PDA

View Full Version : need a new battery- options/help

jeenyusss
08-25-2012, 03:28 AM
well I havent post in forever. My battery on the si it completely done and wont hold a charge. I tried searching but couldnt find anything (unless its just the bogus tapa talk app). What are some decent batteries? I went from OEM to autocraft and now need one. I saw the odyssey 680c battery... thoughts? I dont mind spending to get a decent battery.

if it matters:
k20a3 turbo 301whp@10 psi. no audio equipment besides stock.

Help a sorta OG out that knows nada about batteries.

poeticfinesse21
08-25-2012, 08:24 AM
Optima yellow top if you got the cash, if you're on a budget, duralast gold batteries are great for stock replacement. I've had my duralast for over a year and it still holds charge like it's brand new

Lucid Moments
08-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Whatever you do don't get an Optima, they are garbage. I had two of them, both crapped out on my in a matter of months.

SC61Boosted
08-25-2012, 11:40 AM
The pc680 is a very good choice. Ive had one in my car for over 3 years and never had a problem with it. My Ep3 is also turbo charged (K20a3), so audio system either and the pc680 has worked great with my set up I just had to change it out a month ago because my car sits for weeks at a time and as a result, It killed the battery. However, its lasted a long time, car cranks good, it’s a lot smaller. Also, because it’s a non-spillable battery you can mount it on its side or any way you like. I mounted mine on its side.

Its going to cost you about $150 to $200 but its well worth it. I ordered my first pc680 from passwordjdm.com and payed about $200. When I bought my second pc680 I found it locally using the website below and I payed about $150 and they had it in stock. So try to get it locally, it may save you $50 bucks and you don’t have to wait for it to be shipped.

http://www.odysseybattery.com/locator.html

MajorJones
08-25-2012, 04:19 PM
I have been using my odyssey 680c for a little less then a year. It's great IMO, I'm a k20a2 turbo with basic audio. (no amp or sub) It started right up every time. Like SC61Boosted said, It's a lot smaller. I mounted mine under the passenger side headlight cause of the intercooler piping in the bay.

Here is a picture that shows the different in size from an optima vs. odyssey.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x240/StraightEpPower/2012-05-05171632.jpg

jeenyusss
08-28-2012, 09:38 PM
do either of you guys have a picture of how you installed it? it is considerable smaller and does not fit without sliding around with the stock bracket

poeticfinesse21
08-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Is anyone running the buddy club racing battery vs the odyssey?

tinman5
09-02-2012, 07:17 AM
The Optima red top in my Nissan lasted over 11 years and the only reason I replaced it last year was the threads were stripped clean during a terminal change. The red top in my GTI is going on 7 years with no changes in charge holding capabilities.
That being said, the Optima in my brothers truck lasted a little over year. I have also read several threads regarding the quality of Optimas in the past few years. If you get a good one, its arguably the best battery. If you dont get a good one, well, thats an expensive mistake. Fortunately for me my brother in law is a manager at an Advance Auto store so my warranties tend to run reeeeeally long. I simply prefer the cleanliness of non-acid batteries and Optimas are readilly available.
Interstate, Odyssey, pretty much any Gold labeled store battery will be ideal. Braille if you want a small(er) than stock battery for relocation purposes. Hell there are many lawn mower battery powered cars everywhere.
Lastly keep in mind the correct Optima for a Civic is not a red top but a yellow top. The smallest one offered I believe and about the same size as stock battery.

SC61Boosted
09-02-2012, 08:38 AM
do either of you guys have a picture of how you installed it? it is considerable smaller and does not fit without sliding around with the stock bracket

I tried PMing you a few days ago to explain how i installed my battery (i was having trouble posting to this thread for some reason). I'm not sure if your inbox was too full for you to receive it, though. Let me know if you still need some help with it...

lemonhead228
09-02-2012, 04:33 PM
My daralast went out and got a yellow too. It was around 200 but well worth it over time. Heard they last for a while

.colin
09-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I have an Exige battery I got from NTB that has lasted me 4 years and counting through PA winters. FYI the Braille batteries are re branded Deka batteries that sell for half as much. As far as the odyssey battery, PWJDM sells a new bracket to fit the smaller battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beechstreet
09-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Sounds like you are looking for a smaller sized battery, but if you decide to go with a tradtional-sized battery, I had an Exide Orbital in my Ep3 for 5 years that I scored from the clearance section at a Kragen for $25. I couldn't kill that damn thing. I used to park it with just the radio on (also powering an amp and subs) for hours and it had no problem cranking over. I left an interior light on for more than 24 hours and it still started up without hesitation. Late last year I parked the car for a month and when I went to fire it back up, the battery was toast. Wouldn't even hold a charge. I figured I got my $25 worth. I now go with Napa Legends and Costco Kirkland Signatures because of price and availability.