PDA

View Full Version : Issue with my JRSC.

willy_akino
09-15-2012, 03:28 PM
So I've had my jrsc for awhile now and a few month back my car started throwing CEL every time i hit boost. The CEL is throwing that cylinder #2 is misfiring and my car is running to rich. I checked all my spark plugs and switch them around , nothing its still throwing CEL. i also did a compression test and all the cylinder were fine. the last thing im thinking about checking out is the injectors. maybe i should switch them around?

Also my idle is never smooth, my idle on a cold start is 1,800 rpm then drops to regular idle, but when i start to slow down and shift my gears into neutral my idle hits around 1,800 rpm and goes back down to regular idle when i make a complete stop. and sometimes when i'm at a stop light my idle would shoot up to 1,300-1,500 rpm then go back down to regular idle.

I tried looking for leaks around my engine using the carb cleaner method but nothing all my bolts are tight and everything seems secure. Anyone have any input into what is going on with my car?

heres my mods

jrsc 3.8
dcrh
magnaflow exhaust
cai
esmm

rd02SiR
09-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Try cleaning your IACV, that might be the culprit for the idle issue.

For the misfire, try switching a coil pack. What are you tuned on? I'm guessing the powercard since you didnt mention kpro?

superchargedk20
09-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Try cleaning your IACV, that might be the culprit for the idle issue.

For the misfire, try switching a coil pack. What are you tuned on? I'm guessing the powercard since you didnt mention kpro?

He posted he's running the 3.8 pulley in his original post. No way he's running the power card or that engine would go kaboom

willy_akino
09-16-2012, 03:29 AM
sry yeah im running kpro. i switches my coilpacks already and it still doing the same. whats is funny is that the misfire sounds really small, like small popping sound but no banging noise. i remember i clean the IAVC before i installed the jrsc which was over a year ago but ill double check.

willy_akino
09-16-2012, 04:29 PM
so while i was working on my throttle body i found these two unplugged. were these suppose to be plugged in? https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561755_4658682271323_42979898_n.jpg

MR.Pizza
09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
so while i was working on my throttle body i found these two unplugged. were these suppose to be plugged in? https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/561755_4658682271323_42979898_n.jpg

Pretty sure they are the coolant ports for the throttle body, I wouldn't bypass those however someone else may have more to say on that point. If your plugs aren't fouled and your coil packs check out perhaps check your injector is seated/o-rings properly. Assuming your using 440cc check your connector clips any wire connections to the clips. Good luck, let us know.

willy_akino
09-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Pretty sure they are the coolant ports for the throttle body, I wouldn't bypass those however someone else may have more to say on that point. If your plugs aren't fouled and your coil packs check out perhaps check your injector is seated/o-rings properly. Assuming your using 440cc check your connector clips any wire connections to the clips. Good luck, let us know.

so here is a update. i decided to check out the IACV and took off the throttle body. decided to clean it and notice one of the screws were kinda loose on the IACV so i tighten it. then when i installed the throttle body back my idle was going crazy bouncing back and forth from 1,200-2,100 rpm. it never did that before until i took off the throttle body and clean it up( the sensors were good, i didnt get anything in it while i was cleaning it). i even posted a video on the facebook page of ephatch and everyone is telling me to replace the IAVC and or the MAP sensor.

rd02SiR
09-17-2012, 08:22 AM
try doing an idle relearn after the IACV cleaning. Did you reuse the paper gasket? Maybe it's a bit torn? Do a vacuume leak test again, focusing on the TB gasket area.

I'm pretty sure cyl #2 runs the hottest, IIRC. You can go into kpro and ttry adding 3% fuel to that one cylinder.

differentK
09-17-2012, 08:30 AM
you can diagnose your idle issue by turning off the idle assist valve sensor in kpro... its under the idle tab. those 2 ports under the TB are coolant ports for assisting in cold start up- essentially what your IACV is there for. you might just need to try an idle re-learn after cleaning.

your misfire can be a couple of things- the plugs may be going bad as well as a coil pack or injector. are you using the RC440s? are you using adapter clips (plug n play) or did you splice/ solder them into your harness?

willy_akino
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
you can diagnose your idle issue by turning off the idle assist valve sensor in kpro... its under the idle tab. those 2 ports under the TB are coolant ports for assisting in cold start up- essentially what your IACV is there for. you might just need to try an idle re-learn after cleaning.

your misfire can be a couple of things- the plugs may be going bad as well as a coil pack or injector. are you using the RC440s? are you using adapter clips (plug n play) or did you splice/ solder them into your harness?

good question!! i'm using precious 750cc i got it with the jrsc, and i splice/solder the injector clips. do u think that could be the problem?

differentK
09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
if you soldered them in then probably not. does it misfire all the time or randomly? how do you know it is running rich? have you datalogged it with kpro?

try moving your coil packs around- see if the misfire changes cylinders. check your plugs again- if your running as rich as you think- one of your plugs should be pretty black with caked fuel. are you running colder plugs or stock? i would also check your primary O2 sensor- if it is really dirty i would go as far as to replace it- especially if it is also pretty old. you should also speak with your tuner- they might be able to take a look at your datalogg and tell you exactly where your going bad.

misfires suck- i just got finished troubleshooting one on mine as well- turned out to be 2 defective plug n play clips.

willy_akino
09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
if you soldered them in then probably not. does it misfire all the time or randomly? how do you know it is running rich? have you datalogged it with kpro?

try moving your coil packs around- see if the misfire changes cylinders. check your plugs again- if your running as rich as you think- one of your plugs should be pretty black with caked fuel. are you running colder plugs or stock? i would also check your primary O2 sensor- if it is really dirty i would go as far as to replace it- especially if it is also pretty old. you should also speak with your tuner- they might be able to take a look at your datalogg and tell you exactly where your going bad.

misfires suck- i just got finished troubleshooting one on mine as well- turned out to be 2 defective plug n play clips.

alright so i switched up all the coilpacks and spark plugs and it is still saying misfire on cylinder #2, i remember a CEL pop up saying i was running too rich, i havent checked the o2 sensor yet but i replace it about a year ago. i will also get my car retuned once i weld a stock muffler on. Ill ask my tuner some question.

thank alot man for all your help

1GR8EP3
09-18-2012, 09:01 AM
HOLA,

check your injector clips and all the wires running to your injectors just to make sure none of the clips, or wires are loose to the injector. If everything is good and snug try swapping in another set of injetors to see if it might be your current injectors going bad.

My buddy just went through this prob as well and he found out it was a loose fitting in the injector clip.

willy_akino
09-18-2012, 10:41 PM
HOLA,

check your injector clips and all the wires running to your injectors just to make sure none of the clips, or wires are loose to the injector. If everything is good and snug try swapping in another set of injetors to see if it might be your current injectors going bad.

My buddy just went through this prob as well and he found out it was a loose fitting in the injector clip.

i just replaced all my O-rings on my injectors and everything is snug and good.

willy_akino
09-18-2012, 10:42 PM
*UPDATE* so i took off the throttle body off again and removed the IACV, clean it up with carb cleaner and resealed it. Also put in a new throttle body gasket and my revs are still bouncing. I guess i have to get a new IACV =[. does anyone know where i can find one with a good deal? brand new IVAC will cost me around 200$ from honda >.< anyone have a used one they dont need?

1GR8EP3
09-19-2012, 02:03 AM
i just replaced all my O-rings on my injectors and everything is snug and good.

I was talking about the injector clips and wires... try a local salvage yard, atarco motors, or online for decent priced IVAC. Hope everything works out for you

differentK
09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
go into KPRO and disable your IACV- see if that helps before spending the cash on a new IACV. if you are running rich- then it is most likely not an injector issue but a spark issue. i would replace the plugs with NGK or DENSO with a cold rating of 8- try moving the coil packs around as well. if you want to check your injectors to be sure-

an easy way to test your injectors is to press down a little bit on the injector clip while the engine is running- you should be able to feel the clicks of the injector working.

willy_akino
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
go into KPRO and disable your IACV- see if that helps before spending the cash on a new IACV. if you are running rich- then it is most likely not an injector issue but a spark issue. i would replace the plugs with NGK or DENSO with a cold rating of 8- try moving the coil packs around as well. if you want to check your injectors to be sure-

an easy way to test your injectors is to press down a little bit on the injector clip while the engine is running- you should be able to feel the clicks of the injector working.

My injector clips and wires are fine, nothing loose. Also i just changed my spark plugs with IK22 and i switched the plugs around. ill try to disable the IACV with kpro

differentK
09-20-2012, 06:56 PM
what cold rating is the IK22? if your plugs are new and your injectors are good it might be your tune. i would also test your battery just to be sure- ive seen a bad battery mess with the ECU and cause headaches like misfires. at this point- if you have checked injectors, changed plugs, checked coils, checked 02 sensor, and inspected your harness for cuts/ damage... i would say its more than likely your tune- a datalogg sent to your tuner capturing the misfire would probably be your best next step.

JetsPandaEP3
09-20-2012, 10:45 PM
QQQQQQQ how you doin man? long time no hear. how is the army treatin you out there. hope your safe. hit me up

sippyyy
09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
sorry to potentially thread jack, but mine has the exact same idle issues. bouncing idle and hanging up around 1800-2000 when slowing down. these issues only started when I changed pulley, injectors, plugs and tune. the hanging idle I can understand due to larger injectors but I'm pretty sure the bouncing idle is a tune problem since it's just a base tune for my mods. like I said, the idle was perfectly fine prior to switching those things so I would assume TB, IACV, etc are fine.

BlownSi05
10-02-2012, 05:44 AM
If the idle is bouncing up and down you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Check everything as stated above around the TB. Also, make sure to check the o-ring seals on the injectors. I always had a hard fight with the injectors seating properly into the intake manifold. The o-rings do wear out as well and require replacement. If you replace them, make sure that you get the ones that are rated for high temps. Ensure also that the injectors are not worn out. If you have been running the 3.8" pulley for a long time and tuned with K-Pro, that means your injectors have been running at at least 85-95% duty cycle. Anything above 80% is going to put faster wear and tear on the injectors.

SiDaddyO
06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
I've had roughly the same problems and cleaned my IACV lately...

the vacuum leak is most likely contributed to a few different things with your IACV housing...

1. replace IACV gasket and O-ring that fits between the housing and IACV motor housing.

2. you probably have some corrosion on the housing and throttle body housing surfaces, use some wd40 and some fine 400+ grit sand paper and smooth the contact surfaces until it's nice and smooth again.

that should fix your vacuum leak.

as for the misfire... how long have you had the kpro tune?... if it's been awhile try uploading the same KAL over again...If I remember right temperature compensation in the kpros are really touchy and can throw your tune off over time........ don't quote me on that it's been awhile since I've played with my ep3. I'm in the middle of getting mine ready to sell and need to fix the same issues. (and all I have these days is a mac, So I haven't got to get into my kpro for awhile)

finally........do the idle relearn procedure.

team ERA 5
06-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Willie I have a fairly new IAVC that I bought as a spare a year ago. It's been siting in my tool box in a sealed box. Let me know. Throw me an offer. 619-962-8055