PDA

View Full Version : Request: DIY Short Ram

ellman605
07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Hey all. I've seen a few posts, but most of em are older and the picture links have expired. Has anyone put a cone filter onto the stock airbox? I love the sound of the short ram but don't care enough to pay a good amount of money for one. I'm not looking for speed or increases, just sound. Hence, the DIY cone filter on airbox... :mcool:

black05ep
07-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I honestly dont think its possible unless you put alot of work into it.and after that much work will it really be worth it. Because if the cone filter is in the airbox you probly wont hear it anyway.i gutted my entire airbox and have a spoon filter and it took me about a week of 2 or 3 hours to get it where i was happpy.im happy with the performance of it. But i think your better off goin on ebay and ordering an ebay intake. Itll probly run you a little more than the cost of a k&n cone filter. And youll see a bit of performance as well as the sound your looking for. Good luck

EUB44
07-28-2012, 06:13 PM
I have K&N Typhoon kit. Sounds amazing. I paid over $200 2 years ago. Amazon sells it for now $144.

http://www.amazon.com/69-1009TWR-Typhoon-Intake-Short-Ram-Wrinkle/dp/B000CO9UZU

whatsvtec
07-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Hey all. I've seen a few posts, but most of em are older and the picture links have expired. Has anyone put a cone filter onto the stock airbox? I love the sound of the short ram but don't care enough to pay a good amount of money for one. I'm not looking for speed or increases, just sound. Hence, the DIY cone filter on airbox... :mcool:

You can do the hondata air box mod, or turn your stock box into a cheese hole box. But as far as cone filter, I've never seen anyone do something proper.

jared07
07-28-2012, 08:40 PM
U can make one out of PVC and spray it with some plasti dip/ black engine paint, did this on my jeep...

Nice thing about pvc pipe is it will not absorb heat compared to aluminum intakes

geeio
09-19-2012, 09:59 AM
ebay short ram intake done 40 bucks, or get a piece of pvc fit at the end of the flexy tube and put a cone filter on it, zip tie to to something and it will be the noise maker you always wanted, or buy a used intake from here or the rsx forums, got my injen megaram for 100 shipped

antisocial
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM
To put a cone filter on stock components, simply remove the airbox from the factory rubber snorkel. leave said snorkel attached the the throttle body. measure the inner diameter of the end of the snorkel. buy a piece tubing about 2" long in which the outer diameter measures the same as the inner diameter of your snorkel. put it in the end of the snorkel, tighten, and install a cone filter that fits on the end of your tubing.

rhdsirek4
09-19-2012, 11:11 AM
To put a cone filter on stock components, simply remove the airbox from the factory rubber snorkel. leave said snorkel attached the the throttle body. measure the inner diameter of the end of the snorkel. buy a piece tubing about 2" long in which the outer diameter measures the same as the inner diameter of your snorkel. put it in the end of the snorkel, tighten, and install a cone filter that fits on the end of your tubing.

I've done this before.lol. Good stuff man.

.colin
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Take off the OEM intake snorkel. This will give you the sound of a SRI and will also make your car drive like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.colin
09-19-2012, 12:52 PM
By snorkel I mean the inlet tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk