PDA

View Full Version : 2nd to 3rd grind

Ksiadz
01-09-2003, 10:22 PM
This only happends when I am at the top of the RPM and when I try to make a very quick shift.)Almost like a power shift) I throw my cluth hard to the floor get on my shifter to go from 2 to 3 ( grind). Now if I wait just a split second between gears no grind smooth shift and off I go. What's going on? Should I take some action and get my butt to the dealer. Or this is the way are EP has to be driven, that split second wait between the gears. It looks to me that if I go to the track driving like that I don't think I am gone brake in to the 15's for sure!
Car has 5000 miles Greddy catback, Injenintake, Neuspeed short shift! Please help!!!

P.s.
This is my first Honda, my first stick shift trans car, but driven stick shift before!:( :'(

Suk02Si
01-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Actually, the same for me. Only when I try a quick shift, like when I race, I hear the slight crunch. I hear it from 1 to 2, and only sometimes from 3 to 4.

rick77f
01-10-2003, 12:03 AM
1st to 2nd is quiet but 2nd to 3rd is a loud crunch at anything over 5k rpms.

02SilverSiHB
01-10-2003, 05:43 AM
damn, sorry to hear about all your grinding problems. I don't have any and I have 13k miles right now

mental
01-12-2003, 06:40 PM
sorry to tell ya people but its all in your head!!! youjust have to learn to put the clutch in sooner....its a hydraulic clutch and the new shifter makes it so easy to shift that you are actually shifting with the clutch only partially engaged. when i first experienced this problem ihad the same concern as many of you but its no problem just learn to shift different. remember this is in no way a normal shifter! the grinding is not good though so dont just keep shifting this way learn to shift differently... thats it... have fun...

rick77f
01-13-2003, 12:51 AM
I push the clutch to the floor, wait a moment and shift smoothly to 3rd. I am greeted with a fat cruuuunch every time no matter what. I appreciate the input Mental, but there is definately a problem with mine.

sancho61
01-17-2003, 09:53 AM
I have the same problem it started at about 4500 miles. Shifting from 1st to second and from second to third it gets even worst. It grinds pretty bad unless I very slow shift or very low RPMs. Has anyone taken the car to the dealer?

Tekdemon
01-17-2003, 04:16 PM
I get the crunch too now, and yes I'm clutching in all the way. However, I seem to remember when I first got the car there wasn't this problem but now after 600 miles it's crunching...

However, I wouldn't be worried =) since this might just be because I've been getting better and faster at shifting lol...and causing the synchro gears to grind.

Optimally you don't want the synchro gears to grind since it does make them wear. To make the grind go away you need to learn to double clutch! Yes double clutching is unneccessary, but it would make the grinding go away.

Haven't you guys ever have the grind NOT show up? This will happen if you match the revs correctly by accident and do the shift. So if you wanna try and attempt double clutching just shift into neutral, let go of the clutch, rev to the right rpm, slam clutch and shift and it should be smooth...of course you have to do all this REALLY fast so your shift doesn't take 30 seconds.

Of course you can just stop shifting at 6000RPM and move the RPMs to the right place and do a normal shift. This should make the grinding go away too.

Either way I wouldn't sweat it...even with the grinding the synchro gears are just doing their job. You can make the synchro gears last longer by learning to shift right though...I try not to grind but it does happen...hopefully eventually you'll get sick of the grinding and intuitively know when to shift...like how those mice learn not to go down the path in the maze that gets you an electric shock =P

the JigGa mAn
01-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Tekdemon

Haven't you guys ever have the grind NOT show up? This will happen if you match the revs correctly by accident and do the shift. So if you wanna try and attempt double clutching just shift into neutral, let go of the clutch, rev to the right rpm, slam clutch and shift and it should be smooth...of course you have to do all this REALLY fast so your shift doesn't take 30 seconds.

now im just wondering how would you match the revs correctly?
i.e before shifting your at 6000rpm..hit clutch...rev up to about 6400rpm...hit clutch...shift to next gear?

i just wasnt clear on what you were talking about and how to do it

Tekdemon
01-18-2003, 11:54 AM
Well to be honest I don't know the exact revs you should be at for each gear...but there should be a rev speed where the gear and the engine match neatly and easily without the need for a synchro gear...older cars ALWAYS needed double-clutching since synchro gears hadn't been invented yet.

But there's basically a rev speed you want to be at for every shift...too bad it's REALLY hard =P

the JigGa mAn
01-18-2003, 11:57 AM
is this the method you use when racing or driving hard?