PDA

View Full Version : 02 SiR is vtec working ?

bboynumero3
09-22-2012, 06:46 AM
I have an 02 SiR, K20A3. I know how the iVTEC works in these, I was wondering if there is any way to check if it's switching over ? The reason I ask, is because a friend of mine has an 07 focus se, with a cold air intake and exhaust, and he takes me on the straight every time. Rolling, from a stand still, doesn't matter. And I was thinking, if I was only running on 1.5 intake valves, that might do it, because my car is lighter, smaller, more power, and lower geared tranny. Thanks in advance

Blah1219
09-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Dude my vtec in my k20a3 kickin' in hard, yo! She actaully smashs

rhdsirek4
09-23-2012, 08:19 PM
maybe the focus has more torque than yours? that can also be a big issue.

poeticfinesse21
09-23-2012, 09:27 PM
You do know that our cars don't have "real" i-vtec? We have the "other" i-vtec, in other words our motors are not tuned for performance, they are tuned for balanced fuel economy and power....and a focus is actually 200 to 300 lbs lighter than an EP3 so that might be why he always takes you. That plus his cold air intake and exhaust means his motor is breathing a lot better than yours if your car is stock.

bboynumero3
09-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Yes, I do know how the I vtec works in ours. Thats what I'm saying, if it's only having one intake valve all the way open, and the second one not opening completely because vtev isn't switching, that could be the issue

Her-Name's-Ally
09-24-2012, 05:43 AM
just swap and you wont have to worry about it

EUB44
09-26-2012, 10:46 AM
When I turn the ac on and accelerate in high gear you can feel something little that hits at around 2k rpm :). Sorry but that how stock ones work.

gribly
09-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Something else might be up... I have just the Hondata airbox mod and I went the extra mile with it and dremeled the fins all smooth as my only mod, and my car can hang with an SVT Focus hatch - I have better gearing.

bboynumero3
09-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I plan on swapping to an A2 in the future, but for right now I don't have the money. And his is an se sedan, so around the same weight. About the same torque, and less power, so something isn't right I think. I have an K&N short ram, so at the very least we should be about the same, I shouldn't be slower

bboynumero3
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
also, does anybody know how to see if the vtc is working ? Because if I'm stuck at 0%, that might also be it. But would that set off a CEL ? Because I don't have one on right now

EUB44
10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMoA4BQOaMA

Your`s is working just like others dont worry man.

bboynumero3
10-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I took if from 1800 to 3000 multiple times in fifth gear, I never heard anything on or around 2200. Not even the slightest change. Can nobody tell me how to check if the vtec and vtc is working ?

HFPcivicSI
10-07-2012, 01:07 PM
I took if from 1800 to 3000 multiple times in fifth gear, I never heard anything on or around 2200. Not even the slightest change. Can nobody tell me how to check if the vtec and vtc is working ?

First, its not an audible change over.

Second, regardless of your setup I encourage you to buy a kpro ECU. Your going to need this anyways if you ever do a swap to another motor, but honestly it wakes your stock motor by 6-10% with supporting mods on a stock motor, and its noticeable. Note: Tune is EVERYTHING. You can load the pre-provided maps, but you should have someone who knows what they are doing either street tune you, or take it to a reputable shop, or pay someone to do it online like I did (cost me a donation of $40, the guy really did it for free). It will make a HUGE difference in driving. Not like a "did this do anything, I think my car is faster" noticeable, but a "damn - why did the car not come like this from the get-go" noticeable. You will be able to change your RPMs (Honestly, I am no expert, but our car needs more RPMs if your going for performance for a few reasons - such as you can rev out higher, so when you switch gears to the next gear, your higher in the RPM band, meaning its easier for the motor to rev through the following gear and so on).

Anyways, after putting my kpro in, I was actually (pleasantly) surprised with the stock a3 motor. Now, I am going to turbo my stock motor (I have all the components and just need to get time to take it to innovative motor works) but I can say the car is a million times more fun to drive with kpro, intake, and exhaust than with nothing done to it.

bboynumero3
10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
I realize the advantages of kpro. I'm not asking for tips on making better power, i'm asking someone to help me figure out why its not working the way its supposed to. Our cars are supposed to be able to run with an svt focus, and i cant keep up with an se.

HFPcivicSI
10-07-2012, 02:16 PM
I realize the advantages of kpro. I'm not asking for tips on making better power, i'm asking someone to help me figure out why its not working the way its supposed to. Our cars are supposed to be able to run with an svt focus, and i cant keep up with an se.

Well, since you know the advantages of kpro - you would know that you can disable those features in kmanager, and run your car - and you would be able to tell if they are working correctly or not by feeling if it runs identical, or slower. If it runs slower, and makes less power with those variables checked off, then you would know yours works. If it runs identical, then you have an issue.

Maybe someone can let you borrow their kpro that you know? It takes 5 seconds to put it in.

You may want to replace your spark plugs and a compression check too. Your fuel pump could be clogged enough to not get all the fuel, or your injectors could be gummed up.

Does your car run right? I mean, does it surge or buck? Do you know anyone else with a civic SI that you could ride in and really compare it to? I highly doubt your ivtec is messed up.

Her-Name's-Ally
10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Short team is the problem..youre probably losing power due to heat soak

bboynumero3
10-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Well, since you know the advantages of kpro - you would know that you can disable those features in kmanager, and run your car - and you would be able to tell if they are working correctly or not by feeling if it runs identical, or slower. If it runs slower, and makes less power with those variables checked off, then you would know yours works. If it runs identical, then you have an issue.

Maybe someone can let you borrow their kpro that you know? It takes 5 seconds to put it in.

You may want to replace your spark plugs and a compression check too. Your fuel pump could be clogged enough to not get all the fuel, or your injectors could be gummed up.

Does your car run right? I mean, does it surge or buck? Do you know anyone else with a civic SI that you could ride in and really compare it to? I highly doubt your ivtec is messed up.

I don't know anyone with the same car, I've only ever seen 5 other ones in my life I think. They aren't very common in canada. I also don't know anyone with kpro.

I plan on doing a full fuel and intake system clean that I know to work, and replacing the spark plus. I'll check the compression at the time.

It does surge occasionally, but it feels just like a vacuum leak, which I'm sure is caused by the way the guy before me did the intake. He replaced the air box with a filter, so there is no spot for the pcv hose, and he just put a small filter on the port on the valve cover. So I THINK thats my vacuum leak

HFPcivicSI
10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
OK well I would report back after trying those few things. Its just I have not heard of anyones vtec system failing personally (does not mean that it cant happen). If anyone has heard of failure, I am sure they would post here or point you to the thread where it did. It just seems so unlikely. And you certainly should not be losing to a 130hp focus SE, your right on that.

Draw7Seven
10-08-2012, 01:59 PM
You should fix that intake setup as soon as possible; Doug did a post years ago about why it's stupid for people to put the tiny little filter on the valve cover. I'm not going to dig it up but I'd strongly suggest you correct that. You'd be throwing at least one CEL code if anything with your ivtec were malfunctioning so let that go. You're losing because your car is not running at peak condition. It's getting old and the truth can be hard to swallow sometimes. Some tuning or especially an engine swap would do wonders but half-measures like opening up the A3 just to chase down an ivtec problem that isn't even throwing a CEL is a wild goose chase whose benefits will never rival its costs.

gribly
10-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Bone stock an SVT is a little quicker, but with the airbox mod it's a lot closer - until there is a corner, then just forget trying to keep up.

gribly
10-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Okay, I shoulda looked at the second page. Buy a cold air or short ram intake, and install it properly, PCV and all. I'm pretty sure you'll be amazed at the difference. My friend with the SVT got t-boned and he was given a 4-door SE to drive, and it is laughably slow. Even his girlfriend was bitching at him for driving slow, and he had to prove it that he floored it.

mitchlikesbikes
10-08-2012, 10:53 PM
airbox mod has been proven by evan to not add power unless tuned..