PDA

View Full Version : cat converter help

sacjumpman23
09-18-2012, 09:47 PM
cars been throwing code for cat for a while now. replaced secondary a while back because people said that might be the cause as well. No luck code hasnt gone away. I'm in cali so im wondering if i get a used OEM cat from another state will this affect my smog? I know cali is more strict but shouldnt any perfect working condition ep3 oem cat from say texas work on my car and pass smog? Thanks.

1st
09-20-2012, 08:39 AM
if you are throwing p0420 cel that is a cat code o2 sensors will not fix this problem. o2 sensors have their own codes for bank 1 and 2. Yes it is a good idea to replace o2 sensors when replacing a cat. In the state of California it is illegal to sell a used cat but people do it all the time kind of like drinking and driving. If you obtain a used oem cat from another state meant for our cars that is fine. But if you obtain a 49 state legal cat from like flow master or a high flow cat this will not work depending on the shop you go to. Meaning that if the shop doesn’t care they will install. But if you go to a main franchise shop they will not because they will verify that it’s a legal cat and meant for your car and or too much of a liability.

sacjumpman23
09-20-2012, 11:54 AM
yes in talking about oem cats that came with the ep3 but people took off and dont need anymore. I will be installing it myself as well. Thanks for the info!

beefed88
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Look at the defouler fix.

wcmbrk
09-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey Bro...I Live in SAC too and I smogged just fine in Natomas with a Florida cat i bought on the classifieds here....hope that helps...barely passed....but passed (didn't change oil...plugs....etc)