PDA

View Full Version : Megan test pipe fitment problems

nightrider2002
09-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Has anyone had problems recently with fitment on the Megan test pipes? I am trying to use the stock spring bolts, but there is a round part on the bolt just past where the spring sits that does not pass through the two bolt holes on the collector flange. The opening for the bolt holes is too small, and they are also oval shaped. From looking at other pictures it appears that the bolts holes on the flange should be round like OEM, not oval. This is making it impossible to install the part with the stock spring bolts. Megan told me the stock ones should work. Any input is appreciated.

tinman5
09-12-2012, 07:31 AM
You have options here. I remember reading an old issue of Sport Compact Car a few years ago using the downpipe and encountering this issue as well as the O2 sensor bung being clocked wrong.
First, you can simply wallow out the holes with a rotary file or the proper sized drill bit. The second problem you will encounter will be the springs on the bolts. The flanges on the Megan pipe are much thicker than stock. This means the spring will be fully compressed and not really serving its intended purpose. You can either source longer bolts or cut, I believe it was a full coil and a half from the spring and flattening the cut end with a file for proper seating.

nightrider2002
09-14-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your response tinman5. I wasn't sure if this was an isolated incident. Currently in the process of returning the test pipe for a refund. The collector on the flange that connects to the header also seems too small and shallow to seal properly. May try out the T1R test pipe instead, since I am hoping that the fitment is better.