PDA

View Full Version : Bring some life back to my wheel.

AttarixEp
08-15-2012, 03:18 PM
I have a used Sparco steering wheel. The suede is faded and cracked and pretty rough. Does anyone know how to clean it up or restore it without having to re-wrap it?

For those who will ask why I refuse to re-wrap it. I bought it from a good friend of mine a couple years ago, and he passed away last year. So I would like to keep it as much like it was when he gave it to me. All the stitching is great and the padding is still stiff. Just looks a little rough.

mitchlikesbikes
08-15-2012, 03:20 PM
pics?

AttarixEp
08-15-2012, 03:30 PM
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i417/attarixep/sparco.jpg

rd02SiR
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
if its suede, i'm pretty sure there isn't anthing that i knw of that you could do.

If it was alcantara, you would be able to gently bring the fibres back with a hair brush i believe.

AttarixEp
08-15-2012, 05:20 PM
There's still some texture left on the spokes where it was never touched. The rest looks like a desert though. Makes me want to water it ;)

whatsvtec
08-15-2012, 06:51 PM
I would try a gentle steaming and a diluted upholstery/fabric cleaner. Or, aerosol fabric cleaners and a gentle scrubbing with microfiber. I bet you can get some life out of it.

AttarixEp
08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
I would try a gentle steaming and a diluted upholstery/fabric cleaner. Or, aerosol fabric cleaners and a gentle scrubbing with microfiber. I bet you can get some life out of it.

Have to try one or both of those this weekend and see what I can make happen.