PDA

View Full Version : 02 EP3 Valve tick once warm

bboynumero3
08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find anything that really matched my issue. I have an 02 SiR(canadian), with 238,000 KM's. When I start the car, it's fine, loud injectors like most hondas. But once it warms up and idle's down, there seems to be a pretty loud tick coming from the engine. It seems like the top of the engine, and I can hear it when it's idling, or when I'm driving past something I can hear the echo. I just got the car and it's been doing it since I got it, it just doesn't seem quite normal. I don't know anybody else with one of these cars, so I have nothing to compare to. I read up on a few similar forums, some people say thicker oil. I was hoping for any insight into this issue, thanks in advance.

whatsvtec
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm guessing possible cam galling? I've got the same noice, I'll check the cams and update after I pull the valve cover.

bboynumero3
08-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I checked the cams, they are spotless from what I can see. Any other help from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I don't know anyone with this car, so I've never heard one other than this one. Do these engines have obnoxious injectors ? like, I can hear it at times driving with the windows closed, and I have no idea if that's normal. Thanks again

MattEngels
08-24-2012, 09:15 PM
mines doing the same thing sounds just like valve but they just got adjusted when u put the new motor in.... I swapped my fuel dampener with another used one and the noise is still there and it seems like its louder when the car is fully warmed up.

bboynumero3
08-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Can someone confirm or deny if these have obnoxiously loud injectors ?

Tougeep3
08-31-2012, 02:29 AM
From my ear yes, these run really loud injectors. They tick SO loud, if you get a mechanics stethoscope or go old school and listen with a screwdriver you can pinpoint the location of the noise your hearing..but the loud tick, tick, tick is probably going to be your injectors.

As for thicker oil, you mean like 5w-30??

Also the service manual say to check/adjust valve lash every 168,000KMs.

bboynumero3
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I was thinking 5w30. And thanks, I dont actually have my manual, so I should check the valve lash

superchargedk20
09-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Our motors are known for valve noise. It's normal. Unless someone actually heard the sound theres nothing anyone on the forum can do to confirm what your hearing.