PDA

View Full Version : Re-Wiring Side Markers to Come on w/Headlights

Slainte
01-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Anyone done this? i'd like to get white bulbs for the side markers and have them come on when i put the parking lights or head lights on. know what i mean? if i could get instructions, i would take some pics and post them for a DIY, but i just don't know what to do with the wires. thanks for your help.

my02si
01-09-2003, 12:17 PM
I am not sure how to do this either, but I am sure it is pretty easy... I would like to do this as well...

Josh

cadoodoo
01-09-2003, 12:56 PM
Thats a good question, i was wondering the same thing, but im scared to get into and try it and F**k up my brand new si. if anyone has any ideas, i'd like to do it too! thanks:D

BarracksSi
01-09-2003, 04:32 PM
You're talking about the markers on the front fenders, between the wheel well & the door?

Personally, I wouldn't change their function, since they're extra blinkers for the turn signals. If I try changing lanes without seeing a car in my blind spot, it would be better for them to easily see my signal and either scoot out of the way or honk at my stupid ass.

02SilverSiHB
01-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
You're talking about the markers on the front fenders, between the wheel well & the door?

Personally, I wouldn't change their function, since they're extra blinkers for the turn signals. If I try changing lanes without seeing a car in my blind spot, it would be better for them to easily see my signal and either scoot out of the way or honk at my stupid ass.
so true

sniperSI
01-09-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree with leaving it as a blinker, besides, IMO.

Let it be functional.

taikahn
01-09-2003, 06:44 PM
I havent even bothered to look on the outside of my EP yet with the engine and lights on --- but on my old DX the blinkers I installed had two modes --- one low level on state when the headlights were on --- and one brighter blinking state when the blinker was on... all I did was wire them to the blinker lead.

looked sweet and remained functional ...

Slainte
01-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi

sorry, i meant to keep them as blinkers when i use my turn signals, but when the signals are off and the lights are on, then they stay on, functioning as a light and a signal. my friend's 99EX has his (aftermarket, of course) sidemarkers wired in a similar fashion. that's where i got the idea.

i-WERKS
01-10-2003, 12:35 PM
I think you'd have to worry about them melting as well. My buddy did this to his car and the side marker housing melted.

DownTheHatch
01-10-2003, 04:22 PM
It's super easy, just take your side marker out, and reverse the white and black wire white>black black>white

This make the sidemarker come on with the headlights and when you signal it blinks the indicator off and back on again.

i-WERKS is absoultely right, the housing will melt, this is why you will need to buy some LED wedge bulbs, you can get them on ebay or autodynamic.com. The LED bulbs run with almost no heat but are super bright.

Slainte
01-13-2003, 11:49 AM
cool, thanks, i'll try this and post pics when i do.

my02si
01-13-2003, 12:30 PM
Are you talking about these??

Click Here (http://209.87.151.155/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=194&txtsearchParamCat=10&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=2&subcat=458)
Thanks

Slainte
01-14-2003, 09:07 AM
sweet, thanks a lot. i'm assuming those are the bulbs that fit the sidemarkers? i'm gonna check just to make sure, but i'm ordering them...

my02si
01-14-2003, 09:19 AM
I bought some from autozone that look just like those so I am pretty sure those are them.. Let me know how it works I want to do the same..

BarracksSi
01-14-2003, 08:17 PM
I didn't know about the dim/blink function. That would work, and sounds interesting.

Let us know whether you get the single LED or the 4 LED light, and how well it works & looks. Pics, too, would be neat.

taikahn
01-14-2003, 08:44 PM
all you have to do is buy dual filiment bulbs that fit your side markers --- and wire it to the "running" lights -- like the city lights or the reflector lights.

Tekdemon
01-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Slainte

sorry, i meant to keep them as blinkers when i use my turn signals, but when the signals are off and the lights are on, then they stay on, functioning as a light and a signal. my friend's 99EX has his (aftermarket, of course) sidemarkers wired in a similar fashion. that's where i got the idea.
Please just keep them as blinkers...blinking cools off the bulb kind of like how an LED is really blinking on and off SUPER fast(the LED looks like it's steady but if it really was it would blow up). Well, much slower obviously but the same concept.

Plus, having side blinkers is actually quite handy when you have to switch lanes and there's a car in the lane you wanna go into, and you drop gears to accelerate past them to swap lanes so you can go where you were trying to go, and they can see your side blinkers before seeing your end blinkers. =) I also hate those "super bright super fast" side blinkers...making other people have seizures is not sporty in any logical way. Maybe I should rig a super fast hi beam blink mode just to blink at people with the stupid super fast turn signals and see how they like it.

my02si
01-16-2003, 12:14 PM
lol I have to agree on the fast blinkers :( As for the other idea it is to keep them, on while driving and when you turn the blink as well.