PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this ep3?

FutureEpDriver
07-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Hey guys, first post here, been lurking for about a month and a half (since I decided that a wrx is out of the budget :P). I just have to say, this is one of the most mature car forums I have read. And with all the awesome DIYs here, I feel well equipped to own an EP3.

With that said, I have honed in on one that seems decent, and I would like some opinions.

It is a 2004 Civic Si EP3 (duh). It has 155k miles. All stock except the radio. The dealer that is selling it replaced the entire ac system (compressor, condenser, and the low side hose). He has receipts totalling $470 from the local Honda dealership for all these parts. It has a clean carfax and clear title. (both of which I have seen). The was real honest about everything on the car. It drives nice, and straight. And shifting is smooth. I have tried to get him down, and he says the best he can do is 5800 ($6328 out the door).

My questions are:
Is this worth it(from what you can see)?
Is there anything I should be aware of before buying?

Thanks in advance!
Art

Manny Kid 15
07-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I say go for it it seems like a good deal... Kinda high on miles but its a Honda they can run for 300k with all the proper maintenance

MANNY KID 15

EUB44
07-28-2012, 04:45 PM
It is NOT that easy to find low mileage, well treated ep3 in these days. I like 04-05 ep3s more than 02-03. Headlights and tails are much better than previous years. (Some like 02-03 lights, Its just my opinion). If you get 04-05, you will get 5 lug 16 inch wheels. Which is huge plus for aftermarket wheels. More wheels options. If you ask me I would get it and drive it as long as k20a3 dies. Than you can start k24 project.

I wouldn`t be aware of anything since it is a Honda. Check the car`s history and see what kind of problems did she have in the past. (If it has on carfax.)

I bought mine with 46k mileage on it almost 2 years ago for DD. Now I am around 64k. Never had any problem. If car is treated well by previous owner, you should not worry about it. Also price seems fair.

FutureEpDriver
07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Well awesome! I just got back from the dealer, apparently you can only get out $500 cash from an ATM :P... So I will go on Monday and pick her up.

EUB44
07-28-2012, 06:01 PM
hope to see another member coming with ep3 on monday. Welcome to Ephatch. Post up pics when u get her.

whatsvtec
07-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Welcome! :hay:

In for pics.

jared07
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Maintenance and body are key...

FutureEpDriver
08-01-2012, 11:55 AM
Ok, after some confusion at Chase, and waiting on the dealer to get back from auction, I finally got her home! Soo much fun to drive this thing! It goes without saying, I like it better than my... Ah hem... Sweet Honda... Odyssey... Lol.

Some things I didn't quite notice in the test drive (but I like projects):
1) The a/c is hooked up to an aftermarket three position switch. So I ripped the dash apart to have a look. Looks like Texas chainsaw massacre up under there ><. They've got wires spliced into the stock wiring harness. It looks like maybe the stock fan control switch died? And the switch puts it on full high. The second second setting turns on the a/c clutch and the condenser fan. (fan stays on high). So I will have to look into this further... Maybe this weekend since the misses will be out of town.

2) The back right side marker was ripped off. :(

3) In keeping with the theme under the dash, the headlights have been hacked up too. Looks like they cut the high beam wires. I think they were trying to smoke the lenses. So I will probably be going for a full replacement of the lenses and potentially the wiring harnesses (depending on how in depth that is).

4) The drivers side window has issues rolling up. The weather stripping fell out at one point and was pushed back in by the window, so it is kinked.

5) There are scratches in numerous places on the body.

Other than that, it all seems pretty solid. I'm on my phone at the moment, so I don't know if I can post pics. But I will try :)

Nope, don't think I can.

FutureEpDriver
08-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Ok here are the pics. On my comp now, so this should be easier. Sadly, I did not get pics from under the dash :(

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2599/img1771i.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8899/img1772y.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/9766/img1773yu.jpg
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/982/img1774e.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2772/img1777q.jpg

Couldn't figure out how to load them into the forum.

EUB44
08-02-2012, 01:55 PM
dont spent your money and time for painting your stock wing. Get replica CTR wing and please change those headlights. Depo projector headlights could be best choose. Some guy sells it in our forum for decent price.

ep3colin
08-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Welcome, take her on the twisties!

ep3k20
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Moonsi sells the Depo projectors, and are a stellar upgrade over any stock ep3 headlight. I agree tho ditch the stock wing and get a rep CTR wing.

Also, are you aware they sold you a small child with youre car? Once you touch him/her....its yours...so