PDA

View Full Version : Other honda cars you would recommend/compare against ep3?

HFPcivicSI
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
So many of you guys may know, this is my first honda car I have owned (I am 32 now), and been through everything you can think of from a full size OJ ford bronco, mustang 5.0, porsche 944, chrysler sebring, supercharged scion tc, bmw 318ti, dodge aires K. I have also owned many bikes, 3 being hondas, a yamaha, a kawi, ect.

Anyways... since I love my 2003 ep3 so much, it makes me wonder what have I been missing out on for so long with other honda cars... I remember before I bought my supercharged scion, that I took the RSX-S out for a test drive, but stupid me, since I was still driving my porsche 944 at the time, I remember not taking the RSX-S past 6,000 rpms (and I was wondering why it was a slow car... but after driving it, and reading up on it later - 6,000rpms is where it wakes up).

My friend in highschool had a ZC swapped CRX, but it started life as a HF (the eco-CRX). It never ran right, and it sounded like a horses ass.

My other friend had a prelude (1998 I think?) and I remember thinking that was one of the best cars ever (at the time... remember I was 17/18) He just had an intake on it, and it hung with my tired porsche 944, which was 12 years OLDER than his car.

But - heres what I am getting at. If you could have another honda product (NSX excluded) what would you get or build with a budget of 12k? Or what are your thoughts on the following honda cars? If you think another honda product belongs in here, I def wanna hear opinions about it. When I bought my ep3, I didnt do much research before hand, and was thinking that it would be like the 99-2000 civic SI's (I wanted a high revving 4 cyl, and I thought because the ep3 was newer, it would be better) - it seems like we have some haters saying we have the i-vtec, but I installed kpro this week, and my god its a whole different car.

CRX si - I have always liked the smallness of the CRX, and I would love to find a restored, low mileage one in red.

Preludes - I like the mid 90's preludes (the one with the 4 wheel steering) and also the newer preludes (1997 or 98 to what, 2001?)

Previous civic SI's (like the 99-2000) - I have never drove or rode in one, and I _really_ like this body style. It doesnt matter to me that the interior is so basic/cheap. VERY hard to find a low mileage, stock one. I dont know much about the older civic SI's, and before I bought my ep3, I would of never looked at a "hot hatch" car.

Integra's. Mainly the GSR and type R. I have found several type R's on ebay recently that seem to be mint. There is one with a JRSC on it right now for 11k. I am kind of leary of something thats been _that_ moddified. I sold my scion (supercharged) because the supercharger was SO hard on the motor it blew it up previously. But how do these type R's drive? Would it suck for a daily driver? I would love to find a semi-stock 4 door GSR sedan w/ low miles. They seem to be more rare then the type R's lol.

Any particular Accord's to look into? If I went that route, I'd prefer a v6 I would think?

RSX-S, love the body style on the a-spec. Dont love the price of these cars even used, they still seem to fetch a high price.

Del-sol : I have ALWAYS liked these little cars. I like having the "almost" convertible, seems like if you get the Vtec trim model, you get a potent little 100hp/per liter car. (same as the em1's, but I would imagine this car is faster due to lighter weight?)

s2000 - love the car, but seems like it would be a little on the higher side to get a low mileage/newer ap2. I have not driven this either, and I imagine its a blast to drive. Does it have traction control? I know its not a "winter" car, but you never know when you get caught in a small snow here in PA.

Acura TL-S, my co-worker has one, and its a beast for a heavy sedan. A little to luxury for my taste, and if I got one of these, I wouldnt want to mod it too much.

Just wanted to get some opinions if I were to buy a second honda as another project. I only like low mileage stuff (under 60k) and would prefer mostly stock but lowering springs, wheels, intake and exhaust is acceptable. No tacky interior stuff. I am wanting to get something in the upcoming few months, as my ep3 is getting ready to be turbo'd, then painted. I have ALL of my turbo components with the exception of a dumptube lol.

There is a blue honda prelude on ebay right now that is turbo'd, and low mileage, and its less than 30 minutes from me, but again - I am leary of someone else's mods, and having two aftermarket turbo'd vehicles might not be the smartest choice either.

apexracing
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Preludes are ok, i'm not a big fan of the h-series motors. I've owned, a 86 civic hatch, a 91 civic hatch x2, a 94/5 civic hb, coupe, sedan, A honda fit, 93 accord. a 2008 civic sedan, and my ep3. I currently have the 94 civic coupe, 08 civic sedan, and my ep3. Out of all that i've owned i like the ep3 the best. Its the best mix of modern compact with the hatchbacks of the 90's.

Her-Name's-Ally
09-04-2012, 10:35 PM
had a 91 teg. everything was cheap and to be honest that thing took a beating over the 2 years or so that I owned it and held up ok. Ide say check out the dc2. My cousin boosted one and it was beast

poeticfinesse21
09-05-2012, 12:02 AM
I would love to find a semi-stock 4 door GSR sedan w/ low miles. They seem to be more rare then the type R's lol.

:yes: I used to have a 95 integra LS sedan and I miss it like crazy. DB8 integra's are probably my favorite hondas aside from EP3's and the NSX. I've always wanted a 4 door GSR, it's a shame we didn't get the 4 door type-r here :mfrown:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/IntegraVSR/My%20DB8/4dr.jpg

Her-Name's-Ally
09-05-2012, 07:53 AM
those are siiick

Nickle n Dimin
09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
88-91 hatch

cow
09-05-2012, 10:36 AM
AWD Civic Wagon or AP2 S2000 are by far the most interesting Hondas available here. ITR's are neat for what they were (are?), but I wouldn't want to sleep with a gun at my side in case Johnny Tran, et al decided to jack my car at night.

tinman5
09-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I personally have been eyeballing a TSX-S and an Element. But then I am looking for something a bit more spacious, and would not be surprised if the Element won out. Maybe fit it with a simple T25/28 turbo system on some 8-10 psi. Upgrade the torque converter and maybe add a couple of fluid coolers. We go on several road trips a year usually a lot of VW car shows and just random weekend outings to daytrips. As nice as my GTI is for such things, we just need a bit more room, little boy is getting bigger and all.

Didnt mean to stray too far. I unfortunately will probably never own a pre 2000 model year Honda simply because of theft. I love the second and third gen Integras tho. The mid 90's Accord also has a warm place in my heart.

Hasbro
09-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Loved my 04 CR-V.

rhdsirek4
09-16-2012, 12:24 PM
My ek handles a lot better than my ep3... Once I get all my suspension set up done. I'm sure my ep will take it out.

apexracing
09-16-2012, 07:07 PM
My ek handles a lot better than my ep3... Once I get all my suspension set up don't. I'm sure my ef will take it out.

What setup is on your ep3? Its a common known issue that aftermarket suspensions are not geared toward the ep3 chassis. Getting coil-overs made for the rsx-s will get you the correct spring rates. That with some oem dc5 chassis bracing and you will be well on your way.

HFPcivicSI
09-20-2012, 08:57 AM
There is a 17k mile prelude on ebay for 12,995.. Tried to get the guy down to 11k but he wont budge. :( I would of bought it. I dont know why the h22 motors never really caught on, from what I remember back in high school riding in my friends brand new prelude, that thing had plenty of power.

Silva
09-20-2012, 08:43 PM
I had a '99 civic LX before my EP3 and theft and vandalism was a MAJOR issue. I had countless amounts of key marks and dents and dings for morons in parking lots and stupid kids vandalizing my car. Once I had parked my car out side of my work off to the side of the building infront of where a security camera was and someone had opened the doors with a crowbar and destroyed my paint and didn't even steal the car or take anything T.T
Moral of the story any civics PRE-2000 get vandalized and it's to small to claim insurance for :mcry:

widebodyeg
09-21-2012, 09:28 PM
i have a h22 crx, one of the fastest hondas i have ever owned, takes out turbo cars, s2k's, civic si's...the list goes on, i think the h22 is by far one of the best honda motors if built right

soquel1
09-21-2012, 10:17 PM
There is a 17k mile prelude on ebay for 12,995.. Tried to get the guy down to 11k but he wont budge. :( I would of bought it. I dont know why the h22 motors never really caught on, from what I remember back in high school riding in my friends brand new prelude, that thing had plenty of power.

I guess it's geography. I remember lots of guys were going h22 around where I live. This was in the early 2000's. It was THE motor to put in your car at the time.

apexracing
09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
H22's are not boost friendly without a standalone ecu.

soquel1
09-23-2012, 10:49 AM
I did not know that. I've heard things too : /

el_puncho
10-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I guess it's geography. I remember lots of guys were going h22 around where I live. This was in the early 2000's. It was THE motor to put in your car at the time.

Us Cali folks experience things a whole lot differently. I second the H22 frequency. Mainly becuase my first car was a CB7 1993 Accord and I wanted to do a H22 swap on it as well...

EUB44
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I would say Rx-8 Grand Touring. Not an easy car to maintenance if you have no idea about rotary engines. Driven both base model and grand touring, base model is trash but Grand touring beasts. I would recommend if you know rotary.

soquel1
10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I thought it was Honda cars...

el_puncho
10-08-2012, 11:39 PM
and FWD is not comparable to RWD...

EUB44
10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I thought it was Honda cars...

my bad. Missed that part.

and FWD is not comparable to RWD...

I really wonder why you said that

beechstreet
10-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Besides my EP3, I've had an 86 CRX HF, 87 Civic DX hatchback, and still have a 90 Civic base hatchback. The EP trumps them all in the fun department. It was pretty awesome getting 45+ mpg in the CRX, but I could never get it running right. The 87 had a sweet audio setup from the previous owner, but it had a nasty oil leak (1-2 quarts a day) and whenever it rained the carpets would flood. My 90 is fun to toss around. I've done some basic stuff to it like swap to DC2 rear disc brakes, Function7 LCAs, BLOX UCAs, and a short shifter. Also replaced a bunch of bushings. Gets decent gas mileage, but it has NO POWER. The D15B1 has something like 60hp. I feel like I'm going to die in it when getting on the freeway. I think it'd be a lot more fun with a B or K motor in it. I really wanted a 88-91 Wagovan with either a D16A6 or B motor. Something about them tickles my fancy. I'm always on the hunt for them on craigslist, but people are always asking $3000-$4000 for one in OK condition. Ridiculous! I paid $1000 for my 90 ED6 with a brand new clutch/flywheel, radiator, and motor mounts! I'd also love to get my hands on a clean 86-87 Si hatch.

L0ki
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
i'd recommend a crx. had a 89 crx si before i had an ep3 and loved it. unfortunately it got stolen while i was working :mcry:

lemonhead228
10-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I use to have a 93 ex coupe wit a b16 swap and it was a good daily. But when I got the ep it was a different story. Might sound kinda crazy but I actually have feelings for my ep. Like I'm never gonna sell it and keep it and might pass it on to my kids kinda feeling and I'm only 21 Hahaha

But if I had to decide to I would get a 06-08 tsx 6sp

HFPcivicSI
10-09-2012, 01:44 PM
i'd recommend a crx. had a 89 crx si before i had an ep3 and loved it. unfortunately it got stolen while i was working :mcry:

Well.. pimpin aint easy pahtnah :)

Hasbro
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
I'll bet you've never seen or heard of this;
I had a 78 Accord hatch stripped to 1600 lbs, autocross tires (small and wide sticking out past the fender, a "blueprinted" CVCC (yes, you read that correctly) and rounded out the back like a 928, flares, etc. This was before most of you were born, probably. It was street legal, and, while I had a Europa at the same time, I drove the Honda way more as it was every bit as fun to drive.

The guy that tuned the motor was a seven time world champ drag racer. When he was taking way to long to hand it over, he confessed that it was so much fun to drive he was taking it home every night " to tweak the Webers". I would kill to have it back. You could say I was "Honda when Honda wasn't cool". I also had a 76 Civic bought new, lol.

edit; this is the car that showed me that lowering with a smaller radius tire and a wider track, to a point, outweighs a slightly poorer scrub radius.

beechstreet
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
I'll bet you've never seen or heard of this;
I had a 78 Accord hatch stripped to 1600 lbs, autocross tires (small and wide sticking out past the fender, a "blueprinted" CVCC (yes, you read that correctly) and rounded out the back like a 928, flares, etc.
what happened to it?

Hasbro
10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
what happened to it?

Driving in Scottsdale, a guy chased me down and offered me a silly price for it right there. He gave me a cash deposit and had to leave to fly back to Washington. Flew back down and drove it home. It was gone in two days. I should have kept it but money talks when you need it.

soquel1
10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Lol wow !!!

el_puncho
10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
my bad. Missed that part.

I really wonder why you said that

I like to state the obvious?

EUB44
10-10-2012, 03:59 PM
^^ There are fwd and rwd cars in same segments. You cant just say that are not comparable. If they are in same segment, sure they are comparable.

soquel1
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I would have to say that I am liking my 99 civic hatchback DX and would definitely recommend it. Just can't beat the gas mileage.