PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade radiator or is OEM suffecient

kaotik78
08-30-2012, 06:01 AM
Now that I've added a JRSC Street supercharger to my k20a3, I'm curious if adding a mishimoto radiator would aid in helping the motor stay cooler or if adding an oil cooler would be more beneficial. I've come across conflicting posts/comments stating that if your not making gobs of power it's just a bit of engine bay bling. I'm 50/50 on this right now but it's in the back of my mind for longevity.

USAF EP3
08-30-2012, 06:20 AM
When I was turbocharged with the GReddy turbocharger and using a front mount intercooler, I had no issues with overheating or running hot. This was even on auto-x days and doing high speed runs on the highway. The stock rad is pretty good considering for what it was designed for. I would say if you have sufficient airflow to cool and aren't around the 350+ horsepower range, the stock rad is good to go.

I will go ahead and say that after I did a coolant flush and used Honda Type II coolant (factory standard fluid) I did see the temps drop about 5* when I was cruising, so if it's been a few years or more, change the coolant out.

Lucid Moments
08-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Stock radiator is fine. I'm still using mine with my built, blown, water injected K24 frank. And I track my car regularly. Even on track days in the middle of August when it is hot as fuck the ECT never goes above normal. And an oil cooler is not necessary either. As a matter of fact, unless you go whole hog and get an oil cooler with a thermostat, then an oil cooler may actually be harmful. I have an oil cooler for my car and take it off depending on the time of year. I only ever need it for the above mentioned track days when it is hot as fuck. If I leave it on when daily driving the oil never gets above about 140 degrees and that is below where it needs to be.