PDA

View Full Version : Lowering basics?

eloc49
09-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Hi, I just recently purchased my first car an 03 EP3 :) I'm new to the whole car modifying thing sO beat with me. I know I bought the wrong car to lower but I'm wondering how Har it would be to drop it maybe 1, 2 inches tops. I don't know many terms like camber or anything either so pretend you're talking to a kindergartner :p

Her-Name's-Ally
09-01-2012, 03:41 PM
go to the suspension section and read as much as you can is my advise. Lowering is not a bad thing as long as you do it correctly

poeticfinesse21
09-01-2012, 04:13 PM
You are correct sir, you bought the wrong car to lower. If you go with less than a 1 inch drop then you'll be fine but if you drop it more than 1 inch then I suggest you read this thread:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=565170&highlight=

Her-Name's-Ally
09-01-2012, 04:18 PM
also read the one on spring rates

Blah1219
09-01-2012, 05:17 PM
Dude that's some good info! I never seen that before. Mustclime is never on ephatch anymore. I just gained some bit of knowledge that I really needed at the moment. I don't know what the expensive ball joints not really my style

Her-Name's-Ally
09-01-2012, 05:45 PM
he is always on cep3. all his stickys are freaken informative as fuuug

poeticfinesse21
09-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Dude that's some good info! I never seen that before. Mustclime is never on ephatch anymore. I just gained some bit of knowledge that I really needed at the moment. I don't know what the expensive ball joints not really my style

Megan makes some extended ball joints for around $150 and hardrace for around $160. I plan on getting them eventually even though I'm only lowered about 1". I figure with the taller ball joints, that will put my front LCA at the same angle it's at when the car is at stock height.

Her-Name's-Ally
09-01-2012, 06:27 PM
buddy club =DD niice

Hasbro
09-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Read any suspension thread (actually, anything he says is a step up) by SHG_EasyE for the next level of suspension tuning. He's a real craftsman.

Blah1219
09-02-2012, 06:44 PM
The expensive ball joints seems a waste since I'll be running 225/50/16 (slightly larger than stock) and I'll be dropped lowered enough to sit on them. The reverse tie rods is crucial to correct the steering rack and save your ass on fucking shit up. Why spend 200 on buddy club when I can spend 50 on something that'll be just fine. I think its a waste if you're not truly dumpped.

poeticfinesse21
09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
I have no idea how low you're dropped but if it's more than 1" then the RCA's are definitely not a waste of money. They will do more for correcting your suspension geometry and eliminating bump steer than inverted tie rod ends ever will. Even with a drop as minimal as mine they keep the LCA's from angling upwards and blowing through your suspension travel. There's a reason the DC5 type-r came with RCA's stock from the factory.

RCA = Roll Center Adjusters a.k.a. extended ball joints