PDA

View Full Version : Are our rear rotors vented?

Popeye
08-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Again, pretty self-explanatory. I havent changed out my rotors yet, but thought I saw that they are solid and not vented like the fronts.
Are the vented rotors that much better? Isn't the theory behind vented rotors that they keep your rotors cool when under hard braking? Doesn't it also help keep your rotors from warping too much with multiple heat cycles? I live in the mountains, and love to drive fast sometimes. Not every day, but every now and then. I don't want to warp my brand new oem rotors after a few fun times down the mountain.

whatsvtec
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
buy quality replacements, and follow break in procedures and you should be fine

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

poeticfinesse21
08-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Again, pretty self-explanatory. I havent changed out my rotors yet, but thought I saw that they are solid and not vented like the fronts.
Are the vented rotors that much better? Isn't the theory behind vented rotors that they keep your rotors cool when under hard braking? Doesn't it also help keep your rotors from warping too much with multiple heat cycles? I live in the mountains, and love to drive fast sometimes. Not every day, but every now and then. I don't want to warp my brand new oem rotors after a few fun times down the mountain.

No they are not vented, they are solid. The front brakes do 80% to 90% of the work so we don't really need vented rotors in the back. Even the DC5-R with brembos has the same size caliper and rotors in the back. Focus on your front brakes if you want more responsive braking. Upgrade to a wilwood 4-pot BBK or if you want better performance from the stock brakes, get some stainless steel brake lines, hawk or EBC pads, DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid and cut off your front splash shields so your vented rotors can breathe better :thumbu:

Popeye
08-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Doesnt that allow water to get where it's not supposed to go and rust stuff?

poeticfinesse21
08-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Not any more than what already gets in there. Have you looked at your splash shields? They are too small to really "protect" your brakes from anything but big enough to restrict the air flow to your rotors.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 05:45 AM
When you say "splash shields," are you talking about the dorky mud flaps?

poeticfinesse21
08-31-2012, 08:25 AM
It's that metal thing right behind the front rotors, the black arrow is pointing at it:
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/poeticfinesse21/picture003ar1.jpg

hyu
08-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Can't tell if OP is trolling by half of his posts...

Popeye
08-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Can't tell if you're just trying to start shit.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 10:53 AM
It's that metal thing right behind the front rotors, the black arrow is pointing at it:
http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii524/poeticfinesse21/picture003ar1.jpg

Awesome! Thanks man! For some reason, I was thinking it was the plastic thing under the front bumper. Yeah, I can ask some dumb ass questions. Some things I can do, others I'm clueless on. I think we have found one of them now...

cow
08-31-2012, 11:02 AM

Doesn't seem like it. Besides, it's not worth telling someone to search when that function is basically worthless on this forum.

He does start a lot of threads, though. He's like a less esoteric version of DRP###.

Maybe instead of getting buff, when he eats spinach, it makes him start threads.

Popeye
08-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Nah, I just get the urge to ask things some times. And, like others, I DO use the search button. (Not getting defensive, just saying that I actually do use it. lol) But if you type in "roll cage," or "vented brake rotors," all you're gonna get is people talking about the 5 people on here that have them and how cool their cars are because they have them. With brakes, all it is is lug swap, which pad is better, etc. If there is something I need to know, I'll start a thread. I have probably asked AKEP a thousand questions. I don't want to bug him any more than I have. haha

cow
08-31-2012, 11:22 AM
No need to defend yourself. You're not harming anyone.

:thumbu:

Lucid Moments
08-31-2012, 06:31 PM
As mentioned, front rotors are vented and need to be. Rear rotors are not and do not need to be. I tracke the shit ouy of my car and have never had any problemswith the rear rotors.

Popeye
09-01-2012, 04:55 AM
As mentioned, front rotors are vented and need to be. Rear rotors are not and do not need to be. I tracke the shit ouy of my car and have never had any problemswith the rear rotors.

If that's not enough evidence, then I don't know what is!