2 dots that should be pointing straight up 90 degrees from the arrows. They will align with a darker link of the timing chain.