PDA

View Full Version : Top hat vs motor mount

Popeye
08-27-2012, 03:27 AM
I have a popping sound coming from underneath the car when I drive, and I'm trying to figure out: is it the motor mount or one of the top hats? I've never dealt with either before, and I don't really want to pay the mechanic to diagnose it if I don't have to. That and it would save me some money, which is important since I'm in school!
Anypoo, let me give ya'll what I know...it's not 100% of the time. The best way that I can get it to happen is when I'm going slower, some times from a stop. When I'm moving, it's usually when I shift. But again, it doesn't happen every single time. (That's why I was thinking maybe it could be a top hat as well.)
Or hell, could it be something else all together?

black05ep
08-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Is your car lowered at all. Or anything suspension wise? If so it cojld be your steering rack. Thats common. List whatever mods you have on your car. Ot will help narrow it down.

Her-Name's-Ally
08-27-2012, 09:38 AM
Milage? agree with the steering rack comment above. I have that problem and it sucks ace

Popeye
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Well damn...I dont know what happened, but I had a reply already posted, Came back to check for responses, and it was gone. Weird!
Anypoo....nah, 100% stock. I thought it could possibly be a motor mount, but it doesnt do it every single time like I figured a motor mount that was bad would do. No flippin idea! Oh, and it has 154k miles.

b16killer
08-28-2012, 12:39 AM
If the sound is heard during sudden acceleration/braking, it could be the lower control arm bushing aka "compliance bushing".

Popeye
08-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Is that something that I can check visually? Sorry, not too familiar with control arm bushings. Never touched one before.