PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have heated seats?

HFPcivicSI
08-13-2012, 06:43 PM
As title states.. looking to add heated seating in the fall... I see a few generic kits that you just splice in to get them to work, just seeing if anyone that still posts here has done it. Any tips I should know? I will only be buying the drivers side, not worried about the passenger sides ass warming up lol. Looking for something to help keep my back relaxed after the gym, and to keep me toasty when the cold mornings hit.

newep
09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Yup I installed a generic kit( ebay) into both of the leather type-s seats that I have.
the install was a bit painful but not too bad, taking the cover off the bottom seat pan is easy, just watch you don't tear any of the material attempting to take off the hogrings, the upper seat was a bit more tricky.
I put the switches on either side of the cigarette lighter in the center counsel, nice and hidden.
When reinstalling the seat cover you can either buy more hogrings and hogring pliers or use zip ties pulled to the same diameter as the closed hogrings.
All and all i think it was worth it, especally in the cold winters we have in canada

02ep3413
12-14-2012, 07:50 AM
How much did you pay for it? and is it a pain in the ass to install. I really want to use something in mine.

newep
12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
I think i paid $80ish a kit (side) and anything that you have to install yourself, is a pain in the ass.
There was a DIY write up with pictures on kseries.com a long time ago, it gave a pretty good run down on what was needed. If your not experienced in a shop then its probably too much to do yourself.

But really all it is is pulling the seat out, taking the bottom cushion off and slowly removing the hog rings that hold the cover on, then gluing the heating pad to the foam seat pad and putting the cover back on. the upper seat is slightly more difficult because there is more material and foam to work with.

Running the wires is pretty straight forward, you need a ignition power source (i think there is an empty 15amp fuse slot in the underdash fuse block (factory rsx heated seats option) and a ground.

I ran the wire bundles under the center counsel, and the high/low switches were put into either side of the cigarette lighter, factory switches are placed in the little compartment slot behind the ebrake.

It took me a solid 8 hr day to do everything and I've reupholstered seats before so I knew what I was getting myself into.
honestly for me it was worth it, now i can have a warm seat and not have the heat melting my face as i drive!

my only concern would be how the alcantra material will hold up to heat.

doubledouble
01-24-2013, 10:46 PM
I think i paid $80ish a kit (side) and anything that you have to install yourself, is a pain in the ass.
There was a DIY write up with pictures on kseries.com a long time ago, it gave a pretty good run down on what was needed. If your not experienced in a shop then its probably too much to do yourself.

But really all it is is pulling the seat out, taking the bottom cushion off and slowly removing the hog rings that hold the cover on, then gluing the heating pad to the foam seat pad and putting the cover back on. the upper seat is slightly more difficult because there is more material and foam to work with.

Running the wires is pretty straight forward, you need a ignition power source (i think there is an empty 15amp fuse slot in the underdash fuse block (factory rsx heated seats option) and a ground.

I ran the wire bundles under the center counsel, and the high/low switches were put into either side of the cigarette lighter, factory switches are placed in the little compartment slot behind the ebrake.

It took me a solid 8 hr day to do everything and I've reupholstered seats before so I knew what I was getting myself into.
honestly for me it was worth it, now i can have a warm seat and not have the heat melting my face as i drive!

my only concern would be how the alcantra material will hold up to heat.

Bump. This sounds like a god send. How's it holding up? Any luck finding the DIY?