PDA

View Full Version : burning oil quickly and bad gas mileage

tech9
08-22-2012, 03:31 PM
My cars been eating up oil quickly, and my gad mileage is significantly lower than it used to be.

I've been told different things such as valve damage, or that I just need valve adjustment. Anyone else have this problem or know what issue it might be?

mitchlikesbikes
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
have you checked to make sure you're not in a volkswagen? :mtongue:

lol jk. are you throwing any codes? if not i'd start with a valve adjustment, some injector cleaner in your next tank, and an oil change.

tech9
08-22-2012, 05:31 PM
have you checked to make sure you're not in a volkswagen? :mtongue:

lol jk. are you throwing any codes? if not i'd start with a valve adjustment, some injector cleaner in your next tank, and an oil change.

hahaha, no engine codes at all. Do the injector cleaners really help? Heard they dont do much but I dont know

mitchlikesbikes
08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
hahaha, no engine codes at all. Do the injector cleaners really help? Heard they dont do much but I dont know

for like 4 bucks its worth a try i think. valve adjustment will probably give you the best results though

poeticfinesse21
08-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Spark plugs, fresh oil (stay away from 5w-20 and try synthetic if you're not using it already), fresh trans fluid, air filter, tire pressure (assuming you still have decent tread left), suspension alignment (assuming your shocks aren't blown), valve adjustment. All the little things add up so start there if your check engine light isn't on. How quickly are you burning your oil?

gtecd20
08-23-2012, 06:07 PM
x2 does your have any smoke burning while driving maybe a seal needs to be replaced
on average whats your current MPG your gettting?
what have you done to that car recently?
any last maintence as well?

superchargedk20
08-23-2012, 08:57 PM
If ue burning oil Quickly ur rings are Prolly shot