PDA

View Full Version : Replaced blown blower motor transistor, interesting thing is...

Mike Panic
08-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Earlier in the week I got in my car, turned it on and started driving, windows down and sunroof open. Oddly though, I didn't feel the fan blowing on my shins, as I usually keep it on 2-3 notches to keep air flowing through the car. Put the windows up, turned the radio off, no sounds coming from the blower motor, no air coming out. Great. A quick Googling session revealed the problem was most likely the blower transistor. Some threads suggested getting the Acura part numbered version because it was cheaper, and low and behold, it actually is79330-S6M-941 - paid $45 shipped off eBay, got it in 2 days.

Install wasn't that terrible, although most tutorials show it under the glove box, reality is it's behind the glove box, behind the computer. Still a pretty easy 25-35 minute job.

Happy to have working fans again, the next thing I noticed was how much more powerful the fan is, across the range. I would have never thought this part would die slowly, that it would either work or it wouldn't. Clearly mine must have had a slow death because fan on all the way is like WHOA.

Just wanted to share in case anyone's fans are blowing kinda not so hard.

tinman5
08-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Thats actually good to know. I think mine is following the same fate. I seldom run the blower at more than half speed, but I do believe the fan speed does not feel as strong. Probably replace the transistor with the Acura part as well.

Mike Panic
08-26-2012, 02:52 PM
I grabbed mine from an East Coast seller on eBay and it was $1 more than a Left Coast seller, being that you're smack in the middle of the country it's a coin flip for you, depending how fast you want it. It's just amazing that the Honda part number sells for $10 more!

tinman5
08-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Thats kind of a blessing being in Texas. As long as the sellers dont ship UPS. Cant stand UPS. Fedex usually gets anything to my door in a max of four days regular shipping, the bastards at UPS average 7 to 10 business days.
As for the part itself, I'm in no rush. My blower works well enough. Probably install it on the next oil change next month.

Mike Panic
08-26-2012, 07:47 PM
While you're in there I suggest replacing your cabin filters if you haven't done it before. Wal-mart, Fram Fresh Breeze brand, totally worth it.

tinman5
08-26-2012, 07:56 PM
Did those a couple months ago on both cars. Every year on Fathers Day weekend.