PDA

View Full Version : What does a roll cage do for handling?

Popeye
08-30-2012, 05:41 PM
In MY mind, it stiffens the frame work of the car. It makes the car stiffer, which helps the suspension.
Someone care to interject EXACTLY what a rollcage does other than keep you safe in an accident, and allows you to mount your fancy seat belts? What does it do for the suspension? What is the difference, as far as the affect on the suspension, between the different "point" rollcages? (e.g. 6-point, 8-point, etc.)

cow
08-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Roll cages get panties moist. Duh.

Blah1219
08-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Roll cages get panties moist. Duh.

I don't think it helps the OP, by letting him know your panties are wet.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 05:46 AM
Or you get my wife who doesn't give 2 shits...

cow
08-31-2012, 05:48 AM
I don't think it helps the OP, by letting him know your panties are wet.

What's your address? I'll send them to you to smell. You'll have to pay shipping, though.

tinman5
08-31-2012, 09:34 AM
A properly braced and gusseted roll cage will help the suspension dynamics a bit. Unfortunately it will also increase the likelyhood of cracking your melon if involved in the wrong type of accident in a street car.

I will probably end up doing to the Civic what I did to my S13. I sourced a whole mess of well thought out chassis cuts from a donor car and welded them onto the stock chassis. All told, I probably cut about 230 pounds from the car and added back another 100 or so. Some thought went into the battery relocation as well. Structural foam in the pillars and unibody did wonders.
I would not run a roll cage in my cars.
I'll take my chances with Gods will.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 10:55 AM
You know, I never thought about hitting your head on one. That's funny!
For me, I'm not sure if the disadvantages would outweigh the advantages.

cow
08-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Ostensibly, one shouldnt use a roll cage in a street car due to aforementioned cracking of skull. The cars with OEM cages (GT3RS, etc) allow for their drivers' not wearing of a helmet.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Are there ways to build a roll cage whre it wont really affect the driver that's not wearing a helmet?

sleepy ep3
08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Or you get my wife who doesn't give 2 shits...

lulz

Popeye
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Her eyes glaze over like mine do when she starts talking about lamps.....
She just wants something with 4 doors and 4 wheels. lol Actually, I've got her wanting a WRX now.

cow
08-31-2012, 11:23 AM
I like lamps. Not even making an Anchorman reference, I just enjoy home crap these days.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
I do, too. But she has WAY too much crap in this house. Now she's wanting a $100 lamp in the house that looks like a street lamp. I'm like "yeah, so you can sell it in a yard sale in 6 months for $10?" FUCK NO!

cow
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Ha! Makes complete sense.

Lucid Moments
08-31-2012, 06:26 PM
A cage is for safety. It may have some handling benefit buy I doubt if the benefit is worth the weight.

Popeye
09-01-2012, 04:55 AM
A cage is for safety. It may have some handling benefit buy I doubt if the benefit is worth the weight.

Fair enough

Hasbro
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Are there ways to build a roll cage whre it wont really affect the driver that's not wearing a helmet?

Yes, there is, in spite of what others may think. I had a custom cage in my mini that I also used for the street. It cost a bit more but the cage was very nicely tucked away from my body. The builder (Kirk) was very pleased with the results and uses the template for all minis.

Unless you're building a full out track car I'm not sure it's worth it, especially if you want to be competetive in autox. Too heavy. My mini was about 1400 lbs. with the cage so the extra protection was very important. And please, weld it in instead of bolting.

Cow, why do you where panties? Is it for comfort or do you just feel sexy?

cow
09-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Cow, why do you where panties? Is it for comfort or do you just feel sexy?

I googled "man in panties" thinking I'd find a sarcastic picture like I normally do. Don't google "man in panties."

:mrolleyes:

Lucid Moments
09-02-2012, 03:58 PM
I googled "man in panties" thinking I'd find a sarcastic picture like I normally do. Don't google "man in panties."

:mrolleyes:

Now just wait until someone checks the history on your computer and finds what you have been looking at.

cow
09-03-2012, 06:55 AM
It's via my phone, & to be fair, I give minimal fucks.

But lol if I were insecure or had a bitchy wife!

Zzyzx
09-04-2012, 01:34 PM
heh, looks like I'm late to the party. But for the most part, on a street car, a Roll cage does two things. #1 makes the car heavier and #2 gives you something to smack your head on...

I'd argue that any amount of improvement seen by stiffening the structure is going to be lost by the increase in weight. Also, smacking your head on the bar in an accident is a minor issue compared to trying to clean or work on the interior of a roll cage equipped car, you'll want a helmet on just to vacuum out the carpets.