PDA

View Full Version : 1st time changing trans fluid

ZeoMaX
08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
i'm at 92k on ma ep3 and i was wondering what trans fluid you guys recommend?
bought ma ride used at 86k and i haven't had time to do this one fluid change :mfrown:

poeticfinesse21
08-05-2012, 10:33 PM
If your car is stock, honda MTF all the way. K-series transmissions are very sensitive but if you change the fluid often, it will last you a long time. I change mine at least once a year or every 15k, whatever comes first.

poeticfinesse21
08-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Here's a DIY if you haven't done it before...it's easier than a oil change and some shops charge up to $80 :shakehead:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/content.php?191-DIY-Transmission-Fluid-Change

fdnyjon
08-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Question.. Why do people say that you shouldnt change your tranny fluid often! Damn ppl give wrong information smh I got the OK to change your tranny fluid everytime you change your oil from one of the Spoon Honda guys.. He was pretty old and he looked like he knew exactly what he was talking about! lol

poeticfinesse21
08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Question.. Why do people say that you shouldnt change your tranny fluid often! Damn ppl give wrong information smh I got the OK to change your tranny fluid everytime you change your oil from one of the Spoon Honda guys.. He was pretty old and he looked like he knew exactly what he was talking about! lol

Because people are stupid lol. No but seriously, a lot of american cars, specifically automatics come with sealed transmissions. They claim their transmissions never have to be serviced :shakehead: then people wonder why those trans never last as long as honda's or other japanese cars. My friend wanted to change the trans fluid on his auto grand am so it would shift better and when we researched it we found out that we practically had to take the whole trans apart to do that, and it took like 8 quarts of trans fluid.

jared07
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM
service interval on the car is at 120K...yeah let me spend another $20 every few weeks changing tranny fluid too.

fdnyjon
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
service interval on the car is at 120K...yeah let me spend another $20 every few weeks changing tranny fluid too.

-_- lol This is for ppl who rip their cars on a daily basis.. lol

ZeoMaX
08-06-2012, 10:19 PM
i guess it would make sense to change your trans fluid along with your oil, or at least every 4 or 5 oil changes.
ok, so i know its about 2 qts of fluid, but what brand should i go with, cuz so far i've been told to stay away from Royal P.... and thats it. poeticfinesse21 suggested the Honda brand, any other suggestions?

poeticfinesse21
08-07-2012, 12:27 AM
I know I suggested honda MTF but I've been reading this thread and look at post #36:
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?69715-upgraded-tranny&p=976944&highlight=#post976944
I used to run redline synthetic MTL on my old integra so I might switch back to that or change my trans fluid more often, maybe every oil change. I've heard great things about amsoil trans fluid too and yes it's about 2 quarts, I've never needed more than 2.

fdnyjon
08-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Skip to 18:00

Now this guy knows what he is talking about!
Like i said before if your running everyday even on street then transmission fluids should be changed more often..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnBFUTCFRlk&feature=related

usedep3
08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I say GM SyncroMesh if you're running an OEM 5 speed or any non-LSD tranny.

If you're running a transmission with an LSD, I say OEM Honda MTF. Wavetrac recommends not using any friction modified MTF's.

Drunken Yak inc
08-07-2012, 06:48 PM
About 5,000 miles ago I changed mine out for Royal Purple 75w-90. When draining the old stuff, it was obvious that the "old" fluid was changed out prior to me buying it, so let's say it was 12 or so months old and roughly 7,000 miles on it. The difference between the two was drastic! The RP took the notchiness away from shifting, it literally felt more cushioned. While it's a slight bit thicker then the Honda MTF, I only really noticed on the rare occasion I took it out during winter. Having said that, I think this weekend I may switch it out to Redline and drive on that for a couple thousand miles... Then I will make a decision on which brand (Honda, Royal Purple or Redline) that I wish to use indefinitely.

poeticfinesse21
08-07-2012, 06:57 PM
Yea I think I'm gonna pick up some redline MTL for my next trans fluid change, it never did me wrong on my integra. If I don't feel a difference, I'll just stick to honda MTF and change the fluid more often.

Drunken Yak inc
08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Yea I think I'm gonna pick up some redline MTL for my next trans fluid change, it never did me wrong on my integra. If I don't feel a difference, I'll just stick to honda MTF and change the fluid more often.

It seems everywhere I look, people speak highly of Redline. Hopefully my expectations aren't too high! :nervous:

ZeoMaX
08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
i guess ima go with Honda's on my first try, give it around 12k and try Redline next, if i had the equipment and a place to do it i would brake down ma tranny just to see how much crap stays behing between mtf changes