PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air intake setup with k24a2 swap. Looking for ideas

imthebro
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
fellow hatchers !

I'm looking for into, pictures, setup details etc... of those of you who are running a k24 swap in their Ep3's with a cold air intake.

I have an Injen short ram from an RSX type-s which is probably robbing me of power on hot track days. I'd like to upgrade to a cold air intake (will consider home made...).

Please post pictures & details of your setups... I need inspiration ! :-)

Thanks !:mbiggrin:

newep
08-28-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a k24a1 with the RBB intake manifold and a short ram intake as well. Ive seen a 90 degree coupler ( Injen?) with a ebay cold air intake work before, i also think they ran a different top rad hose due to being too close and heating the intake.

I've been thinking of using the gutted stock air box ,re-ducted and wrapped in reflective heat tape.

Slip_Angle
08-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.

differentK
08-29-2012, 06:11 AM
what intake manifold are you using? the RBB and RBC dont seem to be very CAI friendly. i use the AEM CAI for the RSX type S since its 3in piping. i put a injen hydroshield on the filter and sculpted a blox velocity stack into my front bumper... direct cold air intake. worked nicely on both my stock PRB intake manifold and now the charger.

imthebro
08-29-2012, 09:29 AM
I have the RBB on my K24A2. I hear ya when you say not very friendly towards CAI given the TB angle...

DifferentK, can you post a picture of your setup, I'm curious to see your velocity stack & setup

thanks

differentK
08-29-2012, 10:25 AM
sorry no- i actually dont have any pics of my car... just not my thing. have you had yours tuned? results? ever consider the RBC to help out your top end?

1GR8EP3
08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
you can run the prb mani and get a ep3/dc5 cai, it will fit with very little modification if any is needed.

usedep3
08-29-2012, 10:54 AM
what intake manifold are you using? the RBB and RBC dont seem to be very CAI friendly.

Others have done it a 3" DC5-S spec Injen CAI on a k24a2/RBC setup

differentK
08-29-2012, 11:08 AM
^ true- the RBC is a bit easier than the RBB due to the TB angle. you need that flexible coupling for the TB like what injen provides- makes install easier. I ran the PRB back when i was NA- it made CAI choices a breeze for obvious reasons. it made good power too- i didnt feel like it was really holding me back.

usedep3
08-29-2012, 11:18 AM
I can't remember exactly who, but someone had a ~45 degree TB coupler w/ RBB, CAI & k24

cyllarus
08-29-2012, 08:18 PM
See below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbybaunNbA&feature=plcp

Please ignore giddy schoolboy commentary

I'm using an RBB intake with an injen CAI.
I had to flip the rubber elbow that attached the intake pipe to the TB, but once i did, everything mates up cleanly.

imthebro
08-30-2012, 04:42 PM
See below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxbybaunNbA&feature=plcp

Please ignore giddy schoolboy commentary

I'm using an RBB intake with an injen CAI.
I had to flip the rubber elbow that attached the intake pipe to the TB, but once i did, everything mates up cleanly.

Thanks. I like what I'm seeing!

The intake is for which model? Ep3, type-s?

cyllarus
08-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Was actually ON the car when i bought it, so I'm not sure, but i think its the EP3 one. Can get a model number off it when i get home..

black05ep
09-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I have a k24a1 with the RBB intake manifold and a short ram intake as well. Ive seen a 90 degree coupler ( Injen?) with a ebay cold air intake work before, i also think they ran a different top rad hose due to being too close and heating the intake.

I've been thinking of using the gutted stock air box ,re-ducted and wrapped in reflective heat tape.

Im k20a3 still but i have the stock box almost completely gutted.bottom and tophalf took as much out as i could. With a spoon filter and cold air ducting and i love it. I also blocked off the holes to the 2nd chamber on the top half as well.hope that helps some.
e

rhdsirek4
09-15-2012, 05:03 PM
all in fabrication makes some good intakes!!! check with them!

tlikethedrink
09-24-2012, 09:39 PM
big fan of your car!
i saw a couple of these set ups on type r sites...

k&n apollo kit

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/items-sale/74494-k-n-apollo-kit-samco-silicone-pipe-bend.html

not that expensive

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/kn-apollo-universal-cold-air-rc-5052ab/?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adword&utm_content=pla&gclid=CIyPq5_0z7ICFYQ7Mgodqh0AVA

OPTIMISE
09-29-2012, 10:06 AM
K24A2 + RBC + Comptech Icebox (EP specific) - will it work? I am worried the piping from the box to the bottom of the bumper might not fit well with the increased deck height of the K24A2 (future swap)

newep
09-30-2012, 03:57 PM
I recently just changed from a 2.75' SRI to a 3' CAI made for a TSX, I had to cut it and do a few minor adjustments, but it fits pretty well. Not only does the intake stay cooler, but it feels like it makes a bit more power.

gtecd20
02-18-2014, 04:45 PM
sorry to bring this back from the dead but does the type s injen CAI work for us swapped or would the tsx spec do the job?

usedep3
02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
sorry to bring this back from the dead but does the type s injen CAI work for us swapped or would the tsx spec do the job?

I ended up going this route. I have the dc5s 3" injen cai mated up to a k24a2/rbc and fitment wasnt an issue. You have to cut a little bit of the fender liner just like normal installation onto an ep3.

gtecd20
02-18-2014, 08:03 PM
Humm only bad thing is I'm running the rbb just hear it was better for bolt ons has anyone ran the tsx spec cai?