PDA

View Full Version : Ac compressor growl/whine

rans0m00
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
So my AC compressor failed and I replaced it with a new part from Honda. When the AC compressor kicks on there is a whine/growl sound starting around 1500rpm. I'm thinking its a bad compressor but wasn't sure so spent the day localizing the sound. It appears to be from the compressor... or at least the loudest at the compressor (the grow/whine is more noticeable in the car than outside though). So I take it back and they exchange it for another one. I put the part on and its doing the exact same thing. Now I am lost... the compressor was pre-oiled and since then I have taken my car to a friends shop and he said the sound seems to be coming from the AC compressor also but considering its louder in the car than outside he thought it possibly could be a motor mount issue. Quick inspection of the mounts and they look intact but I guess one could be getting weak. I eat motor mounts for some reason.

If anyone has a guess or has had a similar issue I would love to hear it.

SC61Boosted
08-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Could it be your tensioner pulley?? I had to change mine a while ago because it was making a noise

bchaney
08-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Hold a broomstick up to your ear and touch the other end to each component, you should be able to confirm which one its coming from. Also check the idler and tensioner pulleys as mentioned above.

rans0m00
08-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Hmm potential fail on my part. I have a stethoscope, when I get home I will check the pulleys. I did localize it to that area but I did not go pulley to pulley.

logansmith
08-10-2012, 04:39 AM
Guys from where can i buy the new tensioner pulley my previous one is not working...!! any suggestions????

LED strobe lights (http://www.panaceaco.com/)...Urgently needed...!!!

bchaney
08-10-2012, 01:22 PM
hondapartsunlimited.com

Or if it's really expensive find a used one on the k20a.org classifieds

rans0m00
08-13-2012, 11:56 PM
Just a follow up. So it made the noise for about a day or so... Then stopped and everything is acting exactly how it should. If it acts up again I will post more.