PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise on passenger side

Reaper27
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
For the past few months i've been hearing this noise coming from my front right side. It's a popping/creeking/whining noise that has been getting worse. It only really does it when the car is stopped and I have to sharply turn the wheel or if the car is moving slowly forward or especially in reverse when I have to turn the wheel while backing out of a parking space. As you can probably tell it mainly happens when the wheel is turned and the only time I notice any noise when going straight is when I'm driving through a parking deck. There is no noise when at higher speeds (above 30 mph). I've replaced the outer tie rod ends because they were getting pretty worn and had an alignment done but it didn't help at all and it has actually gotten a little worse since then. Could it be that the axel is going out or something along those lines? It is a stock suspension with the exceptiong of a rear tie bar that was given to me. The car only has 96,000 miles on it but coukd it be something like the suspension going out mayeb? If anyone has had anything like this happen any help would be great.

poeticfinesse21
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Could be your axle, your lower ball joint, your wheel bearing or your front LCA bushings might be shot. Did you check all those?

Reaper27
08-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Ok, I was told awhile back that I needed to replace my ball joints sometime in the near future but at the time didn't have the extra money so never really got around to it. I guess it could be that, I haven't checked the bushings but how would I check or tell if it's the axel?

poeticfinesse21
08-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Check if the bushings where the LCA bolts on to the subframe are torn and check if your axle boots are torn. It could very well be your lower ball joints if you were already told that they were bad. Ball joints are like $20 each at autozone and I don't know what labor rates are like by you but my mechanic charges me $60 per side for installation

gtecd20
08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
i have that same noise like a click at low speeds when i start to go
im sure its my LCA buhings, i know one is torn just havnt had the time to get it replaced

Reaper27
08-14-2012, 11:52 AM
i have that same noise like a click at low speeds when i start to go
im sure its my LCA buhings, i know one is torn just havnt had the time to get it replaced

Ok, at least i'm not alone ha. I think I'm going to replace both the ball joints and the LCA bushings since they both probably need it and see if that fixes the problem.

poeticfinesse21
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
It might be less of a headache to just replace the whole LCA. It would say get a LCA from a RSX Type-S, the bushings are a lot stronger and make sure you replace both sides.

Reaper27
08-14-2012, 02:03 PM
It might be less of a headache to just replace the whole LCA. It would say get a LCA from a RSX Type-S, the bushings are a lot stronger and make sure you replace both sides.

Is the RSX-S LCA a direct fit to the EP3?

poeticfinesse21
08-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Yes but only the ones from 02-04 RSX-S, 05-06 are different

Reaper27
08-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, my EP is an 05 so what would I need?

poeticfinesse21
08-14-2012, 08:06 PM
All EP's are the same, only the RSX changed in 05-06

Reaper27
08-16-2012, 04:53 AM
Ok, is it very difficult to replace the ball joints and LCAs? I don't have much experience with suspensions but if it's pretty straight forward I can probably figure it out but I have a few buddies that ate more knowledgable than I am in that area that I can probably get to help me. All the quotes that I've gotten to replace them from shops have been between $350-$500. Which is def out of my budget right now ha

poeticfinesse21
08-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Get a quote from Kmod in Greensboro, it's not something I would recommend you do yourself unless you have access to a shop. Maybe the LCA's but the ball joints are a huge pain.

Reaper27
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh ok, that sucks cause I like doing things myself but I don't want to get in over my head and be out a car. Have you used Kmod before?

poeticfinesse21
08-16-2012, 05:27 PM
No I haven't but I see that you're not that far from them so maybe they'll give you a better quote than the other shops.